Towing a trailer for toad

Towing a trailer for toad

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:23 pm

Hi All,
Would like to hear from anyone who has or is now towing a trailer with a small car on it. Pros? Cons? Is physical strength an issue for hooking up and unhooking? Issues at campsites? Cost? Maintenance? And so forth.

Happy Holidays to all. Thanks in advance.

Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Towing a trailer for toad

Postby longdog2 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:57 pm

One of the biggest issues with a car trailer or dolly is that there is often no place to park it at an RV park site or even a campground. How difficult it is to load will depend on the type of trailer. It's doable if it is the only way you can tow your car.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby monik7 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:23 pm

I have no personal information, but a couple years ago at Grand Canyon, I saw a couple with a car on a dolly. I asked the woman how easy it was to maneuver and she said she couldn't possibly handle the dolly. Way too heavy she said so she had to leave that to her hubby. I think she said it weighed about 1,000 lbs. Not sure on that, but it seems unless you're in a pull thru where you can leave it hitched, you'd have to unhook and muscle the dolly somewhere it would fit on a smaller site. Don't know how that would work if you had a back-in site.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby chalet05 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:05 pm

When late hubby and I first started out, we had a tow dolly. If it had to come off, he did the moving so I don't really remember. Backing up with car in tow with a tow dolly is pretty much not doable. I looked up two Demco products and they weigh in right around 600 pounds. Strapping the car on was not a big deal.

Since I got the trailer for the Slingshot, I have had pull thru spaces for the most part. Backing takes practice. At Canyon Lake last week, I had to unhook the trailer and leave it in their boat storage lot. Pull thrus are nice because I can load the night before if I choose.

Strength wise, I think it would just be a matter of lifting the tongue just enough to get it hitched when you were lined up. Best maybe to go to a dealer and try it.
Anita
chalet05

Postby monik7 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:31 pm

chalet05 wrote:Strength wise, I think it would just be a matter of lifting the tongue just enough to get it hitched when you were lined up. Best maybe to go to a dealer and try it.

It seems to me if the dolly was right behind your vehicle, all required would be to lift it up to the hitch. But what if you had to wheel it around to another area? Wouldn't you then have to drag it back behind your vehicle to hitch it up? In that scenario it seems more than just lifting it up.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby snowball » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:57 pm

nothing that I know about either...but you see a lot of it and various ways of doing so... will see a lot of people un hitch and then the tow car follows
into the campground ect...if I was to do it which right now with the fifth wheel have no reason to but would want the type of towing that the car is 4 down
I'm sure that others that currently tow will pop in and explain what they do
sheila
snowball

Postby chalet05 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:32 pm

Definitely, Sandi. One would have to make sure they were getting a site that didn't require that.
Anita
chalet05

Postby Bethers » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:57 pm

A friend of mine who full times tows her car on a dolly. She hates it but loves her car and it's not financially feasible for her to change now. But she will if/when she replaces the car. She put a tow hitch on the car to move the dolly at sites. In order to fit in some, she unhook, etc. Uses the car to move the dolly into the site, then backs her motorhome into the site over the dolly. Even not consisting that extra work it takes her considerably longer to hook up, etc, than me when we've been together. Some of the tow dollies are not supposed to be backed up when hooked, same as cars directly hooked. Some it's recommended only in emergencies, etc. So make sure you really learn what you can/should do.there are a couple forum members so have done both. I know Linda tried a dolly once deciding if it would work and decided against. Irmi and Steve had one and switched to towing all wheels down. I'm not sure why.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Olive6001 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:34 pm

Many thanks to everyone who has replied. I know a lot more now than I did before I asked.
Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Liz » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi Nikki!
I don't have any advice about trailers, but was glad to see you post.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Irmi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:55 am

We used a car trailer only one year and have since sold it. At the time, we didn't have any vehicles that could be towed four wheels down, so it was lots cheaper to buy a trailer than another car. Steve didn't like having to crawl under the trailer and secure the car to the trailer, because of the little space available between the car axle and the vehicle. But we couldn't feel the car and trailer behind us and it did a great job. We got a great deal on a car that could be towed four wheels down, so we got rid of the trailer. What ended up being a several hour job, between loading the car onto the trailer, securing the front axle, then the back axle is now a fifteen minute job hooking up the car to the Blue Ox. We should have done it right the first time!

Irmi

Postby BirdbyBird » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:02 am

There is a company, whose name I am not remembering at the moment, that is able to make a modification to the transmission of some cars that allows them to be towable four down. It might be worth trying to find out if your vehicle can be modified or not.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby gingerK » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 am

We have towed many cars on our flatbed car trailer for our business. It is a pita to get them on and off the trailer and strapped down. I've pulled the trailer with a car on it, but DH is the one who does all the loading/unloading/strapping down, not me. Never towed one behind my MH though.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby Olive6001 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:28 am

Thanks again, everyone. I don't think towing on a dolly is for me. I'm allergic to pita physical work. :D
Nikki
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby Birdie » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:52 pm

Evening Nikki! Sure miss seeing you on here.

The name of the company that makes car modification equipment is REMCO. Your RV guy will be able to help with some info. I know you will do your research on value impact to your vehicle if you do that. Good luck and don't be a stranger.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues