the batteries charged so I will have to run the genny
on occasion. Even if I WAS on solar, the fridge would
still depend on the propane right? (I'm still researching
solar)
So here's the plan, or should I say test,,,Maggie and I
are going to load up Somewhere and head off to the
White Mtns, for about a week and see how it goes so
I'll know what to expect on the budget. Its also a good
test to make sure the fridge doesn't get weird on me.
It worked fine on electricity.
Hope I didn't confuse anybody, I've done enough of that
on myself with information overload researching solar :-)
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: Boondocking and the fridge

Postby Birdie » Thu May 04, 2017 6:35 pm

When you run out of propane or your battery is depleted. Propane should keep your food safe as long as it is feeding the refrigerator. If you run your generator about 45 minutes or 1 hour every 20-24 hours to keep your batteries charged you are good. One of my RVing sistahs runs her fridge on propane because she sezs it keeps it colder. I don't know about the facts of her statement. I don't worry about mine. Be sure your house batteries are good. Then go have fun.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Liz » Thu May 04, 2017 7:25 pm

Start out with a full propane tank and you should be fine. The refer doesn't use much. If you start having to run the furnace on propane a lot, watch your propane gauge, and if it gets low, get it refilled. You shouldn't have any problem for the amount of time you will be gone.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby avalen » Thu May 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Thanks girls, I'm looking at my long term budget for my trip to Washington,
so my test trip up in the white mtns hopefully will give me a general idea .
avalen

Postby Bethers » Thu May 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Your rv is going to have a propane tank that is measured by gallons, not weight. And probably holds more than a 20 lb tank. But the fridge doesn't use much propane. Heat does.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Thu May 04, 2017 9:49 pm

when I left the trailer for my trip to Utah at Christmas time I planned on being gone two weeks give or take...was gone just under 3
weeks....when I left I had both tanks full...they are 7 gal tanks...I asked Kerry to check and make sure that there was propane however she forgot when I got home I realized that the lights on the fridge was different and the inverter was showing that the batteries were low...
went out and fixed the problem...switched the tanks...so in just three weeks give or take it used one 7 gal tank of propane ....the only thing that was running was the fridge...hope that helps you oh based on the temp in the fridge it hadn't been out that long...but my fridge will switch automatically from gas to electricity when out of gas or propane...so it drained the batteries as the genny wasn't running to charge the batteries...
sheila
snowball

Postby avalen » Thu May 04, 2017 10:08 pm

Ya Sheila, that helps.
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Fri May 05, 2017 12:18 am

I have no solar batteries, but I once left my motorhome at Salt Lake City airport for 6 days in 90+ degree temps. When I got back, food was still cold and ice cream frozen!!! I could not tell that I had used any propane and my batteries were still not depleted. Still showed 3/4 charge. I think you will be surprised how long propane for the refrigerator lasts.

If you can, try to park so the side where your refrigerator is located is in the shade. That really helps. If you end up with it in the sun, try shading it somehow, especially if it is hot outside.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Birdie » Fri May 05, 2017 11:51 pm

I recently had some issues with my propane tank not showing accurate levels both inside and outside. Service performed a leak test, and checked for safe operation. Said they might have to pull the tank, but as it was safe, fill it up, record what it took and, since I was planning a long road trip, come see them when it was close to empty. That all started in late September. I made a round about trip thru west Texas, east NM up to north central and out west NM to northern AZ, to south central AZ to SE AZ to north central AZ, back to SE AZ, to south central NM to south TX, back up to service in south central TX and in early May had my propane tank repaired. I then filled the tank and it took 13.7 gallons to fill it. So that was the amount I used during that time. It was cold at the Grand Canyon in November. I cooked, ran the heat and the fridge and sometimes the hot water heater. They still had to capture some propane to empty it. Yes my furnace is the big user with my cook stove oven second and burners third in the use categories. I think you will be ok. Just take notes. And do you know the trick of pouring very hot water in a stream on the outside of your tank to see the amount of propane gas in the tank? Works.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby avalen » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 pm

I feel better about propane consumption now, thanks girls. I do the
water trick on my fifthwheel tanks Birdie, ;)
avalen

Postby Redetotry » Mon May 08, 2017 10:43 am

I notice when talking about propane tank you say fill, mine has a big warning to not fill over 80%. I'm beginning to feel like a newbie there are so many things different in my newer van.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby JudyJB » Mon May 08, 2017 1:15 pm

I don't believe it is possible to fill it more than 80% full. Mine is 14 gallons, and I have never put more than 10.5 gallons in it. I was told once that that was because there is always some residual air in it.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Bethers » Mon May 08, 2017 7:15 pm

Redetotry wrote:I notice when talking about propane tank you say fill, mine has a big warning to not fill over 80%. I'm beginning to feel like a newbie there are so many things different in my newer van.

They won't fill you over 80%. That's when it will shut off.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues