Brake controller

Brake controller

Postby WickedLady » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:59 pm

Figure I am going to need a brake controller. Which one do you gals use and do you like it?
WickedLady

Re: Brake controller

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:58 pm

I use a Brake Buddy. Bought it on Ebay. Works great and the people at Brake Buddy are great answering questions.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:49 pm

When I was doing all the research into setting up my future travel trailer, RV.net and the Sienna Forum highly recommended the Prodigy brake controller. Since I know NOTHING about brake controllers, I went with the one most recommended by people WAY more knowledgeable than me. And so far, so good (including all over Montana and western Alberta.

If you're a member of rv.net, go over and search 'brake controller' - lots of posts.

Michelle
mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 pm

There are two "brake controllers". If you're driving a motorhome and towing you need one that goes on your tow vehicle. If you drive a truck and pull a trailer or fiver, you need a different thing entirely. Not sure but I think the Prodigy is for the latter type of towing. Call the people at Brake Buddy and ask what they recommend then see if you can find it used on Ebay or Craigs list. I saved several hundred dollars buying an older used model on Ebay. Since they are basically a compressor that presses your brake pedal in your tow vehicle, how much improvement can they make on newer models?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Paulette » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:48 pm

There is another one made by Blue Ox (I think) called "Auto Stop" (I think). Boy, I'm doing a lot of thinking here. Anyway, it is installed on your vehicle and therefore there is no "box" to lug around and put into place. I'm not sure, but I think (there I go again) it works through your electric cable when you are towing. Anyway, once I research it a bit more, I think that is what I am going to go with. I just don't like the idea of another "box" I have to position and lug around. Call me lazy.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby WickedLady » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks ladies. I have been checking and the Prodigy seems like a good one money-wise and useage as it adjusts for any terrain whether up or down.
Not sure yet whatall I need to go with it; like wiring but hope to find a good mechanic to install it for me that knows the electical issues.
Marda
WickedLady

Postby Birdie » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 pm

Both Camping World and U-Haul do the install. If you have a newer TV it may have a connector and cable setup when you just have to plug it in. My 2007 Toyota came that way. Shouldn't be as expensive to install as the cost of the unit - under $100 for my Prodigy and another $75 to install - go figure that one out. But hey I couldn't do it.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues