loose wire somewhere and now no jacks!

loose wire somewhere and now no jacks!

Postby elkriverrats » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:42 pm

Hi all,
While at the Hillsborough SP GTG I had a problem deploying my jacks. My rig is a 2003 Coach House Platinum. The jacks are HWH, not sure of the model at the moment (too cold and windy to go back outside!). To deploy the jacks I have to engage the emergency brake, then turn the key to accessory, then turn on the jack control panel. The unit powers on but lights up that the parking brake is not engaged. I had seen this once before but went through the steps a couple of times and it straightened itself out. No such luck this time.
Hubby jiggled the wire leading from the brake and both the dash brake light and the brake light on the HWH panel would go on and off. So we are thinking a loose connection. Called Coach House since we were in the area - could not make an appt for service on short notice but the manager showed us where the wiring was - a big bundle of wrapped wires under a panel near the hood release.
Has anyone else had this problem with their HWH jacks? I don't mind taking it for service at a shop, but am still looking for someone I feel good about. I do have a feeling it is an easy fix....if I can only find the connection!
Also, Martha if you read this (or anyone else with a CH) do you have a wiring diagram in your owner's manual by chance?? I have called CH but haven't gotten a call back yet. Will bug them again tomorrow
Thanks for any advice!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Re: loose wire somewhere and now no jacks!

Postby ypsi56 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 pm

You might want to look on the www.hwhcorp.com website there are some wiring diagrams there, hopefully they may help you.

Betty
ypsi56

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:44 pm

I don't have jacks on my Coach House so I doubt that I would have the wiring diagram. My motorhome is at the shop right now or I would look.

I too would be careful about where I would take this problem. Maybe the company that makes the jacks could recommend a place.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Liz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:12 pm

If you are near Ocala, Tri-Am RV is a reliable company where I take my RV for repairs.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby elkriverrats » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for the input, it is appreciated.
Liz, I am back in Md but I could use an excuse to head back to FL :D
Martha, you are correct that our wiring wouldn't match. My jack control panel is next to the tv above the passenger seat. I can't imagine how it gets there from the brake pedal.
Betty, thanks for the link! I'm going to check it out tomorrow.
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby elkriverrats » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:40 pm

Finally, an update! My hubby is AWESOME!!!
He did troubleshooting looking for loose wires at the emergency brake and we took out the tv and trim to check the HWH control box wiring and fuses. Could not find any issues, the box was clicking when we pushed buttons so everything was powered but still no movement on the jacks or slide. He decided to check the chassis battery bay...one of the nuts had somehow shaken off during my travels and 3 wires were completely disconnected, one of which was the power to the jacks and slide!! His lesson for the day is always check the simple stuff first! I can say I would never have thought to check the battery and he said he has never seen a nut work off like that. He replaced it with a locking nut so hopefully it won't happen again.
I'm beyond thrilled! I hate to be cynical but who knows what would have happened if I took it to a shop. They could tell me anything and I would have to go with it.
He has also fixed a cabinet latch and is researching some led lights to replace our interior bulbs. Happy day :D
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:22 pm

When I think of the roads and potholes and bumps that the rigs go over I have often been amazed that more things don't unravel themselves. I am often finding a screw or nut sitting on the floor. I put it away and once or twice I have actually figured out where it came from or what it came off of...... :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:24 am

I'm glad your husband found the problem. There's no telling what a shop would have charged if they weren't honest.

The roads in Louisiana are so bad I'm amazed my cabinets don't fall sometimes.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby elkriverrats » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 pm

On my usual routes the roads aren't too bad, but the long trip to FL was a different story in spots! I have never noticed anything coming undone before but now I will know to keep an sharper eye out. The wires must have been bouncing around for quite some time without coming off the battery post. The jacks worked intermittently during the two trips prior to the FL trip when they crapped out for good. Guess I'm really lucky that it didn't come completely off when I had the slide out while camping. I'm going to get a lesson in how to manually retract the jacks and slide.
Happy Easter and safe travels to all!
Kelly
2004 Coach House "Penny"
elkriverrats

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues