Help! Propane detector alarm just went off

Help! Propane detector alarm just went off

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:09 am

Wouldn't you believe it. Every time I need to take off somewhere, something happens. My propane alarm just scared me to death. I was in the middle of typing and it started shrieking!!! I don't think there is any propane leak.

Got my flashlight and sat down to read it. The light was flashing red. I pushed the one that says mute/test, and it finally turned green and became quiet. It says to replace it after 60 months. It is 50 months since I bought this thing, but it was a few months old since it had sat on the dealers lot for a few months. SO it is probably 55 months old.

So, I have to fly to Atlanta first thing Monday morning and leave my vehicle in the airport parking lot. I cannot imagine finding anyone to replace or fix it tomorrow, and I don't want it screaming while it is parked. Any suggestions???? Should I disable it in some way while I am parked??
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Help! Propane detector alarm just went off

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:20 am

I need to replace all of my stuff like that...have one that goes off so it's not on the wall
not sure what it is a monitor for...not sure what I would suggest..if you were going to park at KOA there is a
good repair guy that they recommend but think he only works out of the two campgrounds
sheila
snowball

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:11 am

Judy, mine did the same thing this last camping trip a couple of weeks ago - the sound is enough to make you jump out of your seat. I quickly opened the door and did some investigation. Mine (a 2015 model year trailer) is both a CO AND propane sensor. I have no idea what set it off (did it twice rather quickly). But online looking indicated it was nothing to ignore. Yours might need replacing. The date is supposedly stamped on there somewhere.

I have this model, or something very similar: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm?skunum=70014&rewrote&affiliateid=5193&gclid=CImyzPH59cwCFdgUgQodyx8AcA

And here is the manual that indicates what the flashing lights mean: http://www.mtiindustries.com/PDFs/rv/35_Series.pdf

I found there was a fuse that controls that sensor. I suppose you could pull the fuse. Mine fuse panel was NOT labeled correctly, so I don't know if the fuse labeled for that sensor was correct. You'd have to be sure, too.

Just thought - can you turn off your battery? That would disconnected the sensor...

mitch5252

Postby Yakn1 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:17 am

Judy, I just replaced mine. It was only 2 yrs old when it went to screaming for no reason...the propane wasn't even turned on :lol:
I was able to reset a couple of times but finally gave up and cut the wires :roll: I dod tape off the power end until I was able to install the new one. It was only 2 wires...red to red, black to black. This time I did put on spade connectors so when I have to replace it (or disconnect), it will be easier.
I'm not lost, I'm on an adventure!
Yakn1

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:56 am

First, pull the fuse. Mine in my Gulfstream used to go off all the time. I rushed it to the repair guy who couldn't find anything wrong with it. My big Lab Buddy used to lay right beside it and if he farted he set it off. Propane stinks really bad so think you would notice a leak.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby IrishIroamed » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:21 am

Judy - the TTs propane detector keep beeping on my first trip out last year. Since I didn't have any propane on and was not running the truck (exhaust getting into rig), I called the dealer and he said to disconnect it, it was probably bad. So the trip back to the dealer a few weeks later for dewinterizing, it was replaced.

If they do only have a certain life span like smoke detectors,I'd guess it would be OK to disconnect, but maybe others have different opinions and thoughts. That's just my story.

retiredhappy wrote:My big Lab Buddy used to lay right beside it and if he farted he set it off.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby Azusateach » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:54 am

I'd sure be leaving a window or vent cracked open when you're gone, just to be safe. You don't want to come back to a coach full of gas.
Azusateach

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:19 pm

My gas detector has an on/off switch. If it is turned off it turns the gas off. If the battery is turned off and back on it makes it go off and the switch has to be turned off and back on to reset it. I am sure mine needs to be replaced because it is 14 years old but the ones I see online aren't made like that. I have been leery of having some of the rv yoyo's mess with it because I might not have gas.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby cnq50b » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:59 pm

I was bringing my van back from buying it from Florida, 200 miles outside of Kansas City when some alarm started going off... Every 30 seconds 3 very shrill alerts. I pulled over as soon as I could, checked the manuals, checked that everything was off, opened a window & continued home with that thing going off the entire way. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Once I got home & researched it, I decided it just needed to be replaced & the only way to disconnect it was by cutting the wires. I cut them, taped them off, ordered a new one & put on wire connectors too when I wired it up. Easy to replace just had to order it in.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby JudyJB » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:56 pm

I can't unhook the coach batteries because I need to have the refrigerator going. I don't want spoiled food, especially in this heat.

I think what I am going to do it cover it with saran and maybe a folded up washcloth and then tape over it with duct tape. Last ditch will be to disconnect it, but that sounds like a lot of work. I will get it fixed when I get back.

I plan to leave all three roof vents open, so should not have gas.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues