Google Maps & Garmin GPS

Google Maps & Garmin GPS

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:38 am

As some of you know, the new Google Maps makes it almost impossible to plan a route and then somehow easily get it into your Garmin GPS. And plotting anything but a 1-stop route directly into your Garmin is nightmarish.

This morning, I stumbled upon a new program that, based on my first impressions and first route transferred to my GPS, is quite easy to use.

I'm still playing with it, but Google Maps has been frustrating me for a while now - plan and plot your route, export it to Garmin Basecamp, and then into your GPS. UGH.

Anyway, thought some of you might like this. It's Harley (the motorcycle) based...

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.com/rideplanner/ridePlanner.jsp
mitch5252

Re: Google Maps & Garmin GPS

Postby avalen » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Interesting, I can see how that could work for an rv, road trip is a road trip no matter what kind of wheels you have
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby Azusateach » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:53 pm

Heck, I just get in the RV and go. Hopefully I'll find where I want to be by the end of the day.

Maps and I just don't get along. I've got an old Garmin, and the thing I liked it for (haven't used it in several years) was to show me how far I had to go until my next stop. This was when I was traveling solo. Now I've got a co-pilot to do that. ;)

Laura
Azusateach

Postby SoCalGalcas » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:30 am

I love, love, love maps. Especially the AAA ones with the dotted lines of scenic routes. I used to have a map for every state. I enjoy just sitting and reading a map! Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Postby gypsyrose1126 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 pm

SoCalGalcas wrote:I love, love, love maps. Especially the AAA ones with the dotted lines of scenic routes. I used to have a map for every state. I enjoy just sitting and reading a map! Lyn

Lyn, I am with you, I have a ton of Maps from AAA -- but my car also has a GPS which I use for city driving only. I have tried Road trippers for trip planning, it is ok, but needs some adjustments. What I like best about it, is that you can set it up for campgrounds, and what sites you are interested in seeing i.e. parks, beaches, museums, zoos, etc. within a certain mileage radius.
Rosemary
gypsyrose1126

Postby gingerK » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:50 am

Don't have Garmin, just a simple Tom Tom that loves to send me the wrong way-a lot. Like Lyn, I also like having real time paper maps to rely on and that's what I do most of my navigating by. That and my nav on my phone usually gets me where I need to go.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues