internet

internet

Postby havingfunnow » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:43 pm

So, has anybody here ever used a Mobley device for their hotspot? Apparently AT&T is offering them again as a promotion.

www.rvmobileinternet.com/att-20-month-u ... -campaign/
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Re: internet

Postby Birdie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:54 pm

Louise, that looks like it might work well for some folks, especially if they are in a good AT&T signal area. One thing for sure, it will go one of three ways: Great, OK, Crappy. Will be interesting to see how it works out. I know if I got it, I would be looking for one of the adapters to plug it in the wall.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:07 pm

I agree with Birdie. For the price it could be a great solution for some. But if you're considering it, jump on the bandwagon before it's too late.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:17 am

Well, the power adapter just arrived, and it took me about five minutes to unbox it and get online. It seems pretty good in this first trial; we'll see how stable it is over time. At the moment, I'm glad I got it.
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby Birdie » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:50 pm

I am glad to hear that it is working for you Louise. If you have time, keep us posted on here from time to time on how this works for you, especially as you travel. Being stopped and in a good signal area this should be top dog. Really like to know how it works on the wheels. Have fun with it.
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Postby havingfunnow » Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:30 pm

I can say today that, when it has grabbed a connection, it is very comparable to the hotspot on my 4G cell phone -- fast enough to stream video on both Youtube and Netflix. Very happy with that, especially since it's so inexpensive.

On the other hand, it has trouble holding the signal. I think this is because the nearest ATT tower is 15 miles away, and there is some unfortunate geography in between. I dragged out the WeBoost, and it helps, but not much.

The next step is to drive north toward the cell tower and see how it does with a strong signal. If it's stable over several hours, I'll probably get a better antennae for the WeBoost. I always expect weak signal when I'm out. :lol: I'm pleased with the idea of some redundancy to my systems -- cell phone uses Verizon towers and Mobley uses ATT.

So that's the plan for the first day this coming week that has good weather. That is, a day without the polar vortex, ice storms, or high and damaging winds!
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby Birdie » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:03 pm

That is sounding really great for you. Love that you are getting pretty good stuff. May you get even better signals once you get that geographic block moved! Looking forward to seeing how that works. Also, a better antenna or a booster can often fix those pesky dropped signals. Will look forward to future reports. Thanks!
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Postby Birdie » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:25 pm

Louise, I heard this past week at the RVillage Rally that the Mobley dropping the signal is a happening. But the reason is because it is made to be used in a vehicle and used to entertain ‘the kids in the back’. So to keep it from dropping the signal do something that makes it move enough to imitate a car moving. That will make the signal hold, or so ‘they said’! That would be an easy fix. It got an atta boy with the ‘but’ don’t be surprised if AT&T drops the plan as they tend to do that. So you should make out like a bandit while you can.
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Postby havingfunnow » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks, Birdie -- but the device itself bricked -- I only got to use it for six weeks! I spent a day and a half dealing with their tech support, but no joy (I suspect none of them had ever seen a Mobley). Needless to say, I'm still unhappy with AT&T!
Louise
havingfunnow

Postby Cudedog » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:00 am

havingfunnow wrote:Thanks, Birdie -- but the device itself bricked -- I only got to use it for six weeks! I spent a day and a half dealing with their tech support, but no joy (I suspect none of them had ever seen a Mobley). Needless to say, I'm still unhappy with AT&T!

I totally and utterly despise AT&T.

All of my experiences with them have been dismal. Actually, less than dismal.

Tech support - When I had AT&T as my internet service provider, and had problems (which were many and varied) I never was able to speak to anyone who could speak clear, ungarbled, unaccented English. I actually could not understand what was being said to me, and when I asked to be transferred to someone who spoke clear English, the person I would be transferred to would be worse than the first one.

Eventually, the call would be "accidentally" dropped, and I would then need to call back and start the process all over again.

I have had Comcast for about a year now, and have no complaints.

Just read that a class action lawsuit has been filed against AT&T, the subject of the suit being that AT&T was not completely truthful with stockholders when promising stockholders the world for their new "Direct-TV" service.

Big surprise, there. [not]

Sorry about your problems with the Mobey.

Anne
The Stone Wind
Hand Made Hammered Copper & Natural Stone Jewelry
https://www.etsy.com/shop/thestonewind/
Cudedog

Postby Bethers » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:58 am

Anne, and I have had your experiences with Verizon. In fact, switched from AT&T to Verizon because everyone swore I'd have better coverage traveling (wrong) and I switched back still in my contract period with Verizon because of problems, particularly customer service problems. I guess it's who we all get the "luck" of dealing with.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby havingfunnow » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 am

I agree with you, Beth. I've even dealt with Microsoft tech support who knew less about their programs than I did, for heaven's sake. I guess that's what happens when a company pays starvation wages for what should be a skilled service job.
Louise
havingfunnow

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues