Slide Types and Manual Emergency Retraction

Slide Types and Manual Emergency Retraction

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 am

After 2 years, I have a better idea of what I want in my next TT. I spoke to a few factory reps and service guys at the new Schaumburg, IL RV yesterday, trying to figure out what the best slide type is and looking for some input.

Emergency retraction is on of my concerns and in case of power outage, what slide type is easiest to retract manually. Yes, I know you should probably never do it manually and you should call someone, but after talking to these folks, there is always that 'what if' scenario. I have yet to find a mobile RV tech in IL, so if anyone has a better way of finding one, I'd be glad to know how.

Anyway, there are hydraulic slides (Winnebago & Itasca mostly, but some others), mechanical, and cable. Big slide types are Lippert & Schwintek. Here is some information I found out.

Cable (pulley mechanism) slides are the cheapest mechanically speaking (my opinion), but seems they are the easiest to retract manually if needed. Above the slide is usually an access panel (usually some sort of decorative design in the center of the wood around the slide), that pops off and there is a fitting for a power drill that will pull the slide in easily.

Lippert (mechanical) type of slides usually have a small circle opening on the outside of the rig located opposite of the slide. The RV should come with a manual crank (approx 1 1/2' - 2' long) handle that fits into this small opening. Also seems to be easy to do.

Other power gear / mechanical slides, which may include the Schwintek (not sure), are harder to manually retract. First, locate the electrical box within the rig. There is an electrical controller (usually plug type of connection) which should be disconnected. Next, you would need to go under the slide, and locate the slide out motor and unlock the brake (similar to a toggle switch), and flip that. Then locate the hex nut /drive and manually crank it with a wrench. Once it starts to crank it will be easier to do, but could be time consuming.

Another mechanical slide type may be able to be pulled in with a drill, but these also are usually located underneath the rig. Some TT manufacturers are now enclosing the underside of the TT for '3 season camping'. There may or may not be an access panel across from the slide. If one does not exist, you'll need to cut a panel opening in order to crank in the slide. Check with the manufacturer to identify the location of where is this located.

Based on videos I've watched after talking to these factory reps & service guys, these same types of manual retractions can also be done on B+, C & A type of RVs, Hope this is helpful. If anyone has any other information, clarifications or opinions about slide types and emergency manual retraction, please feel free to chime in.
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Re: Slide Types and Manual Emergency Retraction

Postby chalet05 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:48 am

Cheryl, thank you for pointing out my ignorance. :lol: :lol: Never thought about different types of slides. I also 'assumed' they all operate off house batteries - how else could we boondock? You have me really curious!

My camper has a toggle switch - electric or manual. It is in a bad place and sometimes gets kicked into the manual position. When the slide won't move, that's the last thing I think to check. I have a hand crank with the receptacle for it on the back of the camper. It takes a little effort to turn it but is manageable.
Anita
chalet05

Re: Slide Types and Manual Emergency Retraction

Postby avalen » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:07 am

That's all very informing, thanks for the info. I have a crank as well
and the little door to use the crank is opposite side of my slide.
I have no clue how hard it would be if I had to crank it manually,
hope I never have to. But that's good research and something to
think about.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues