Coach Net vs. Good Sam Roadside

Coach Net vs. Good Sam Roadside

Postby monik7 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm at the point where I have to renew my roadside assistance. Currently I have Good Sam and am lucky to have only used it once in 4 years and that was for another person, not my vehicle. I looked Coach Net up online and saw they have a number of services in addition to strictly roadside service. I was wondering if those of you who have Coach Net could comment on which services you have and whether you are happy with it. Also if anyone has used both Coach Net and Good Sam at times how you would compare their services and coverage. I didn't see anything online about the cost of Coach Net. I need to decide within two weeks. Thanks for all input.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Re: Coach Net vs. Good Sam Roadside

Postby BirdbyBird » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:54 pm

Coach Net has always gotten good support from those that have needed to use it...at least in the past. Recently Nick Russel had a post on his blog regarding his decision to switch from CN to Good Sam. I believe that he referred to being notified about a considerable price hike for the Coach Net service and or some changes in service levels, etc. You might want to research that possible issue. Since I am paid up for another year or more I took note but didn't memorize the details. :)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Acadianmom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:17 pm

I had Good Sam Roadside Service for years and used them 4 or 5 times. I never was happy with their service. I changed to Coach Net a few years ago and have used them 2 times. Both times I had good service. I have just the roadside service. I'm not sure when my membership is up but I haven't heard anything from them about a price increase.

I think the service you will get from either one depends on where you are. If you are in the middle of nowhere it's going to take a long time for someone to get to you. In some cases they probably both use the same people. Coach Net seems to care more whether you got good service so maybe if you complain they won't use some companies again.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:45 pm

I need to resign up as well so wondering what to do...in all the year's we have had Good Sam have only used it once
and the more I think about it the more I wonder how carefully they check out those that provide the services...
When I had truck problems in Searchlight NV...they sent a tow truck from oh boy can't remember right now the town but just
out side Laughlin when they came they said the towing cost would be 300 dollars...I had thought of having it towed into Henderson
but they said that they didn't know and wouldn't know the cost till they got there and it would have to be in cash...but if I let them
take it back to their place that the towing bill would be 200 so what does one do??? right let them take it...I told them that the transmission
would need to pull the 5th wheel...they knew what I was towing...they gave me a quote after they checked it over didn't think anything about it as it
wasn't as much as it had been several years ago...but knew at that time some other stuff was done...when Sean looked at the paper work to see
if we could get the company to cover their warranty he said that he thought they didn't put in a strong enough tranny ...and why it quit so soon...
the warranty was that it was for a year and had to come back to them...my issue with GS is why do they use people that the warranty is that
when they deal with people from all over the country traveling all over the country...so at this moment not sure who to go through...has anyone used
AAA???
sheila
snowball

Postby monik7 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:04 am

Sheila, I'm confused. I thought the roadside service included towing. I don't understand why they were quoting a price.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby JudyJB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:22 am

I have not been towed but I did use CN to change two tires.

I have also used their technical advice twice over the phone. I think it is very good for new people. They helped me with electrical problem and engine not starting.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:06 am

Shiela, you reminded me of one of the times I used Good Sam. They shouldn't have charged you for the tow. I was in Lafayette which is a town about 30 miles from my house. My motorhome quit and wouldn't start. The tow truck that came wanted to take me to their place and not to the Ford Dealer which would have been about the same distance. I let them take it to their shop and I left it. The next day they got it "fixed" so to say. It had been some kind of electrical problem with the engine part. What ever they did was not right. One of the things that would happen was when I would put the turn signal on it would do something else. I can't remember what now. I had to take it to a shop that we used all the time and they had to redo or undo everything they did. So I had to pay twice for the repair. I should have complained to Good Sam. Today I would know better than to let a wrecker shop work on my motorhome.

Martha
Last edited by Acadianmom on Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:13 am

I've had excellent service with Good Sam. That said, they pretty much all use the same people to do the services. I would have questioned the you're not being covered.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm

Bethers wrote: I would have questioned the you're not being covered.

I don't quite understand your response. Can you elaborate?
Sandi

monik7

Postby WickedLady » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:53 pm

I started out with CN but they upped the price right away so went to GS. Didn't use either one and have towing with GEICO which I have used twice. Lot cheaper.
WickedLady

Postby Azusateach » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:59 pm

Sheila, I have AAA with the additional rider for RVs. It's a bit more expensive, but it saved our skin 2 summers ago when we had the trailer.

Our tow car, the Expedition, broke down while we were in San Diego, about 120 miles from home. We could drive it, but couldn't tow. Couldn't get it fixed before we were due to leave the campground, and so I called Good Sam to see if they would tow the trailer to a storage area in the campground until I could get the car fixed and tow the trailer home. They wouldn't touch the trailer, saying that it would have been a "courtesy tow".

So I called AAA. Because I had the additional coverage for the RV, they sent a wrecker, hitched it up & towed it all the way home for only $75 -- the cost of the overage from their 100 mile limit. We cancelled Good Sam when we got home.

I won't have anything but AAA until we're on the road more often. Then we'll consider CoachNet. It saved Sharon Souter's skin BIG time when she was in Alaska (they towed her rig 600 miles -- FREE!), and I like how they work so well with people who are on the road a lot.

Laura
Last edited by Azusateach on Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azusateach

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:34 pm

My Coach Net is also up next month and when researching their plans found out only the most expensive plan would cover my car. So I switched to Good Sam half the price. Have had it before with excellent service but Coach Net came free with my Motorhome purchase for 2 yrs. The repair places you end up using are not under the control of Good Sam or Coach Net etc (kinda like the campground reviews not very accurate at times)
So for half the price with GS I now get my RV and my toad covered

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Bethers » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:48 pm

monik7 wrote:
Bethers wrote: I would have questioned the you're not being covered.

I don't quite understand your response. Can you elaborate?
Sandi

Pretty much the same as you said. I would have questioned the towing not being covered.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Azusateach » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:22 pm

OregonLuvr wrote:My Coach Net is also up next month and when researching their plans found out only the most expensive plan would cover my car. So I switched to Good Sam half the price. Have had it before with excellent service but Coach Net came free with my Motorhome purchase for 2 yrs. The repair places you end up using are not under the control of Good Sam or Coach Net etc (kinda like the campground reviews not very accurate at times)
So for half the price with GS I now get my RV and my toad covered

karen

Karen, have you looked into AAA? Since you're pretty much on the West Coast, it might be a good deal for you. After my experience with Good Sam, I found a whole lot of folks that haven't been particularly impressed with their service over on RV.net. Kind of validated our experience and confirmed our decision to terminate our membership.

Laura
Azusateach

Postby OregonLuvr » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:09 pm

Years ago I had AAA RVPlus and had no complaints but only had to use it once. Had Good Sam and only used it once and also had no complaints. Coach Net came out twice for a slide issue again, no complaints. So will stick with GS for now as I just signed up, we will see if I have any issues. Seems they all have issues at one time or another guess so far I have just been lucky.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues