Possible Streets & Trips Replacement

Possible Streets & Trips Replacement

Postby Bethers » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:05 pm

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibe ... tion=10122

I have not purchased this but it came recommended to me today as a possible replacement for the no longer supported Streets & Trips. Interesting. It does say it can be used offline, which is one necessary criteria for me.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: Possible Streets & Trips Replacement

Postby brendac » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:28 pm

I have been using Delorme Street Atlas since 2008. I find it easy to use and can use my laptop as a GPS with a large screen. I have never used Streets and Trips so I can't compare the two.
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby chalet05 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:04 pm

I have had Street Atlas for 10 years. I plan my routes with it all the time.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Liz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:04 pm

I used to have Delorme years ago and loved planning trips on it. The laptop became too cumbersome to use as the GPS, so stopped using DeLorme when I got a small GPS.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 am

Liz wrote:I used to have Delorme years ago and loved planning trips on it. The laptop became too cumbersome to use as the GPS, so stopped using DeLorme when I got a small GPS.

I won't use the laptop add my gps. Don't with s&t either. It's my planning method.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:48 pm

What I liked about Delorme was that you could just drag your route to the road you want to take. In those days I was using a lot more scenic back roads. It's hard to get my GPS to go the way I planned...takes more time putting in waypoints etc.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Azusateach » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I don't get it.

Why not just use the maps app on your smart phone? It can be tailored to take non-highway roads if you want. Does this other program give you more than just routes?

Laura
Azusateach

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Azusateach wrote:I don't get it.

Why not just use the maps app on your smart phone? It can be tailored to take non-highway roads if you want. Does this other program give you more than just routes?

Laura

I used it for multi-day, multi-stop trip planning. Not sure about doing that on the Smart Phone.
Liz
Liz

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:44 pm

I use it to plan... entire trips. Then I take the routes I want to use and fight a gps or phone program to go MY way. Usually I have to set it at towns along the route, then change it to the next, then the next, too go MY way. Yes, I take back roads and want to see things off the beaten path quite often. I never totally rely on a gps. I look at the maps, etc. On Streets & Trips I save my map for each year... pretty detailed. Sometimes I take a different turn and don't remember to go back and fix it, but for the most part, have all my travels saved on the maps pretty accurately. Gives me my annual mileage, too.
Beth
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:12 pm

I'm just like Beth - total trip planning.
Beth, do you know if a trip can be imported into your GPS (Garmin)?

It was so disappointing to learn Streets & Trips would not longer be upgraded or supported.
Best offline mapping program ever.
I've been unsuccessfully looking for something as good ever since.

THANKS, Beth.
I'm going to check it out!

mitch5252

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:57 pm

I just was told to check it out when I posted. I still have to do detailed checking. Let me know what you discover; I'll do the same.
Beth
Bethers

Postby Azusateach » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:21 pm

It's fascinating to read how everyone goes about planning their travels.

I've never been one to like following a map. My sense of direction is pretty good, so once I know where I want to go, I just go. Now, when it's a big trip, I make sure I know which freeways I need to use. I'm not at the point in my life where I can dawdle when I'm traveling -- I'm usually on a mission to get to a particular destination.

The only time I use any kind of "assistance" is when I'm trying to find the campground and it's off the beaten path. Then I'll put the address into my iPhone & listen to the little lady tell me how to get there. Otherwise I'm perfectly content to just go. :D
Azusateach

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:35 am

And I avoid freeways unless I have no choice. I like to, as much as possible, be off the beaten path.
Beth
Bethers

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:07 am

Here is a reply I received from a DeLorme User Forum.
Hopefully someone will answer about the AVOID AREA function.

http://forum.delorme.com/index.php?/topic/22395-want-to-try-sa-as-st-replacement/

mitch5252

Postby Liz » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 am

It's been several years, but I remember being able to avoid cities and/ or particular roads.
Liz
Liz

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues