HELP!!! Solar Not Charging

Re: HELP!!! Solar Not Charging

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

Sandi, I hate saying this, but 11 is dead. Why don't you turn the batteries off for now?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Bethers wrote:Sandi, I hate saying this, but 11 is dead. Why don't you turn the batteries off for now?

I do have the house power turned off. I don’t know, Bill didn’t see a problem when I told him they were at 11 - 11.5 when the generator is off. They are AGM batteries and that may make a difference. I suppose he could be wrong - or right :roll: I guess I’ll just have to see what happens when I go to Quartzsite.
Sandi
Last edited by monik7 on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:03 pm

It scares me that he doesn't have a problem with that.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Is that chart for AGM batteries? I found this quote online: “In many cases, AGM batteries that seem to be bad are perfectly fine. They are just deeply discharged.” Apparently you have to use a battery charger specifically for AGM batteries. A charger for lead batteries won’t charge a battery that has gone below 10.5 because it thinks it’s dead (as your chart shows). But apparently AGM batteries are a “different animal.”
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:06 pm

I have agm batteries. There are some who believe they can be drained lower, but most still say 50%. That said, less than 10% is considered dead. Can they be revived? Probably. Will they have a much shortened life, yes.
Beth
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:36 pm

We’ll see what happens in Q. If it turns out to be a solar panel problem, I wonder if I can get Solar Bill’s to do something about the batteries that are probably damaged causing shortened life. In the meantime, there’s a Napa store right next to my storage. I’m going to see tomorrow if they can charge them. Boy do I dislike this kind of stuff! Just makes me worry all the time.

I think it’s just anticipating more money going out. Yesterday after finally getting a hearing test because much of the time, even though I can hear people talking, very often I can’t understand what they said. At certain levels the doctor said my loss was “profound” and she was surprised I’m doing as well as I am. I see a big bill for hearing aids by mid-December - right when property tax is due :evil:
Sandi

monik7

Postby snowball » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:45 pm

Sandi
hopefully I will be in Q by then
sheila
snowball

Postby monik7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:17 pm

snowball wrote:Sandi
hopefully I will be in Q by then
sheila

Sent you a PM Sheila.
Sandi

monik7

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:28 pm

Aww, Sandi, sorry about the hearing loss. People didn't believe I had one way back when... Somehow we compensate. Now I feel mine is much worse but I just think my brain isn't compensating as well anymore? I'd like to get new hearing aids this winter... If I can budget them in. My current ones are getting old.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Liz » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:13 pm

Hope you can get it resolved easily in Quartzsite, Sandi.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby WickedLady » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:27 pm

Whatever it is, it's going around. Just had the same thing happen to my house battery. Don't know why and it is a brand new battery. Did great for 8 days and then died. Was hooked to my solar.
WickedLady

Postby monik7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:24 pm

Went to Napa today. What a waste of time. I’ll never set foot in that store again. They wouldn’t help with any information and insisted if I wanted the batteries charged I’d have to bring them in. Wouldn’t even help if I brought the RV to the front of the store. My bringing them would be impossible because of how heavy they are. So I went to AutoZone and was met at the door by an older guy asking what he could help me with. After showing me battery chargers and my getting completely confused as to how to use them properly, I asked if he would look at my setup if I brought the RV to the store. Since he was OK with that, I brought it over. He looked and said they could charge them for free, he got some tools to disconnect them, and put them on a cart and into the store. So they’re there now being charged. I hope he will be willing to put them back in. I’m quite strong “for a girl,” but I’m not so sure I could manage them plus get them hooked back up correctly. I’m a little afraid to ask, but I’m desperate. Hopefully I can play the “damsel in distress” card and be successful. I think this will only solve a portion of my problems, but at least it’ll be something and I hopefully won’t have to worry the next couple weeks about the batteries being discharged. We’ll see.
Sandi

monik7

Postby avalen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Sandi, not to stress, auto zone is great for that. They will most definitely put them in for you
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Azusateach » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:22 pm

Sandi, if you ever need to disconnect something in your rig and are afraid you won’t remember how to reconnect it, take a picture of it BEFORE disconnecting. Then when you go to reconnect you’ll have a picture of how it should go. I did that once with one of my trailers when I needed to disconnect one of the 2 batteries on my tongue and was afraid I’d forget which cable went where. Worked like a charm. :)

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Bethers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:38 pm

I love Auto Zone. And, yes, pictures are smart.
Beth
Bethers

PreviousNext

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues