Tires

Tires

Postby MandysMom » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:30 pm

I put this on Facebook but for those who are not on FB will repeat. We have a 2010 PT Cruiser we bought fall of 2010 which has only 21,000 miles on it. Original tires. Tires looked almost brand new. During Mel's trips to radiation and over past few months, we had noticed that once in a while the tire pressure monitor would go off. Mel would check and sometimes,a tire usually on right side, was down maybe 2 to 3 lbs. He would air it up and the sensor stayed quiet for anything from a month to lately a week or less. He ran his hands over the tire and nothing seemed unusual. This past Tuesday sensor came on and he aired it again. Light went off. Thursday it came on again so we finally had time to take it to Les Schwab. Tech came out and ran hands over tires and found nothing. Said could be a nail we don't see or sensor or the valve. He said let me put it on the lift. We went inside. He got it up and immediately came in and asked us to come into the shop and look. Deep within those barely worn trends you could see on each tire where the tiny pieces of steel belt were starting to poke through and on the inside of at least one you could see where there was a place about half inch long where the entire tred was trying to peel. We were shocked at only 21,000 miles! He looked and the tires were manufactured in 2009 and put on a 2010 car, which means they were over a year old when first out on the road. He reassured us we did nothing wrong. Said there is no sign you let them run low or did anything else to contribute to failure, it was simply age and the natural rubber oils evaporating allowing moisture to get to the belts and they were failing. I asked if we drove more would it help and he said NOPE this is simply age. So a hour or so later we have brand new tires and peace of mind and a important lesson well learned. Being retired and not making many trips, We will likely age out tires rather than wear them out and will pay attention to tire age. It's not just RV tires that can age out!! Stay safe and get tires checked and know their date of manufacture which is on the side wall. I'm a bit put out that Chrysler put tires up to a year and a half old on a brand new car. But I'm glad we did not keep assuming that deep tred was good, cuz you know what happens when you assume anything. :D
Velda
MandysMom

Re: Tires

Postby gingerK » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:26 pm

What brand of tires were on your car Velda?
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MandysMom » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:23 am

You know I never looked at that. They were the originals put on by Chrysler. Maybe Toyo? I can ask Mel tomorrow. I used to always use Michelin but even Michelin have had recalls in recent years.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Olive6001 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:30 am

A very good reminder. Thanks, Velda.
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby MelissaD » Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:51 am

All tires have a shelf life. It's just on a car most people wear them out before they "age out". If you read the tire company websites about 6-8 years. It's why DOT has a date of manufacture stamped into each tire.
MelissaD

Postby Coosa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:25 am

IIRC, most new US vehicles use Continental Tires unless specified. Their quality control is hit or miss.

Tire sensors are a great product... And Cooper Tires [or your favorite brand] are great, too.

Coosa
... and Life goes on ...
Coosa

Postby MandysMom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:58 am

Until we had these tires changed out, I never thought about the fact that the tire sensors have batteries and the sensors are inside the tires! When the batteries die, they become useless. There are replacement models but they will cost about $80 per tire!!! Hope batteries last another year or two!
The old tires were not Continental. I think they were Toyo.
New ones make the ride better and quieter. We are happy so far. And I feel more secure. Those tires were under 6 years since manufacture when they went bad and had less than 21000 miles.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby avalen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:36 am

Glad you got the tires checked out and replaced and thanks for the reminder.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby bluepinecones » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:34 am

I have new tires on Magic thanks to a recall. Just replaced tires on van this past summer due to age cracks.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:37 am

My Honda CR-V is the first car I have had that has the tire sensors and I didn't know where they were. I have seen a sign at the tire store that they don't guarantee the sensors. No telling what it would cost to replace one on a Honda.

I have the screw on sensors on my motorhome and I know they have batteries. If I ever have to get another system I will get one that you can replace the battery instead of having to buy new sensors. The sensors are about $35 each. I have only had to replace 2 so they last a long time. They are totally worth the cost for the peace of mind.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Coosa » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:57 pm

Well, I just learned something new.

When I get home and have my tires rotated, I'll find out if they can check the batteries inside the tires.

I know they work because I've had the light go on since I got the new tires.

Was this info in the fine fine tiny print on the contract?

Take care everyone and check your tire pressure.

Coosa
... and Life goes on ...
Coosa

Postby MandysMom » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:42 am

Batteries on internal pressure sensors are not replaceable, the sensor itself gets replaced amd there is laborr to demount and remount the tire along with the cost of the sensor, at least that is what the good guys at Les Schwab to,d me. Said don't worry about it until we get an alarm of failure. Might be easier to replace with external.
Velda
MandysMom

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues