Compressors

Compressors

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:19 pm

Okay, who of you carry a compressor? I'm paranoid about tire pressure so I carry a small compressor. Think I was a boy scout in a previous life - you know, Be Prepared.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Compressors

Postby Paulette » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:50 pm

I just recently bought a gadget that is a battery and compressor in one. Of course, it will probably take about an hour to add pressure to one of my tires, but I haven't tried it out yet to find out. I plan on putting it in the rv. It also has cables to jump start batteries and outlets to use to charge things like cell phones, etc.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Liz » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:55 pm

I just bought a small compresser to carry in the PleasureWay, because of reading about the air springs maintenance.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:02 pm

Don't carry one. Used yours in Kerrville LOL - that's the 2nd time I've used someone elses in 3 1/2 years - so don't figure it's something I need to have onboard. And the one that Jill and Tommy had wouldn't have worked to do my tires - the cords didn't reach - so beware when buying - that if they won't reach where you need them from, they won't be of much use. Yours, Karen, was a super duper one :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:24 pm

I had originally bought a smaller one at Walmart but it took FOREVER to air up the RV tires. Got this one for about $100 at a Harbor Freight. I bought one when I had a low tire on the RV and couldn't get to the air lines at a gas station. Also use it to air up my bike tires. I check my tires before I leave when I've been parked for a week or more. My biggest fear: BLOW OUT.

Was particularly interested in the rubber roof info. I was just talking to my RV guy about resealing it next fall when I return to Kerrville. My rig is a 2001 so its coming up on 10 years and its always sat outside. Want to do it BEFORE I spring a leak.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby avalen » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:14 pm

I used to carry an air compressor, used it many times too, but it finally quit and I
have not replaced it yet.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Bethers » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Again, the rubber roof itself will very, very rarely spring a leak - even at 20 - 25 years and more, from what they told me. The problem areas are the seals around everything - and that should be checked at least every year. Let me put it this way - rubber roofs, the same kind as on rv's - are on many, many businesses - including a large amount of Wal-mart stores. Why? Because they don't require maintenance.

That said - my rubber roof got damaged along an edge. I fixed it with the same stuff you'd use to seal around the air conditioner, etc. And I learned the hard way not to use the wrong product - as the first one I purchased and someone else put on for me, didn't work correctly - I'll bet you it had petroleum in it. But the 2nd one I purchased and did myself, did not - although I don't know for sure it was called Lap Sealant - going to have to check :)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:17 pm

Cedar here waving her hand,.... yep I carry a compressor in my Ford Escape. Not only have I used it when camping but also it's been handy when others have needed it and are amazed that a "little lady" has the right tools! HAHA..... :lol:
Cedar518

Postby Nasoosie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 am

I, too, always carry a small compressor that can jump start, blow up tires, blow out pipes, and power up 12 volt appliances, like small TVs or whatever has a cigarette-like plug on it. It also has a siren and flashing lights on it for emergencies! It can be charged up in any AC outlet and then holds a charge for a long time.....long enough to run my little TV at the leanto for two or three days all night long. (Just realized that that little black and white TV won't work any more down there now, without a conversion box for digital.....rats!)
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues