Next Question... Generator vs Solar panels?

Next Question... Generator vs Solar panels?

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:06 pm

If I had to choose between getting a small generator or portable solar panels, which one is better? What size, watts, etc for a small trailer? I don't plan to do a lot of boondocking but should have something that will keep my battery charged.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: Next Question... Generator vs Solar panels?

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:56 pm

Ha I just answered that question for myself- several days of rain, van not plugged in, went to start generator and batteries down just enough that generator would not start and that is solely due to the parasitic draws such as CO monitor which others mentioned. I have 228 w solar on roof, but clouds are blocking sun. My bad! I plugged van into cord and within an hour it was good but will leave plugged in as rain is expected. So, I actually have both solar and a 2500 w generator. But both were useless as they depend to a degree on each other. That said, you might consider a single maybe 99 w panel installed on roof so when trailer parked in storage where there is no hookup it will keep battery up. And buy a small quiet generator, Harbor Freight has several that are relatively quiet and easy to use and are not dependent on your battery to start. Then you will quickly learn how much you can do on sunny days with just the small panel and only have to run the generator as needed, maybe not even daily or just when you want to run an appliance needing the load.. And for security you can store generator at your house in case of power outage you could at least keep your fridge cold. Best of both worlds.
That's my two cents for what it's worth
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:13 pm

I wouldn't be without solar. BUT unless you're going to be using it a lot, I'd recommend starting with a generator. It's up to you what size, but you could get a generator that can run the a.c. which isn't an option for you with solar. At this time you're mainly looking for keeping the batteries charged and could get a smaller generator.

To add to info on batteries, I highly recommend that you eventually replace your one battery with two good ones. In all honesty you're going to have to watch your furnace usage overnight with just the single battery.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:50 pm

Barbie, the question is which one will be better for you. We can't really answer that. If I could only have one I would start with the generator. Adding a second battery as Beth recommends also extends the time you don't have to run a generator. Down the line in the future if you find you are comfortable with the spartan life of boondocking you can add a panel of two......

I went to Baja several years ago and made it just fine without solar and ran my generator as needed. But yes I love having the freedom to chose now. Again, Q is a great place to get personal feed back and experience. Having a generator as a back up for your house in emergencies, even if it only runs a few things, and being able to use it on the trailer gives you two reasons for a generator.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:52 pm

they all have good responses .... how you will use it and what you will need it for...
Larry put in an extra two batteries...and wanted to put in two more.... I still might but will depend upon
what next winter brings... and they are the golf cart batteries I think is the term... so bigger ones... I also use my generator can I get by without it...yes if I am spartan... put I stay up late so about 8 I turn on the generator and should turn it off at 10 it often stays on a bit longer but right now no one close by to hear it..
I got it at Harbor Freight a 3500 think it is bigger than my old one...
I think a combo of both is good
sheila
snowball

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:14 am

Would a 2000 watt generator be enough for what I need?

Those with portable solar panels, how many watts do you have?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MelissaD » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:13 am

BarbaraRose wrote:Would a 2000 watt generator be enough for what I need?

Those with portable solar panels, how many watts do you have?

It all depends on your camper and your lifestyle. Normally you add up all the appliances and loads (amps used) you have in the camper and from that determine what size generator or solar cells you need. A 2,200 watt generator would probably work for a trailer with limited loads. When you get into the class A,B and C's you want to be sure the "hotel loads" are separated from the engine batteries so you can leave. But the same basics apply.

There are different types of generators. Honda is sort of the gold standard in RV circles. They have the advantage that you can hook two together to double your output when needed. They are also inverter generators which means they are better for your electronics and being CARB compliant, are allowed in CA. Plus they are much quieter than a construction generator and some are weather resistant.
https://www.campingworld.com/honda-eu22 ... 64QAvD_BwE

Harbor Freight also has one.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-Watt ... MkQAvD_BwE

But all this is useless unless you have the batteries to store power when the generator is shut off. The generator will allow you to run larger loads like AC (if large enough generator) while the generator is in operation. Since there are often "Generator Hours" you need to plan accordingly. Most of us are so use to flipping a switch that we give little thought to power management.

In the end YOU really need to think about what you use and how you live and the loads in your camper. If you don't use the radio/cd player, disconnecting it or have a switch installed if it's not on its own breaker. It can save you one parasitic load. Unplug chargers when not in use, etc... It's all the little parasitic loads that add up and sabotage you.

Melissa
MelissaD

Postby MandysMom » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 am

Barbara, it's good to match watts of solar to Amp hours of battery. For instance if you have a 100 amp battery, you need at least 100 watt solar for efficient charging. Will a smaller watt solar charge it? Yes eventually. But it takes longer. I have 2 of the Lifeline 100 amp batteries. Until June I had a single 128 watt solar panel and it was ok if just maintaining in driveway but if using it was slower to fill back to 100%. In June I added a 99 watt solar panel and that made it much earlier in day for batteries to read full.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:42 pm

Barbie, when I had solar only I had 4 batteries and still was very frugal in usage. I love solar, but honestly believe in your case the best option right now is a generator. As Tina pointed out a generator could be used during a power outage at home, too. Find out the wattage needed for your tt a.c. and if you got a generator that would handle that, you'd be good. You wouldn't be able to run the a.c. and your microwave together unless you went way up in size. If you want to spend less, you can get a smaller generator, just know it limits you later.

Just my opinion.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:08 pm

what is an "inverter" generator?

What options should I look for?

The ones where you pull the cord, are they hard to pull/start? (thinking of my shoulder issues).

What does EPA and CARB mean?

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby chalet05 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:01 pm

My cousin is happy with the Predator 2000 from Harbor Freight. I bought a Honda 2200 that I'd like to sell if anyone is interested. Has less than 10 hours use.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:49 pm

the one I bought was a Predator 3500 it is also a inverter one... Barbie I never could pull one and get it to turn on... this has both options but the way it's mounted can't pull even if I wanted to... it's key less just push a button... my old one had a key to start it with... I honestly think you would be happier with one that isn't a cord start..
sheila
snowball

Postby Toxed2loss » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 am

Glad to see someone mentioned the remote start. I love mine. I boondock most of the time, on a mountain property we bought. I have an onboard generator. But it was gas and it sucked up my RV gas! The fumes are also more toxic than propane fumes. When you run the onboard, windows, vents and doors must remain closed. I liked to cook from scratch, which means steam, which drives up my humidity. As a different person mentioned, when boondocking you don't run the generator full time. I run 2 on, 2 off. That meant I was constrained in my RV for 2 hours out of every 4! I needed to have a back up, but I also needed more autonimy. I started with a Champion 4000w push button electric start, duel fuel. I run mine on propane only. Its a great generator but forcing myself to get out of bed in a 28°F RV, get dressed and go tromping out there to start it in the snow or freezing rain was a real teeth gritter. I got a westinghouse DF (duel fuel) 3600, w/remote start. But I'll warn ya: westinghouse customer service is horrid. They're fine until you have a problem. Then they get nasty and tell you you have to talk with "one of their engineers." It turns out it just a loose network of local repairman. They typically have a 5 month wait list! I watched videos and learned how to fix it myself with a couple of hints from those "local" repairmen. They were 2-5 hrs away. Anyway, With the wireless remote start I set up the generator in a location that I can point the fob at it from the comfort of my bed (with 8 blankets). I have an electric milk house heater plugged in and when the generator comes on, so does the heat. I get up when its warm enough.

3600 watts will run my lights, charge my electronics and run my refrigerator and cooktop. It can simultaniously run one big item: heater or microwave or water heater.

We are in the middle of getting our well up and running. We had the pump installed last weekend. My husband was digging trench for pipe and conduit when we got rained out. Its still raining, but we bought an onan 7500/9000 DF with wireless remote!

The solar system is still on the drawing board. I'm part way through a remodel to install a tiny wood stove. With the 2 on/off model, I'm freezing for the two off. I dress in so many layers (on cold days) I look like a Himalayan goat herder! So the tiny wood stove idea was born.

Hope this was helpful.
Just because I'm disabled does not mean that I'm unabled.

The majority of disabilities are invisable. You never know what someone else is dealing with. Cut them the slack you'd like to receive.
Toxed2loss

Postby WickedLady » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:38 pm

I have two batteries and 300 watts of solar which runs my fridge, TV, and reading lamp and probably more but have not needed more. I also have a 3300 Champion genny for running the AC but it is very heavy so not really portable.
If you get a small genny be sure it has a 30 amp outlet; they don't all come with one.
WickedLady

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues