Adding a 12 volt outlet

Adding a 12 volt outlet

Postby JudyJB » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:22 pm

I am going nuts because there are no 12 volt outlets near where I sit and work, so I cannot charge my laptop while working.

Has anyone ever added an outlet, preferably hooking into an existing light? I have a light above my chair which would be perfect if I could hook into that. Even better would be replacing the light with one that includes an outlet?

I am not terribly handy, so looking for easy solutions, if there are such things.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Adding a 12 volt outlet

Postby WickedLady » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:54 pm

I would be interested in this as well.
WickedLady

Postby chalet05 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 pm

This isn't the solution you want, Judy, but I have a 12 volt extension cord. Mine is used outside for airing tires, trailer, etc. I know they come at least 25 feet long.
Anita
chalet05

Postby snowball » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:29 pm

hopefully someone will come on and read my answer and know what I'm talking about so that they can explain it better
I have a aquarium (not running right now) but at one time my husband talked about putting a small inverter on that outlet so that the
big one wouldn't have to be on all the time to keep the aquarium running...so I would look at seeing if that is possible...it's been years
since this was mentioned and we never did do it so not sure if I'm totally remembering correctly or not
sheila
snowball

Postby Liz » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:29 pm

JudyJB wrote:I am going nuts because there are no 12 volt outlets near where I sit and work, so I cannot charge my laptop while working.

Has anyone ever added an outlet, preferably hooking into an existing light? I have a light above my chair which would be perfect if I could hook into that. Even better would be replacing the light with one that includes an outlet?

I am not terribly handy, so looking for easy solutions, if there are such things.

There are 12 volt extension cords available if that would help.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby gingerK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 pm

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/06/rv-12-volt-outlet

Seems pretty straightforward. Not sure about adding one with a light on it though. I asked DH if you could just add one to an existing 12 V light and he said yes if the wires are heavy enough.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I use this for my satellite dish, which has a 12V male end...
I THINK it's called an ac/dc converter.
Only around $25-$30.

I just re-read your post. Are you sure this is the way (male to 12V female) that you want to go for your laptop?
I've never seen a laptop that only had a 12V male???

mitch5252

Postby bluepinecones » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:15 pm

I had Camping World add a 12v plug to Magic before I picked her up. Best I remember it was not expensive.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby brendac » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:19 pm

A small inverter such as this Dell product might be what you need.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/prod ... YhPj&ven2=,

You could then use a regular extension cord to reach your computer.

Hope this helps.
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby gingerK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 pm

Sorry, double post.
Last edited by gingerK on Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gingerK

Postby gingerK » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 pm

gingerK

Postby Bethers » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:37 pm

I have an inverter with a long enough cord but also had a 12 volt outlet added under my dinette and it's really handy for me. Was very inexpensive. I had had one added when I put solar on my previous rig and discovered how much I appreciated having it ... easily accessible and not having to use the inverter for a single item.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:56 am

Sorry, if I did not explain myself well.

I would like to be able to camp more easily without an electrical hookup and without running my generator. I have the proper 12 volt Dell cords/chargers with a built-in inverter for my laptop, but I have only two 12 volt outlets right now--one in my bedroom closet and one in the hall next to my TV that is there. However, the recliner that has been my "office" for 8 years, in my old condo and now in my motorhome, is too far from either outlet. SO here is what I currently have to do when I dry camp and either cannot or do not want to run my generator:

1) Plug in computer to 12 volt outlet in bedroom closet. Computer sits on my bed while charging. It takes a couple of hours to fully charge.
2) Take computer to living room and work for a couple of hours until battery dies.
3) Take computer back to bedroom, plug into 12 volt outlet outlet and repeat Step 1.

So, even if I have a lot of work to do, I can only work in two-hour increments with two-hour charging periods in between. It is a real pain, especially now at the end of the semester when I have a lot of stuff to do. Add to the above, I have to keep hotspot plugged into outlet in hall.

I have good coach batteries that hardly ever need charging with the generator, so I end up running the generator just so I can charge my laptop faster and work on it while it is charging. (Regular 110 charges a lot faster and 12 volt is very slow to charge.) I keep switching back and forth between 110 and 12 volt laptop chargers. Running my generator also no doubt irritates some of my neighbors.

The extension cord would do the trick, but I would really like a new 12 volt outlet where it is convenient. I will check Camping World and an RV dealer when I get to Napa.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby JudyJB » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:17 pm

I think I am going to get a 12v extension cord for now and then take a little longer to get a new outlet. The new outlet would really be ideal, but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

I would really like to do more dry camping, but it is the laptop and all my electronics that are frustrating me.

Thanks for everyone's help! :)
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:07 pm

JudyJB wrote:I think I am going to get a 12v extension cord for now and then take a little longer to get a new outlet. The new outlet would really be ideal, but I want to make sure I am doing it right.

I would really like to do more dry camping, but it is the laptop and all my electronics that are frustrating me.

Thanks for everyone's help! :)

I think most of us understood what you were looking to do. The extension cord for 12v OR an inverter on a long cord that plugs into 12v will both work. I know in the long run you'll love having the 12v where you would like it to be. It was one of the first things I had done on this rig when I purchased. In fact, they did it before I took possession.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues