Kayak carrier for a Conversion Van???

Kayak carrier for a Conversion Van???

Postby kkayaker » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:34 am

Hi-
I'm new to camping in a vehicle. I'm used to tent camping. I recently purchased a Ford E-150 conversion van with a raised roof. Unfortunately I can not get my kayak on top of it because I'm too short and because of the construction of the raised roof. My kayak is lightweight - only 38 pounds, and 9 feet long. I would appreciate hearing how you carry a kayak on a van or camper or if you use a trailer behind the vehicle. Thanks.
Kkayaker
kkayaker

Re: Kayak carrier for a Conversion Van???

Postby Bethers » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:39 am

I can't help with your question as I have an inflatable kayak.

But as a new member, please do an introduction post the appropriate forum. That's one of our very few rules.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:53 am

I don't know how it would work for a van, but I had a rack installed on my Class C roof which I access by ladder. My kayak is 12' feet, but only weighs 13 pounds. (carbon-fiber). Usually it rides on my car that I tow behind the RV. When I had a van camper, I had an inflatable kayak that fit in a compartment.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby kkayaker » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:17 am

Thank you for your replies. I'm still researching solutions.
kkayaker

Postby dragonflyer14 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:49 pm

I don't know if it will work in your situation... I have seen a kayak carrier that goes into your hitch on your RV to carry it vertically. I considered it for a while until I decided to convert my landscape trailer to a kayak and bicycle trailer. Try doing a search online for "kayak carriers for RV". One of the things that ruled it out for me was the fact that my kayak is 14 feet long...too high vertically for my comfort level. I would feel okay with nine feet though...good luck! I am sure you will figure it all out :)
Chris, Disney and Dory Doodle
dragonflyer14

Postby dragonflyer14 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:56 pm

Okay...looked it up and it's called YAKUPS RV Kayak Rack. Will also hold bikes and it locks, which is a really nice feature. Says it works on RV and fifth wheel trailers. Pricing starts at $199.00 but that isn't too bad...lot cheaper than a Yakima roof rack and accessories. Hope this helps!
Chris, Disney and Dory Doodle
dragonflyer14

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues