Choosing

Choosing

Postby snowball » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:11 pm

I'm still not planning on replacing the truck till late summer there about unless one comes and pleads to be
taken home...
but do have a question..which would be more important??
a better engine which I've understood is the Dodge Ram
or the tranny which is I understand is the Chevalot Silveradoo
diesel planning on getting a 3500 perhaps duelly perhaps stick shift although
that remains a maybe
I would think the tranny would be a cheaper fix than the engine if it came down to repairs
but still not sure which to concentrate on
so wondering what your thoughts would be or perhaps one knows of better options that the two I listed other than Ford my husband would haunt me :o
not to mention my mechanic :lol:
sheila
snowball

Re: Choosing

Postby avalen » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Commending you for beginning your research so you can make an
informed decision when the time comes. Years ago when I was researching
the truck possibilities I came across an article that compared the gas usage of the three major trucks, Chevy, ford and dodge. These were standard trucks, nothing dually or 4x4. Chevy came out on top with best fuel milage, dodge was a gas hog. This was a good 6 or 7 years ago and I know longer have the link and I don't remember any
of the details as far as dependability (breakdowns, maintenance) . Just thought I'd
share what I remembered about the gas mileage.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby chalet05 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:57 pm

Sheila, it may depend on the year of the truck. I had the 2002 Dodge 3/4 ton for 12 years and only one part had to be changed on the tranny. As far as one engine or tranny vs. the other, I have no idea. L had a 2007 Chevy 3/4 and towed a large 5er with no issues. I guess I'd look at both Ram and Chevy (GMC) then do research on any I found.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:52 pm

Sean who is my nephew/mechanic told me that in the year 2007 protocol not sure that is the word but something was changed across the board
on all trucks that made the gas mileage plummet ...my old truck was a Dodge Ram diesel ..highway was roughly 18 towing about 10 depending upon wind
and terrain ... so looking at 1 ton trucks between 2000 and 2006 and had planned on getting a Ram again then heard the comments about the tranny
so started wondering...and still am...guess I need to visit with Sean :lol: when the time comes guess I will know what to do but am wondering
sheila
snowball

Postby chalet05 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 am

I know 2002 had potential tranny issues. Mine was not that major issue whatever it was.
Anita
chalet05

Postby MelissaD » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:12 pm

snowball wrote:so looking at 1 ton trucks between 2000 and 2006 and had planned on getting a Ram again then heard the comments about the tranny
so started wondering.sheila

Couple of points to ponder.
1- Automatic transmissions are rated to tow more than manuals since computers on engines / transmissions. The engineers feel they can trust the trucks computer more than the average driver not to break the drivetrain.
2- In 2005 the "tow wars" started, so since 2005 the rating of the trucks have just climbed with the 2016 Ram 3500 drw diesel, with Aisian transmission, able to tow over 31,000# which is nuts.
3- Looking at diesels in those years (Ford 2002-2006 6.0L, 2000-2001 was the awesome 7.3L) Ford had some issues with the 6.0L diesel which is stronger than the 7.3L. Once the 6.0L is "bullet proofed" costs around $2,000. They are a good engine. The base 6.0L is a medium duty truck or school buss engine that when Ford and International tried to comply with the EPA ran into issues. Ram uses the reliable Cummins. Chevy is also ok. (disclaimer: I own a 2004 F350 DRW 6.0L diesel, automatic transmission with the 4.10 rear end. It's been bullet proofed and it's a pulling beast for my needs. 10-11 mpg pulling 12,000# trailer)
4- transmission is cheaper than an engine and a transmission shop should be able to hook it up to the computer and check it out for you.
5- 2010 and newer diesels use DEF and have a system to scrub the exhaust. Can be expensive to repair and from my experience on semi's can be a pain in the rear.

In 2006 the EPA played again and mpg went in tank. Improved again in 2010.

Thanks the basics off the top of my head. Hope it helps.

Melissa
MelissaD

Postby snowball » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:44 pm

What is bullet proofed? another reason I'm looking at older ones is the payment can't afford the cost of the newer trucks
there was a silveradoo 3500 for sale the salesman and he said he checked with someone although all this was over the phone so not sure
who the someone was someone he had to call though...and said it would tow 18000 I think it was...I wish I understood all you said Melissa :roll:
it's scary as this is the first car/truck I've bought!!! always before it's been husband that did the finding I just went along for the ride...
sheila
snowball

Postby MelissaD » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:23 am

snowball wrote:What is bullet proofed? sheila

The problem with the Ford 6.0L short story had to do with the oil cooler clogging and restricting coolant flow to the EGR cooler. The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirc) has to do with the EPA and would recirculate exhaust gas back into the engines air intake to increase engine temperature at idle and low power to help the engine burn cleaner. Well when the EGR cooler overheats, it springs a leak and since water aka coolant does not compress, it would break, crack the engine. The fix for it is to replace the EGR cooler and sometimes the oil cooler also.
MelissaD

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:16 am

We had a 2006 Ford F-350 diesel truck. In 2013 it started giving us so much trouble that Harold finally traded it. I don't remember what the problem was but seems like they never could find what to fix. It wasn't the transmission. We had it into the dealer a couple of times and to a shop that specializes in diesel trucks and it still kept stopping on the road.

I have read complaints on the RV forums and Facebook groups about the same truck. It's just ridiculous the price of some of the new trucks now. Harold bought a Ram 1500 which I don't think is a large enough truck for a 4 horse trailer. He doesn't have any business on the road with a horse trailer anyway. He has finally started letting a friend bring his horse if he has to take her somewhere.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby retiredhappy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:24 am

You might also want to check the crash ratings. Just saw a news story the other day that only one of the new trucks passed the crash rating and I think it was the Ford. The Dodge (which I have) is the worst.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues