Tips From RV Tips Group On Facebook

Tips From RV Tips Group On Facebook

Postby mitch5252 » Mon May 30, 2016 8:37 am

This post was on the Facebook Group - RV Tips (or something like that).
I thought it might be helpful for new RVers.
(I'm not sure I agree with #3, but I have a tiny trailer...)
(and I rarely followed #6 around the campsite, but she was an 8 lb. coward)

Some observations/ rules of thumb based on repeated posts here:

1. Don't leave your black water valve open until its time to dump. Follow the black dump with the gray to wash out pipe.

2. level camper before deploying slides.

3 . AC at best will only give you a 20 degree F. Drop in temp between intake and outlet. It takes a long time to remove heat from all the furnishing, walls etc so start cooling in the morning before camper heats up and leave AC on all day as heat load increases.

4. When it is cold outside burning propane on the stove and breathing will cause condensation on windows and sometimes walls- use vent.

5. Awning is for shade most wont stand up to torrential downpour. Never go off and leave it up- sudden wind gusts have destroyed literally hundreds.

6. Keep dogs on leash unless there is an off leash area. (Dog Park Locator and Bark Park apps are good for this) and pick up the crap.

7 . Don't walk through others camping space unless invited. I don't care but some get pissed.

8. You can use Satellite AR app to find a clear place through the trees to point your Dish. (Mitch note: and SAToolzDirecTV for Directv)

9. You have two electrical systems AC and 12volt DC the AC runs your airconditioners microwave, outlets,and usually TV when plugged to a post. It also charges your batteries through the converter and the batteries or converter sends 12Volt to your other electrical devices such as control boards for fridge and hotwater and somtimes heater fan, jacks and ceiling vents.

10. Fridge will run on propane or electric. If set on auto it will flip over to propane if plug for 30 or 50 amp is disconnected.

11. If you have just turned propane on, you will have to blow air out of the gas line before fridge or water heater will work. Easiest way is to open stove eye valves until you can light them thus getting most of the air out of the lines.

12. Before you turn water heater on Each season be sure it has water flowing through it by opening releif valve. Be sure bypass valve is closed so water is going through heater tank.

13. Stabilizing jacks are not for leveling -only to keep it stable.

14. There are several natural constants that everyone disagrees on: truck brands, gas vs diesel, tires, KOA vs state parks, etc. I will not get into those as the Secret Masters of the Universe have not given me dispensation to reveal this information at this time.

mitch5252

Re: Tips From RV Tips Group On Facebook

Postby MandysMom » Mon May 30, 2016 11:38 am

If I remember right, this post was by Gary Gibson, of Texas. Gary helped me get my Leisure Travel Van and was a Dodge Dealer ( they owned the dealership) then, until retirement. They owned a Leisure Travel van, later a View, and now a Tiffin diesel rig. He is very knowledgable and a retired Navy Chief. He and Vicki took Mel and I to lunch when we visited TX after picking up our LT in Canada and his dealership did some warranty items on mine before we headed west.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby grammynmaggie » Mon May 30, 2016 3:13 pm

Is there a link for the Facebook group I can't find it
grammynmaggie

Postby mitch5252 » Mon May 30, 2016 6:37 pm

grammynmaggie wrote:Is there a link for the Facebook group I can't find it

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvtips/

There ya go...
mitch5252

Postby Liz » Mon May 30, 2016 6:53 pm

I agree with #6 and wish it was enforced. I don't care how well-behaved or wimpy you think your dog is, you never know what the other dogs are going to do. And you really don't know how your own dog will react in some situations. I have been rushed by too many dogs coming out of their campsite before the owner could react.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby havingfunnow » Tue May 31, 2016 8:30 am

Yes about dogs on leash. I've been on both sides of dogs being territorial! Amazing how fast some of them decide an area is 'theirs'.
Louise
Image and The William too!
havingfunnow

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues