Diesel Maintenance

Diesel Maintenance

Postby Aminton » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:39 am

I am seriously considering the Marcedes Benz sprinter diesel chassis. The salesman I have been working with told me to not take it any place other than a Mercedes dealership....even for an oil change. Since there are not many MB dealerships in the middle of a national park or out in the "wilds" of, say, Wyoming, I am curious as to what I should do if I have a maintence issue. It was suggested that I buy a road maintenance policy that would allow my RV to be towed to the nearest Mercedes dealership or repair facility, rather than just "to the nearest mechanic." Any one out there who has had experience with the Sprinter chassis? If so, what would you recommend? I am a single woman getting ready to hit the road full-time. Trying to dot my "I"s and cross my "t"s.
Aminton

Re: Diesel Maintenance

Postby monik7 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:25 pm

I have a 2012 Itasca Navion iQ on an MB Sprinter chassis. I'm so happy with it. I knew absolutely NOTHING about RVs and RVing when I bought it new after driving by and seeing it on the dealer's lot. Good for you doing your research. I was incredibly lucky because I managed to get a great vehicle and had no warranty problems. I did get an extended service plan and roadside assistance plan, both of which I haven't used in 3 1/2 years. I do not full time, but have put 30,000 miles on my RV since getting it new. Replacing the kitchen faucet this week was the first thing that needed to be fixed. I do take it to an MB dealer for service every 10,000 miles. One advantage I think is having an MB vehicle which are known for being well built. Service may cost more than driving into the local Ford dealer, but I feel it's worth it having such a reliable and well-built vehicle. That's about all I can offer, but can say I've never feared having a problem anywhere I've traveled.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby cnq50b » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:57 pm

I have a 2004 version of the Sprinter van which has the MB engine. The van itself is a Freightliner so I originally took it to them for service - thinking a Mercedes shop would be outside my league. However, I did end up taking it to the MB dealership since then & have been very happy with how thorough they are & really like the mechanic who took the time to come out to tell me what to check on etc. Freightliner shops are found everywhere, but whether or not they have mechanics who can service a sprinter is another question. Its just another option if you find yourself in a pinch.

Like Sandi said these engines are really solid. My brother who is a foreign car mechanice encouraged me with my purchase. Plus look around at all the delivery vehicles now-a-days, they are almost all sprinters. Granted you might not find anyone to fix it near a national park but if it is serviced regularly you shouldn't have any problems.

The one hassle I have is making sure to only use #2 diesel - can't use bio-diesel in these.
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby JudyJB » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:48 pm

While that is no doubt a good engine and vehicle, you need to know that maintenance on a diesel is considerably more expensive than on a gas engine. It also is a little harder to get done, especially since you are planning to full-time in far away places and going to be on a VERY tight budget.

The E-450 engines they put in gas motorhomes is an excellent motor and you will easily get 300,000 miles on it. It is built for hard wear and tough driving, so please consider a gaser as well.

In any case, be very careful of promises that a salesman makes. Many of us, including me, have been lied to by salesmen, so go slow and do a lot of looking before you buy. Is the one you are looking at new or used? And if it is used, does it still have some warranty on it that would require Mercedes to fix it?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby monik7 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:32 pm

You will also want to consider the quality of the coach part of the vehicle you get. I've heard that some have had problems during the first few months and years of getting their RVs and have resorted to going back to the dealer or even the factory for repair work. So it's not only the chassis you should consider. My only experience is with my vehicle and I have had no problems with chassis or coach. No trips to dealers or the factory for fixes. I also like the great mpg I get compared to gas vehicles.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Re: Mercedes Diesel and AAA

Postby Aminton » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Thanks all. I am still researching every element of RVing. Much of what I I have been going on is based on my past experience with automobile engines. Used to have a Mercedes diesel sedan that was like the Everready Bunny. It just would not stop running, even when it was 25 years old and I was ready to let it go. I did stop by AAA today to check on my RV Plus tow package. They assured me that AAA would tow me anywhere I needed to go, not just to nearest mechanic. They also gave me two Woodall Campground guides covering the far West of U.S. and Canada, and the historic West. I noticed the retail price of each was 22 dollars. I've been a member of AAA since 1994, but never visited their offices. They couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. A new-found resource.
Aminton

Postby JudyJB » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:10 am

That's great. I just worry about any newcomer being at the mercy of a salesperson!!

There is a road service company that specializes in RVs--CoachNet that many of us use. They are very experienced in sending companies that can handle big vehicles. With their more expensive program, they also offer technical advice over the phone. But it sounds as if AAA might work for you.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby MelissaD » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:33 am

Aminton wrote: The salesman I have been working with told me to not take it any place other than a Mercedes dealership....even for an oil change. Since there are not many MB dealerships in the middle of a national park or out in the "wilds" of, say, Wyoming, I am curious as to what I should do if I have a maintenance issue.

Just for background, since you do not know me. I've been around diesels since 1981ish. I've run everything from the diesel in my pickup, to my semi, to locomotive diesels, to marine diesels the size of a house. For my personal diesel, the mechanics in the shop at work recommended a guy for me. He's the only one I allow to work on my engine. I know others can fix it in a pinch but it's nice to be able to trust what I'm being told and for that I'm loyal to him.

So while the MB dealer might be a great choice for normal service, an issue on the road can be addressed by any diesel mechanic to get you up and running. The important thing is to find a shop that specializes in diesels. Volkswagen dealership or any other dealership that does a majority of diesel business, should be able to assist or point you in the right direction. Even a diesel mechanic in a truck stop should be able to get you moving again. They may have to overnight parts but since its an RV, you have a place to crash for the night ;) Many expedites use the sprinters vans and they get serviced while on the road.

I would also take what a salesman says with a grain of salt. He's there to make a sale, not what's right or best for you. Keep doing your own homework.
MelissaD

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:31 am

I just looked up service intervals for MB sprinters. They recommend every 30,000 km (18000 mi) or 1 year. Mine has had one oil change in 10 years because it's only got 24000 miles on it. Finally getting broke in. Never had a single problem in 10 years with the chassis. Finally had the chassis battery die last year at just under 10 years old! Only problem we have had is the stupid Onan Generator has quit twice. Died under warranty and worked a few years and died again and we have not had time to take it to be pulled out and fixed. Otherwise I love my Sprinter Leisure Travel and would buy another. Hubby did all maintenance until he got involved in all this cancer treatment. We use only synthetic oil as recommended. Quiet , reliable, and fun to drive. They did put a plastic turbo on them in the first units and some failed. So we picked up a stainless replacement from the dealer here ( was a Dodge product for a while, though ours is a Freightliner badge), and that turbo sits patiently in a cupboard just in case.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:47 am

As someone said, you can't use biodiesel in the engine and if you're traveling especially in the west, most of the diesel is biodiesel. Another thing to consider is if you're going to be traveling the back roads the gas stations can be few and far between. What with the cost of the upkeep, the cost of fuel and the possible difficulty of finding a diesel mechanic when you're in some small town, I went with the Ford 450E V10 engine. Never, ever had an engine problem in the years I had it. I heard somewhere that if you DIDN'T use a Mercedes shop for your service it would negate your warranty. And as everyone says, DON'T TRUST ANYTHING A SALESMAN TELLS YOU. Often they've never even driven what they're selling.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby monik7 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:45 am

retiredhappy wrote:As someone said, you can't use biodiesel in the engine and if you're traveling especially in the west, most of the diesel is biodiesel. Another thing to consider is if you're going to be traveling the back roads the gas stations can be few and far between.

I live in California and travel primarily in the West. I don't recall seeing anything referring to biodiesel at any stations I've visited. I also have never had any trouble finding diesel in my travels. Last year I went the northern route to Minnesota and Illinois and returned via a southern route. Never any trouble finding diesel.

I also wanted to add that the recommended service on my Sprinter chassis is every 10,000 miles.
Sandi

monik7

Postby MandysMom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:31 pm

I have lived in California most of my life with a few excursions during my Navy days. I never have trouble finding diesel on any trips here to Oklahoma and back. We use Gas Buddy and always find several stations with diesel in each town. Remember trucks use diesel, so it's on most routes. My Sprinter has a 500 to 600 mile range with its 25 gallon tank and more than 20 mpg, though I usually fill by around half tank, I've never come up worried. If I wanted biodiesel, I'd have to really look, as it's only in certain stations. I'm not sure why people speak so negatively about diesel engines. ESP the European diesels, such as the MB Sprinter engines, very reliable and easy to drive and maintain. Every gas engine I've had has begun to nickel and dime us by 100,000 miles, but diesels just keep going. Can't speak to American designed diesel engines but they are in a whole lot of trucks. I'm not pushing diesels, but don't want anyone to turn away because of misinformation. There are things to consider with both. Some people get all hung up over the past few years diesels to which you need to add DEF fluid to a special tank. It's a matter of keeping a container of it on hand ( available at Walmart they say- mine is pre Def) and add as needed. No more anxiety producing than adding water to radiator or oil to engine. my biggest irritation on the diesel issue is people who say they are noisy and smelly. Before I bought mine, when I was still researching, a woman I met in an RV group ( way before this wonderful group) got quite upset with me because I mentioned wanting a diesel Sprinter. She was adamant about it being a bad decision due to being noisy and smelly. After I bought my Sprinter, I drove up the hill here to her summer home to visit. We had a nice visit and she showed me their small Lazy Days and I showed her my LT. As I prepared to leave I started the Sprinter up. We continued chatting for a moment. Then I said, oh, is the smell a bother. She looked around and realized it was running and looked surprised and said no there is no,smell. No noise either? nope. Not sure I made a believer out of her, but sometimes seeing, hearing and smelling is at least worth the time!!! :lol:
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:36 am

I had to laugh Velda about the noise and smell... :D :D my truck is/was noisy think it was the noisiest year for the make
newer ones don't seem to have the same noise problems ...even though I've had tranny problems in the past couple of years would
buy a diesel again...I think both have pro's and con's and you need to figure out what you can live with...
I think that you will hear a lot of "my way is the best way and if you don't accept it you are wrong in your thinking." have fun in the research
and then make up your own mind
sheila
snowball

Postby chalet05 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:01 am

I have been all over this country and have never had a problem finding diesel. I don't remember ever seeing bio diesel.
Anita
chalet05

Postby judi » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:12 am

I also have a n MB diesel Sprinter based RV - a Leisure Travel Van. I love it. I have never taken it to MB for service because there is a Sprinter service place in Portland, Oregon. It's a 2 hour drive for me but they do a very good job and since they only work on Sprinters they know all about them. i live and travel in the west, and the only place I have seen biodiesel is in the city of Portland. I never have trouble finding diesel, and I travel to state parks and on the back roads. There are so many RVs near state and national parks so most stations have diesel. Along freeways there are truck stops with diesel. The DEF fluid is not an issue since it needs to be filled not very often. I top mine off about every 5th stop for fuel. When I went to Alaska I did carry 3 gallons with me, since things can be many miles apart. I am very pleased with my vehicle, and would definitely buy another when the time comes. Also - it is very easy to drive!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues