furnace

furnace

Postby snowball » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:25 pm

I rarely use the furnace as we have a fireplace that uses propane...however for what ever is the reason the
pilot light isn't staying lite...so went to the furnace...and it is not working the fan will come on infrequently
and for a very short time...the dd's took the hate it the term is gone but the thing off the wall and then replaced (like turning off the computer :lol: and turning it on)
it...the fan will come on but off in just a couple of minutes...
any ideas??? been really cold and am fortunate that I can come into the house can sleep in the house and do but
I wanna be home.... :? I don't even know where to find the furnace...did inquire as to what the thingy on the wall would
cost to replace at a rv place about 79 dollars and non returnable
can I get one from like Lowe's ect to replace the original one ahhhh yes the thermostat!!! finally thought of the name of the thingy
on the wall :roll: have a chuckle at my expense
but any ideas would appreciate...we are hoping that it is the thermo cuplar on the fireplace and then I will be set again
but need to have the furnace fixed as it is good to have back up....
Sheila
snowball

Re: furnace

Postby MelissaD » Thu May 04, 2017 8:21 am

1st make sure you have plenty of propane. The furnace is more touchy about bottle pressure and when the bottles get cold the gas pressure drops.
2nd the furnace is often mounted under the refrigerator (there should be a louvered access panel about 1' high under refrigerator for furnace access) next to the stove so light a stove burner and make sure you have a good flame and the stove and all the air bubbles from changing gas bottles is out of the lines. Some are accessed from outside.
3rd if the furnace still won't light call a tech.

You can try changing the thermostat controller on the wall but it just might be a dirty furnace and require cleaning. If you don't have screens over the exhaust vents wasps like to build nests in there and clog the furnace up. Either way the furnace will require cleaning.

Outside vent looks similar to one of these.
Image Image

So far every time my furnace would not light, I've had air in the line or a bottle that was empty or near empty. Put on a fresh (full) propane bottle, bleed the lines by lighting the stove, and then the furnace would light for me.

Good luck.
MelissaD

Postby snowball » Thu May 04, 2017 9:57 pm

I think it is pretty full...but due to abandoning the fifth wheel for warmer places (my daughter's house) I haven't ran the stove
the air temps were pretty cold so the bottles would be cold as well...tomorrow I will look outside and see what I see
thanks for the ideas...
sheila
snowball

Postby avalen » Thu May 04, 2017 10:05 pm

Since you've been using the fireplace for heat, is it possibly the
gas is turned off on the furnace, if I think back, doesn't your fireplace
have its own propane supply?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Fri May 05, 2017 12:24 am

I am having very similar problems, except my thermostat is making a series of little clicking sounds every once in a while. The last couple of days, it just is not working at all. Turns the furnace on but then shuts it off right away. I have been relying on my rear furnace and electric heater.

I bought a new thermostat a couple of months ago when it started making funny noises, and just been lazy about replacing it. Son is going to help me with that and another little project on Sunday.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues