battery questions

battery questions

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 am

I need to buy a new battery for my trailer. Any suggestions on type, brand, etc.? I know nothing about batteries.

I am also wondering if a fully charged battery will last me a week in Q? I know the battery is used for lights, various small appliances, but are there other things that feed off the battery? I have never boondocked before. Any other advice is welcome. :D
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Re: battery questions

Postby MandysMom » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:46 am

You might check batteryguys.com of Glendale AZ. They ship free and gave me great information when I replaced the van house batteries last spring. Wanted to be sure the Lifeline we had used the first time was still my best choice. They were great. Phone 800-350.8101
Velda
MandysMom

Postby MelissaD » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:52 am

You will want a deep cycle battery. They will handle that type of load better. As for how long it will last? Can't say, it depends on your loads. Appliances use power. LED lights use less power than the standard camper bulbs. Many loads may not work without shore power. The CO2 detector alone which is hardwired to battery alone will drain a battery in about 3 days. There a many "parasite loads" in a modern camper. Those who go out to the desert normally have a battery bank (2-3 batteries) and a way to keep them charged like solar of a generator. If you just went out with 1 standard camper battery I don't think it would last more than 24 hours at best. 12 hours if you ran heat or a TV. You'd want every thing switched over to gas that you could like fridge and hot water.

You really need to set a camper up to go out in the desert.

MelissaD
MelissaD

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:00 am

What Melissa shared and/or you bring a small generator and run it briefly each day to charge up as needed. There is also a learning curve to boondocking off grid with limited power. I now have solar but I spent many years traveling and parking with only one battery and a generator. As Melissa mentioned you run everything you can off propane, run many things like additional lights for reading at night off their own batteries and you mostly just do without what you would do if you were plugged in. Similar to water usage when some of us head off to boondock for long periods of time and have to make do with limited water.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:06 am

I don't know what system Mitch travels with now but she experimented with and travels with several portable solar panels that were fairly easy for her to move around and set up. They provided enough juice to keep her tech charged. Unless you have a lot of solar and a series of batteries for storage you are not going to be watching TV etc.

When you go to Q visit Solar Bill's and they can give you a personal response. Everyone's "wants and needs" are going to be different.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:55 am

I don't watch tv and the fridge and stove are propane of course. For Q I don't really need to use any kitchen appliances that I can think of. Will mostly eat out or cook on the stove. Does my furnace use electric or propane? I am thinking propane but maybe also electric for the blower? I can use some of those stick up lights as well.
I will look into a small generator or portable solar panels. Can't afford much right now other than the basics.
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby avalen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:50 pm

Your furnace is propane but the fan runs off the battery. Your fridge is propane but the panel that controls the fridge runs off the battery. Also your pump for running water will use battery. Lyn used a solar suitcase to keep her batteries charged. But like was already said,, deep cycle is what you want.
Walmart sells them pretty reasonable, marine/rv battery.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby snowball » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:04 pm

bring flashlights or lanterns as well...
I couldn't figure out why but when I first got here and this is soooo hard to explain but on the panel showing what ever it shows... shows how much I know about that panel... all I truly know is it has the green area the yellow area and the red area... after it's been charged and I have turned off the generator and unplugged 90 percent of stuff put the radio on battery it will stay green for anywhere from 30mins if lucky to 1 hour but usually about 45 minutes then goes down to the yellow.. and stay that way till I go to bed except for when I first got here... and it would go into the red fairly quickly so I was reading by lantern found out that the light bulb was the culprit changed an older bulb to one of the twisted ones and now it stays in the yellow till I am ready for bed.... I wish I understood better why it goes out of the green to the yellow so quickly... perhaps I will ask the RV mechanic when he comes...
so check to make sure your light bulbs are the hot ones... :roll:
sheila
snowball

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:12 pm

You want your fixtures or bulbs to be led's. Many newer rv's are coming with the led fixtures. But even mine from 2014 didn't, so I immediately switched out all my bulbs to led's.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:51 pm

OK, so looking at batteries, they all offer different AH numbers. What number should I be looking for? I didn't see an AH number on my current battery. Really don't know what I need.

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:36 pm

BarbaraRose wrote:OK, so looking at batteries, they all offer different AH numbers. What number should I be looking for? I didn't see an AH number on my current battery. Really don't know what I need.

The highest you can afford. And I still say you should get two batteries to replace the single you currently have.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby BarbaraRose » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:52 pm

Does this one look like something that would work?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BS1ZB15/ ... RT58C?th=1

-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MelissaD » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:00 am

BarbaraRose wrote:Does this one look like something that would work?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BS1ZB15/ ... RT58C?th=1

OK, now you need to figure out the loads in your camper. What's drawing on that battery. See list and add them up. Remember some items like radios draw power when they are off (so they can see remote control).

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformation ... p-draw.asp

Good luck Melissa
MelissaD

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues