Propane won't work after water pump left on

Propane won't work after water pump left on

Postby alaimie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:44 am

2007 MB Sportsmobile Sprinter - San Francisco CA

I inadvertently left the water pump on after showering. 30 minutes later I noticed water was streaming out of the large square vent on the driver's side. Since then, I have not been able to get the propane to work. I initially thought that I was out of propane but when I went to fill, it took only 0.40 lbs.

Could it be the ignition light is out? I see there are 2 reset buttons but nothing changed after pushing them in. I flipped the switch to turn on the propane but still nothing. If it is the ignition light, how do I go about lighting it? I have a picture but don't know how to attach it to this post.

I'd appreciate any guidance with what I may need to do to fix this. I have no service manual to reference this problem. Or if anyone has a recommendation where I can get this serviced at. Ideally, I'd like to get this fixed before I head for Josuha Tree in 2 weeks.

Thanks,

E
alaimie

Re: Propane won't work after water pump left on

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:00 pm

I can't imagine how the two things are connected. But I'd be very concerned about why water was streaming out - do you have an outside shower that was turned on? Where was this water streaming from. Many people leave water pump switches on. I don't and personally don't recommend doing so, but what you described shouldn't have happened unless you had something open - which would mean it happens whenever the water pump is on.

As to the propane - it sounds like somehow it's turned off. First, are you saying nothing running on propane is working? Fridge, stove, etc? Or only certain items? And the first thing I'd check is the knob by where the propane gets filled - which completely turns the propane on and off - is it turned on?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby alaimie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:20 pm

Bethers wrote:I can't imagine how the two things are connected. But I'd be very concerned about why water was streaming out - do you have an outside shower that was turned on? Where was this water streaming from. Many people leave water pump switches on. I don't and personally don't recommend doing so, but what you described shouldn't have happened unless you had something open - which would mean it happens whenever the water pump is on.

As to the propane - it sounds like somehow it's turned off. First, are you saying nothing running on propane is working? Fridge, stove, etc? Or only certain items? And the first thing I'd check is the knob by where the propane gets filled - which completely turns the propane on and off - is it turned on?

I have an internal shower and only the water pump was on. Propane was only turned on as needed. We used it the night before for the heater then turned off and then turned on for hot water for the shower in the morning. We could also hear the propane running. Fridge runs off of house batteries.

Here's a picture of what the vent/propane ignition looks like.
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipOhogE1CH_eNI4a0yQOHN9Yoi9MX12sJO9elQQ8

E
alaimie

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:18 pm

If you're running the fridge off the house batteries when you aren't hooked up, there's a good chance you're draining the batteries too quickly and too much. You could run into problems like not being able to start the furnace, etc if that's the case. I'd make sure you aren't draining the batteries too much. I'm guessing your fridge is a 3-way? Using it with the batteries in that case is usually for when you're driving down the road - and the engine is keeping the batteries charged.

But something is seriously wrong if water was running outside - there's a leak of some sort there. It's possible that water did get into the pilot light - and therefore you need to figure out how to relight it. That I can't help with, sorry.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby alaimie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:40 pm

Bethers wrote:If you're running the fridge off the house batteries when you aren't hooked up, there's a good chance you're draining the batteries too quickly and too much. You could run into problems like not being able to start the furnace, etc if that's the case. I'd make sure you aren't draining the batteries too much. I'm guessing your fridge is a 3-way? Using it with the batteries in that case is usually for when you're driving down the road - and the engine is keeping the batteries charged.

The batteries are trickle charged by my solar panels on the roof. I've camped for days with the frig running off of batteries with no issues in the past.

But something is seriously wrong if water was running outside - there's a leak of some sort there. It's possible that water did get into the pilot light - and therefore you need to figure out how to relight it. That I can't help with, sorry.

I agree, I am puzzled about the water but again it has only happened when the water pump was left on. I've contacted a mobile RV repair guy that's across the bay from SF and hopefully he will call me back soon to check it out.

Thanks for the feedback!

E
alaimie

Postby Bethers » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Ok, didn't know about your solar, but the batteries don't charge from solar at night. If you only have a trickle charge, it might not be enough. Please check that. I love my solar, but I have way more than a trickle charge system but still wouldn't be comfortable keeping the fridge running on it.

Do you have a controller showing how low the batteries get overnight?

And without the water pump on or being connected to water, it shouldn't do anything. But obviously when water is running through the lines it's doing something it shouldn't.

Good luck with the repair service.
Beth
Bethers

Postby alaimie » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:06 pm

MAJOR CORRECTION!!! It was the water in the hot water heater that was spilling out into the propane ignition area. It may have triggered a safety valve to turn on. Not exactly sure but trying to locate a Sportsmobile manual online to see if it points me in the right direction. I did call Sportsmobile West in Fresno and they advised me to seek a local RV repair service to look into it. I was able to YELP a mobile RV service person locally but he wanted $165 per hour to check it out.

I'd appreciate it if anyone would share knowledge or recommendations for service in California. I'll be taking Hwy 5 for Joshua Tree in 2 weeks & can schedule for repair if the price is reasonable.

Thanks for feedback,

E
alaimie

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 am

Ok, here's my technical question,,,,
Per your update,, the water is streaming out of the hot water tank,,
there for, is a valve opened say from winterizing that is allowing
this OR perhaps the pop off valve needs replaced. If the water
got the electrical part wet, you fix the water issue then the electrical
drys out and then see if it works. Just trying to think of what went
wrong. Can you take pictures and post?
Also, is the water streaming or seeping, if its seeping from the bottom
its possible the tank is rusted out?
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:39 am

Take the cover on the outside off of the hot water heater. It should easily come off with a screwdriver.

First take a photo of it with water off. Then have someone turn water on and take another photo so we can see exactly where it is leaking from.

There is a valve underneath the outside cover that may be open. There is also a drain hole that has a plug in it that might not be tightened and leaking.

Also, inside your motorhome, probably underneath your sink somewhere, there should be a hot water tank shutoff valve. When you are done looking at the stuff above, see if you can find it and turn it off. You should still have water to your RV but none will be going to the hot water tank and this should stop your leak until you can get somewhere to get it fixed.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MandysMom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Judy there is no inside hot water shut off in Sprinter conversions. At least none I have seen or heard about. In ours water heater is on opposite side of where sink is and shut offs outside in water connection tiny closet ( a box about 10 x 12 inches). I like your idea of looking behind that cover on outside. These water heaters have electronic ignition so no pilot to light.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:04 pm

A friend's Sprinter has a hot water Bypass. They are meant mainly to be used for winterizing. No, not all rigs have them (They should) but yes, many Sprinters do. That said they can be in very strange places. You're more likely to not find them in less expensive rigs.
Beth
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:45 pm

Didn't mean to imply there wasnt one, only that it's not under sink but in outside area, so you may have to search to find it!
:D
Velda
MandysMom

Postby JudyJB » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:10 pm

But there is still an outside access panel, right? I think that should be her first step.

On my very first shake-down weekend, when my motorhome was very new, it had been winterized by the dealer. I had chosen a state park campground with full hookups so I could test everything. When I got hooked up and had run water through most of the system to flush out the antifreeze, I turned on the inside bypass valve to my water heater. Water immediately started running outside my motorhome, attracting the attention of some kindly fellow campers who knocked on my door and then took the outside panel off. There was a plug that had not been screwed in properly, which they fixed for me. So, I know about first-time problems! I had been panicking because it was getting dark, and I could not find where I had packed the flashlights, so I was very happy to have help.

I suspect she has a similar problem with something not being screwed in right.

The idea about turning the bypass was to at least give her water while she figured out the rest. Hopefully, she has solved these problems.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:48 pm

Keep us posted, hope to get this figured out
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby alaimie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:18 pm

Hi all,

Sorry, I've been away due to an extended illness in the family.

The hot water stopped spilling out over the ignition area as soon as we turned off the water pump. Today, I tried to push the 2 reset buttons but didn't feel anything to push in. I inadvertently pushed my nail through and made a whole in one. I flipped the switch inside the coach and I couldn't hear anything fire up. I also turned on the 2 burners on the stove and couldn't hear or smell any propane come out.

At time, I am at a complete lost as to what I can do to correct this. I may end up calling the mobile RV repair to fix this before I leave for my trip in 10 days. His price is high at $165 an hour so I hope it won't cost much more if parts need to be replace. If anyone can recommend an RV service center in the San Francisco Bay Area, that would be great. Camping World is about 60 miles south of me but I haven't read many good reviews on their service department.

I appreciate everyone's input and assistance in regards to this matter. Hopefully there won't be any other issues for this newbie before I roadtrip on Route 66 next year.

E
alaimie

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues