Tire Pressure

Tire Pressure

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm still at Watsadler COE park, and my new friend, who just joined this forum, Patsy (Yodarules) is having a tire pressure issue.

Her rig is a 2002 Class B+ and the original door sticker says front tires should be at 65 pounds; rear duallies at 80 psi.

She just purchased new tires in August, buying the LT225/75R 16 FIrestone Trans.
The MAX pressure listed on the front tire sidewall says 80 psi.

We are wondering if her front tires are at 65 psi, is she okay to drive home to Florida?
mitch5252

Re: Tire Pressure

Postby brendac » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Is the only issue max load tire pressure?
If so, my truck is the same, 65 front, 80 rear and I tow a 10,000 lb 5er.
Is she loosing pressure?
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes, just a little on driver front. But it's fixed now and 65 psi is the correct psi, we have since found out!
mitch5252

Postby monik7 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:35 pm

I got two new tires for the front of my rig a few months ago. The guy at Les Schwab told me the RV manufacturers always put a lower psi on the door for a smoother ride. I had asked because they had put in 70 lbs. and I was worried it might be too high and he said no. So I've been putting mine at about 68.
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:36 pm

mitch5252 wrote:Yes, just a little on driver front. But it's fixed now and 65 psi is the correct psi, we have since found out!

:-) That's quite common.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Acadianmom » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:49 pm

My 23' Coach House is 65 for front tires and 80 for the rear.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby gingerK » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:09 pm

My 21' class c is the same. Lower pressure in the fronts than the rear duallies.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby MelissaD » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:11 am

Glad it's fixed.

The manufacture of the vehicle lists the recommended tire pressure on a sticker in the driver's door jam. This is what the manufacture designed for best vehicle performance. The pressure listed on the tire sidewall is the maximum pressure the tire is rated for. There are tire charts that show for a given tire size and tire pressure, how much load the tire will safely carry. There is also a sticker on the front left of a trailer which lists the manufacture's recommended trailer tire pressures.
MelissaD

Postby gingerK » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:38 am

Mitch, I asked this same question of my DH when I first got the new tires on Angel and they were filled to different pressures. I thought the tire place guys screwed up since all four tires on my pickup were the same.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby monik7 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:53 pm

I looked at the tag on my door and it says the same pressure front and back.
Sandi

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
monik7

Postby Bethers » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:39 pm

monik7 wrote:I looked at the tag on my door and it says the same pressure front and back.
Sandi

You just like to be different :-)
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Bethers wrote:
monik7 wrote:I looked at the tag on my door and it says the same pressure front and back.
Sandi

You just like to be different :-)

You got that right. Seems to happen whether I want it or not.
Sandi

monik7

Postby YodaRules » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:47 am

This thread started out with my tire pressure problem while camping at Watsadler COE campground. After figuring out the correct pressure we found someone in the campground with a handy dandy little portable jumper unit that had a tire inflater included. This little unit added the needed 10 pounds of pressure with no problem.

Now, I am researching these handy dandy units to purchase one for my travels. Only thing I don't like is the jumper cables are only 12" long on all the ones I've read up on. Do like the one but it weighs 25 pounds but will do EVERYTHING - Schumacher Electric 1,200-Amp Car Battery Jump Starter.
Patsy
My Blog: http://looking4yoda.blogspot.com
Relaxing, Rock Hunting, Prospecting, Star Gazing, Fishing and looking for UFOs along the way!!

YodaRules

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:03 am

If you buy a 12 volt air compressor get one that says for trucks to even get close to reaching your rear wheels. I found a Black and Decker air compressor that is 12 volt and electric. If I can get my generator to start I can run it on electric with an extension cord or the hook up at a campground. It has a dial that you can set the pressure you want and it cuts off when it reaches that pressure. I have had several and it's my favorite. The 12 volt ones I had were slow.

I also carry an electric battery charger/starter that I had when I pulled a boat. Again, if I can get my generator to start I can jump the engine battery. The only thing I don't have are some jumper cables. I have never needed any but would probably be nice to have.

I found out on one trip that if a converter goes out you can plug in the battery charger, hook it to your batteries and still run the 12 volt system.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues