little input ?? truck for 5er or get a motorhome

Re: little input ?? truck for 5er or get a motorhome

Postby Liz » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:50 pm

My Class C is 24.5 feet and plenty big enough for me to live in full-time. I could go smaller, but I do like the full size bath & separate shower that I didn't have in my Class B. I started full-timing without towing, but found that it was impossible to park...at doctor's offices, etc. It took me awhile to convince myself to tow, but when I made the decision, found it to be a whole lot easier than I had imagined. It changed the way I travel a little, but I park the RV in a campground for a few days, and do my errands and touring of the area with my gas-sipping Honda Fit. That saves a lot in gas. And I agree that 300 miles is too far for me these days, unless I have to. I like under 100...sometimes less than 50, lol. Stop and get to know an area before moving on. I am retired, so I can.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:15 pm

My first 5 years without a toad and only workamping part of each year, travelling most, was my least expensive traveling. Done right it's not more expensive to use the rv. It's how you travel. It's still my favorite mode of traveling... and what I'll do for my next Alaska or Baja trips. The toad is handy for me when, like now, I'm in one place for months.

But, we each have to find what works for us. And if you tried to start a month at a cg to get a lower rate and used the mh like you would a toad, it would be more expensive. But I found it much cheaper to take the mh, even if only 30 miles to an interesting next stop and stay near there, and on and on. I loved it.

I also agree about the price of a used, lower mileage mh versus a truck, with probably high mileage. My first rv cost way less than a used truck would have, and had low mileage. And those deals can still be found.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:59 am

I think travel style is really important. Right now I am in what I call travel mode. I try to drive maybe 80-100 miles and move slowly from place to place, exploring each area as I go. But I can see myself someday staying longer in one place and maybe needing a toad then. Work or volunteer camping, if I lose my teaching job, would be an option then, and in that case I would want a toad. That also might occur as I get older and don't want to drive so much.

I am already really working to slow myself down, staying at least a week to two weeks at more federal campgrounds this coming winter in Florida and also doing more dry camping. I know that with rare exceptions, I do not like commercial campgrounds and find them confining and claustrophobic. I much prefer state and federal campgrounds that are more open and where I have a view, but there are 14-day limits in most of them. That is still a lot longer than the 3-7 days I have been staying in one place, however.

Anyway, life for us adventurers is not stable at all, so you can change your style into something new if you find something else fits you better.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Redetotry » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 am

Consider looking at a small class C that has been privately owned. Take it to a mechanic and to an RV place to have everything checked out. Like you said, a truck big enough to tow your 5th wheel would cost almost as much as a small RV, plus you would be more likely to find one well taken care of with low miles.
I would not pay a year ahead on your current rental space. Go three months at a time, that way if you change your mind fairly soon you won't face the possibility of losing a whole years rent if you decide to get rid of it. I would buy small enough that you don't feel the need for a toad. You can sort this out better when you have experienced life on the road for awhile, you can always change your mind and trade for something else. But I would start out with less to worry about. Good luck with the decision.
Redetotry
BJ
Redetotry

Postby monik7 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:12 am

Everybody looks at this depending on their individual needs. When I bought by new RV 4 years ago, I new nothing about RVing and camping. After a few trips, I realized how nice it would be with a toad. However, the car I had at the time could not be towed 4 down, a dolly was out of the question, and I didn't want to trade it in. For almost 4 years I traveled about 33,000 miles and really came to realize how much I had missed in those years by not having a toad. I didn't like to unhook at CGs to go sightseeing so was basically stuck there with only my bike to get around. That didn't work well at all and I missed so much. In February I finally decided to trade in my car and get a car that could be towed 4 down. Oh how I wish I had made that decision so much earlier. But it is what it is and I'm really enjoying being able to get out and see things where I travel.

I wouldn't want to tow a 5th wheel either. There sure are a lot of them out there on the road, but not something I'd want to do. If you could get a good deal on a used C and trade in your car for a used vehicle that can be towed 4 down, that seems like it would be ideal. If that's not in the cards in the beginning, doing it a little at a time may be the way to go. Get the used C and then plan to get a toad in the future. Keeping the 5th wheel for the first year may be a good plan to see how everything works out and whether you like life on the road. Whatever you decide, good luck.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues