How to exercise the generator

How to exercise the generator

Postby Redetotry » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:46 pm

While they were checking over my RV at the garage, they got my generator started!! I have forgotten the process of exercising it periodically. Do I have the engine off, the battery disconnect turned on, then start the generator and let it run 5 ? minutes before turning on the A/C or heat and let that run for entire time I run the generator? Which I is 30 minutes or 1 hour? I still haven't spent the night in it and this is the 3rd summer I've had it. :oops:
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Re: How to exercise the generator

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:49 pm

Yes, you should turn your vehicle engine off and start your generator. Then let it run a couple of minutes before turning on AC. Heat does not take enough power to "exercise" generator. And let it run for at least 30 minutes. I believe you should leave the battery disconnect switch on, otherwise it will not be able to run the AC.

However, and this is a BIG one, check the oil in your generator BEFORE you turn it on

I made a $3,000 mistake and had to have mine rebuilt. I had used it very seldom, although I did have it serviced and the oil changed the year before. (Supposed to change oil once per year.)

I was dry camping and decided to put some hours on my generator, as recommended by my cousin, so I ran my generator for 4 hours one day last fall. It stopped because it was out of oil and the engine seized up. What happened is that the little oil dipstick had come loose and oil sprayed everywhere. I was lucky the oil did not catch fire. The Cummins guy showed me how to check the oil and make sure the dipstick was screwed in so I know what to do from now on.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:37 pm

Actually, my electric heater is enough to use in cold weather to exercise the generator. So I vary between the a.c. or the electric heater depending on weather. I try to make sure to run it an hour/month. 1/2 per month would be the minimum.

As Judy said, engine off, not plugged into power, battery on. My rig requires the power to be plugged into a specific plug to run the generator. Not all rigs require that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:30 am

Thank you Beth and Judy!! My generator stopped working last summer so my brother put Star Tron in the gas tank before I stored it for the winter. Last week when I took it to the garage for them to change the engine oil and charge the batteries that had run down over the winter even though they had it plugged into electric, she also checked the generator and got it started. The bill listed the charge as cleaned needle and seat/generator. There is no mention of oil. I was happy she checked it because the RV place I take it to doesn't work on generators. Now I just need to drive it to keep everything working!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:55 am

I recommend you drive your RV while you are exercising your generator. Everything needs to be used. It's not good for one to just sit. Go shopping, run errands, just go somewhere. Sometimes the generator will start better if the engine is running and the coach batteries aren't strong. I usually camp about once a month so I just run the generator and air conditioner while I'm on the road.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:27 am

I would be concerned about why the coach batteries drained if plugged in. That shouldn't happen. And Martha is right about the generator won't start if the coach batteries don't have enough power. So start with the engine off, then turn it on if the generator won't start and if it starts right up then, you'll know it's the batteries.

Her suggestion to take it for a ride is excellent... You don't want it sitting months in the same positron. My only blowout was caused by my second workamping job where my rig wasn't moved for months... I now make sure my rig is moved at least monthly even when workamping.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:54 pm

Acadianmom wrote:I recommend you drive your RV while you are exercising your generator. Everything needs to be used. It's not good for one to just sit. Go shopping, run errands, just go somewhere. Sometimes the generator will start better if the engine is running and the coach batteries aren't strong. I usually camp about once a month so I just run the generator and air conditioner while I'm on the road.

Martha
Thank you, I will do this, sometimes in summer I need more A/C when driving.

Did you mean to say it will start better if the engine is running and the coach batteries aren't on instead of strong? And if the house battery turned off, do I turn it on after the generator is running good?
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:59 pm

Bethers wrote:I would be concerned about why the coach batteries drained if plugged in. That shouldn't happen. And Martha is right about the generator won't start if the coach batteries don't have enough power. So start with the engine off, then turn it on if the generator won't start and if it starts right up then, you'll know it's the batteries.

Her suggestion to take it for a ride is excellent... You don't want it sitting months in the same positron. My only blowout was caused by my second workamping job where my rig wasn't moved for months... I now make sure my rig is moved at least monthly even when workamping.

Yes, everyone was surprised that both house and engine batteries were dead. They stored it plugged in last year and they both were fine. BUT, I don't know if I had my battery disconnect on or off this year, I think the switch was off.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:53 pm

If you had battery disconnect on they won't charge. You should also start the engine at least every month even if you don't drive.

The reason it would start with the engine running is because it would pull from the engine battery then... Actually, the engine battery and alternator would be charging the house batteries... So if they had drained, the engine being started would allow the generator to start. It not starting without the engine on but will with the engine started means the house batteries are too drained.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:28 pm

Bethers wrote:If you had battery disconnect on they won't charge. You should also start the engine at least every month even if you don't drive.

The reason it would start with the engine running is because it would pull from the engine battery then... Actually, the engine battery and alternator would be charging the house batteries... So if they had drained, the engine being started would allow the generator to start. It not starting without the engine on but will with the engine started means the house batteries are too drained.

I never had any battery problems with the' 03 I had. I would take it in in November and didn't even have them plug it in and batteries were all good when I took it out in April. I think the newerones have too many things now that can draw on the battery. I did notice that a light switch had been turned on. They are right beside the side door where most go in and out and it is easy to bump one on. The generator wasn't working on it though when I got it and I never had it fixed. So many things to learn!! I appreciate all the help!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Redetotry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:30 pm

Redetotry wrote:
Bethers wrote:If you had battery disconnect on they won't charge. You should also start the engine at least every month even if you don't drive.

I never had any battery problems with the' 03 I had. I would take it in in November and didn't even have them plug it in and batteries were all good when I took it out in April. I think the newer ones have too many things now that can draw on the battery. I did notice that a light switch had been turned on. They are right beside the side door where most go in and out and it is easy to bump one on. The generator wasn't working on the '03 though when I got it and I never had it fixed. So many things to learn!! I appreciate all the help!
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Redetotry wrote:
Acadianmom wrote:I recommend you drive your RV while you are exercising your generator. Everything needs to be used. It's not good for one to just sit. Go shopping, run errands, just go somewhere. Sometimes the generator will start better if the engine is running and the coach batteries aren't strong. I usually camp about once a month so I just run the generator and air conditioner while I'm on the road.

Martha
Thank you, I will do this, sometimes in summer I need more A/C when driving.

Did you mean to say it will start better if the engine is running and the coach batteries aren't on instead of strong? And if the house battery turned off, do I turn it on after the generator is running good?

If you have the coach batteries turned off I don't think the generator will start at all. What I mean is, the engine running will give an extra boost to the coach batteries.

Like Beth said, if you have the coach batteries turned off they won't be charging even thought you have it plugged into electric.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues