Shower Floor Flexing

Shower Floor Flexing

Postby JudyJB » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:47 am

This is probably part of my being so nervous about more things breaking on my motorhome, but ever since this thing was new, my shower floor has flexed when I stand on it and move around. (I really prefer a nice, firm tiled floor, but I know that is not realistic.)

Anyway, I have lost weight, not gained any, but I have recently occasionally noticed some leaking around my shower. I used some silicone putty a few months ago between where the shower floor butts up against the shower walls, and that seemed to solve the problem. BUT, the other day, as I was driving four miles to the city dump station because there is no dump station in this campground, I noticed that was more staining around the floor next to my shower and even a little water in the hallway, just outside the bathroom where the shower is. Maybe it was the water in the tank sloshing around since it was full????

When I get up the courage and have time, I am going to remove the small access panel and see if anything is loose, but in the meantime, how much does your shower floor flex? Mine seems to flex a lot, and I am glad I don't weigh more than I do. Never had a really heavy person in there, either.

Maybe I need to call the Fleetwood customer service people in Indiana. I hate to ask the Fleetwood service people here in Oregon because they will start investigating and charge me a fortune, beyond the fortune I have already spent there this year. The thing is, I don't know if I am imagining that the softness of the shower floor is a serious problem or if it is just normal.

I imagine myself stepping into the shower some night and falling into the grey water tank right underneath it! Better than sitting on the toilet and falling into the black water tank, I suppose! :o
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Shower Floor Flexing

Postby BirdbyBird » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:16 am

Judy, I have had a problem with water leaking around the bathroom area. Hopefully in the past but? It could be come from any number of sources in that area. The loose seams around the shower stall. (as you already thought of) Loose joints in the drain system. Leaks from any of the water piping in the area. In my case my sink is right next to the shower and so small that I never use it but that doesn't mean it didn't leak.....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby cpatinjones » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:08 am

Hello,
I had the same problem of flexing in shower floor causing leaks. I had it caulked several years ago, but didnt last. The flexing breaks seal of caulking after awhile.
Recently, having leaking problem again. The RV repair tech said could recaulk, but could not promise how long will work before problems again. The other option, very costly, was to remove shower and brace underneath to prevent flexing. I chose to brace flooring underneath shower floor. It seems some RV industry brands dont do a great job of solid construction underneath shower flooring.

Also, your fittings could be loose.

With all that said, my RV is back in shop. Still have leak. Checking to see if same problem or something new.
Carolyn
35' Cougar 5th Wheel, F-250
Escapees, Good Sam, RVing Women
Slept in my RV
cpatinjones

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:41 am

I have seen on some of the Facebook RV sites that RV showers aren't meant to be caulked because of the flexing. The floor pan is suppose to have a taller lip that goes up behind the walls. I went out an looked at my shower and it's caulked and it doesn't look like any of it has broken. As a matter of fact it's double caulked. There is something that looks like a half round molding around the pan and it's caulked above and below the molding. I have to say Coach House builds a solid rig. I have never felt any give in the floor at all.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:56 pm

Martha, I've heard the same. My last rig had give and no caulking and I was told not to caulk. This rig has give (more than the last and from day one) in the floor and no calling, but, knock on wood, I've had no leaking in either.

Judy, if you overflow the grey tank does it come up the bath shower drain? That could have been a problem if you were really full and it was sloshing up/over while driving?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 am

It was definitely not in the shower pan, and mine had chalking around the pan. I think I need to lay down on the floor and take off the access panel, but I have been swamped with end of semester things. Maybe next week??

At least I am glad to hear others have flexing shower floors.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:16 pm

Judy~
Mine flexes also as well as the walls. I was also told the same things Martha mentioned, as well as not to caulk. They are built to be flexible as you rumble down the road. Maybe you're just noticing the flex now after losing weight...which by the, congrats!
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Irmi » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:26 pm

Our shower floor does not flex and Steve is a big boy, so this is something I will definitely keep an eye on. As was mentioned, when our gray tank is very full, it does come up into the shower, which is a sign we need to do something real quick.
Irmi

Postby monik7 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:20 pm

Mine does not flex.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby JudyJB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:31 am

Interesting. Who would think when they buy an RV to check to see if the shower floor flexes!

Mine has not leaked since that day when I drove to the dump station, but I have also not gotten the panel off and inspected things. I have been really busy with class, but I did manage to clean out three drawers. Why? Because i have put my senior pass in another safe place, apparently, and cannot find it!!
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Liz » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:49 pm

My shower pan flexed on the Class C I had. I thought I had evidence of leaking on the floor around the shower. I did take the access panel off, and it was dry underneath with no leaks. I determined that it was water splashing out the curtain while I showered.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby monik7 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 pm

Liz wrote:My shower pan flexed on the Class C I had. I thought I had evidence of leaking on the floor around the shower. I did take the access panel off, and it was dry underneath with no leaks. I determined that it was water splashing out the curtain while I showered.

I had a similar experience Liz and came to the same conclusion. Now I make sure to run some water down the wall edges and then press the shower curtain against the wet wall from as high up as possible and all the way down to the bottom. That way it stays pretty well attached to the wall and keeps the water inside the pan. Plus I make sure the rest of the curtain stays inside the pan. Since I’ve been doing that, no water on the floor.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:05 pm

JudyJB wrote:Interesting. Who would think when they buy an RV to check to see if the shower floor flexes!

Mine has not leaked since that day when I drove to the dump station, but I have also not gotten the panel off and inspected things. I have been really busy with class, but I did manage to clean out three drawers. Why? Because i have put my senior pass in another safe place, apparently, and cannot find it!!

hope you have better luck than I am finding something
sheila
snowball

Postby JudyJB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:35 pm

My shower has a glass sliding door, so hard to blame water on a shower curtain. :lol:

And at least I have six really straightened-out drawers. And I even sorted stuff out from under my bed. No senior pass, so I stopped today and bought a one-year senior pass for $20 so I can make some reservations for 2019. I figure that will give me time to have the pass show up. Hated to spend the money, but I am tired of cleaning out drawers.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 pm

I cleaned the crud from where the shower seems to be leaking so I could tell what was going on. (Have not had time yet to open the panel.)

I drove to town both yesterday and today--had to go back for a haircut when they were too busy for a drop-in yesterday. Both times, there was a tiny bit of water coming from underneath the shower, so I am guessing something is loose under there. There has been absolutely no leaking when I take a shower or afterwards, or when I am sitting parked all day.

Anyway, it is not much leaking, but it is end-of-semester, and I just cannot take the time to do anything until the end of next week.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues