RV upgrades-Update

RV upgrades-Update

Postby Liz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:25 pm

This year's Rv upgrades: Added more photos

I had a new HDTV antenna installed. It doesn’t have to be cranked up and down. Already it’s pulling in more stations.

Had my sewer connections made more accessible. Valve extensions and pipe brought out to edge of RV where I can reach them without getting on my knees and crawling under the RV.

View of new connections: The first two (elbow and 1 straight piece) are permanently attached together.

This photo shows the parts that remain under the RV. It is easy to connect the hose with straight piece to the section under the RV ...no kneeling needed.

The pipes swing up out of the way when traveling.
Last edited by Liz on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Re: RV upgrades

Postby brendac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:33 pm

Very nice indeed. I have been eyeing a King Jack antenna. Please keep us posted about your experiences with it as you travel.
Will you be in Florida in February?
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby Liz » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:36 pm

brendac wrote:Very nice indeed. I have been eyeing a King Jack antenna. Please keep us posted about your experiences with it as you travel.
Will you be in Florida in February?

My plans are to go west after Thanksgiving...Lord willing and the creek don't rise.
Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby brendac » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:44 pm

Safe travels, I always enjoy your blog.
“Life is partly what we make it, and partly what it is made by the friends we choose.”
Tennessee Williams
brendac

Postby MandysMom » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:32 pm

I've been thnkng about that antennae for my van. Thanks for report.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby avalen » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Nice upgrades
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby MelissaD » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:27 am

Since I'm "height challenged" I went with the Winegard RAYZAR Air HDTV RV Antenna. Looked at the fixed like you chose, but did not think I had the clearance. Cut the cable at the house. Have those flat panel antennas hung on the wall and the window for TV at home.

Good idea on improving the "dump" operation. I often wonder if the people who design these RVs ever use them.

Looking forward to reading your future blogs.
MelissaD

Postby gingerK » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:05 am

So the antenna doesn't fold down? Then how high does it sit? I have also been wondering if I could get my black and grey drains tied together so I only have to open one drain to dump. I'll have to have DH take a look at it.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:28 am

Kathy, I think there are usually two pulls for a reason even if you are only seeing one hook up. The thought is you dump the black tank first, then close it and them you dump the second pull, "the gray water", which serves to flush most of the major "yuck" out of the hose leaving you with a more pleasant job of rinsing the hoses and putting them away.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Liz » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:48 am

gingerK wrote:So the antenna doesn't fold down? Then how high does it sit? I have also been wondering if I could get my black and grey drains tied together so I only have to open one drain to dump. I'll have to have DH take a look at it.

It is no higher than my AC, so not an issue.
Liz
Liz

Postby MelissaD » Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 am

gingerK wrote:So the antenna doesn't fold down? Then how high does it sit? I have also been wondering if I could get my black and grey drains tied together so I only have to open one drain to dump. I'll have to have DH take a look at it.

The antenna sits a foot high according to the spec's online. About the height of an A/C unit. If your antenna is mounted next to your A/C unit, it may block the signal.

As for the drain lines, it's often a matter of ground clearance and maintaining the proper drainage angle on the drain pipes. I have front and rear drain hose connections and while it would be convenient to have one connection, running the pipe front to rear and over the axles is not practical. The pipe is standard pipe for at Lowes.
MelissaD

Postby Birdie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:07 pm

My Winnebago came with the nifty Jack Antenna. It normally does ok. Realize I don't watch much TV. If you are in an iffy location it can get blocked. Mine is located toward the front passenger side and does take limb hits that turn it around in the low limb parks and streets. But is nice to not have to remember to lower the antenna.

Glad you got those extensions on the sewer Liz. Just be sure to remember no shortcuts!

Kathy, the two separate pulls are to prevent contamination of the gray water tank. Possibly for RV Techs more than the user. You, I should say I, really don't want crap from the black tank running into the gray tank. I have my RV guy service mine pull handles once a year. They pull easier if serviced. I know ladies that do their own servicing.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby gingerK » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:30 pm

What I meant was that I have 2 separate drain lines, one for the black and one for the grey. If they were combined in a y joint after their respective valves, then I wouldn't have to move the hose twice. Right now I have to attach the hose, dump the black tank then remove hose and attach to grey tank then dump it. I was just thinking it would be much easier to only have to attach to one drain line. But Melissa may be right in thinking the angle to join both together would hang down too low.
gingerK

Postby Birdie » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:17 pm

Sorry, Kathy, I misunderstood what you were saying. But it would certainly be worth getting the tape measure out. Moving the hose twice would certainly be PITA. I would be looking at that mod. I saw that mod on an old travel trailer a long time ago. They used a swivel connection to put the connections up higher when not in use.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby gingerK » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:32 pm

Birdie wrote:. They used a swivel connection to put the connections up higher when not in use.

Ok, that's something I'm going to look into. It just might work. Thanks Birdie.
gingerK

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues