Tires for Sprinter based RV

Tires for Sprinter based RV

Postby MandysMom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:26 pm

Getting ready to replace tires on my LT Sprinter, 2500 chassis. It came with Michelin. Thinking I want to do Michelin again. Thoughts? Can save hundreds by havin Costco install. Prefer Les Schwab but $$$ wins out, besides there are more Costcos around where we would go than Les Schwab.
Frustrating that tires age out, but that is reality and better safe than sorry. Hope we get to put more than 25,000 miles on the new set! All that nice tread but the rubber is showing signs of age at age 11!
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Tires for Sprinter based RV

Postby Bethers » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:57 pm

Age 11... on an rv. Those tires are an accident waiting to happen. I suggest replacing ASAP.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby snowball » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:59 pm

and they were concerned about me going to Q cause the tires are 5 years old this spring :lol: ...if I'm remembering correctly
going to look into getting new ones this fall after I have a truck and can move the 5th wheel
sheila
snowball

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:10 am

Beth, you have to realize the van has mostly sat for the past 5 years. Last long trip it made, around 600 miles, was 2010, when tires were 5 years old. The most it has done in past 3 years has been 19 miles x2 to sit at hospital. There was no point in putting new tires on it to sit and roast them in our driveway in the 1oo degree summer heat while going no where. The van has only 25,000 miles on it in 11 years, most of which was put on in the first 4 years. With the one 600 mile trip in 2010 at age 5. We would never consider a longer trip on old tires. We put less than 75 miles on the van in past 3 years. No choice with all our time spent in trips to treatment using the other car. It's now time because we hope to begin using it again.
Again my purpose in asking was what brand tires Sprinter owners are using, not to get criticized for not being able to use my van in years!!!
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:59 am

Sitting for vehicles can be worse on tires. I'm not criticizing you, I learned the hard way with a blow out on tires with about your mileage, that had been sitting. I've also learned that when sitting, even when workamping, I should move the rig monthly so the tires don't sit continuously on the same spot.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby cnq50b » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:39 pm

I put Hankooks on my sprinter when I bought it. A tire store I trust recommened them when I first inquired about what kind to put on it when I picked it up in Florida. They said that's what they put on lots of the commercial sprinters. Alot less expensive than Michelins & I think they're wearing better than Michelin's Ive had on other vehicles. Just soemthing else to consider.

I like them so much I actually put a couple on my Honda minivan & will continue to buy them when I need others.
They probably aren't as cushy as michelin's but I got tired having to replace those high-$ tires so frequently. I prefer a tire that grips well & doesn't lose air all the time.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:08 am

I have not heard of Hancook tires. Will look them up. I have had great service from every Michelin I have had on a vehicle but price is a factor, ESP when we don't put many miles on them over time. Thanks for chiming in.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:04 am

I have Hankook tires on my 2010 Equinox SUV and will be buying tires for it next year. I have been very happy with these tires and will replace them again with Hankooks. Was going to buy them this year but the tire shop said they are rated for 80,000 miles and I only have 55,000 so next year they will be 7 years old so will replace them then.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:58 am

Thanks Karen for your thoughts. I did some googling last night on Hancook. Seem to be lower rated than Michelin but still good tires. Not even sure I they are available around here but will look.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:22 am

so where do you find the Hancooks??
sheila
snowball

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues