cleaning after de-winterizing

cleaning after de-winterizing

Postby bertk523 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Sorry folks, I a new at this. We had our TT winterized last winter and de-winterized this spring. I will be using it for the first time soon. Do I need to sanitize the clean tank and plumbing? The TT is in a storage facility and I cannot pull it to our house to accomplish this. Where is the best place to go to fill the clean tank?
bertk523

Re: cleaning after de-winterizing

Postby MelissaD » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:56 am

Depends if you drink the water in your trailer or if you even use the freshwater tank.

If you use the city water connection (hook up the garden hose) the lines will pretty much flush themselves if you are not drinking it. If you use it often the chlorine in most city water systems would tend to flush the lines with routine use.

If you use you freshwater tank (ie use the water pump) you may want to sanitize it. 1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gal of Freshwater tank capacity. So a 30 gal FW tank needs a 1/2 cup of bleach.

There are many how to videos on You Tube that are often helpful. Just have to adapt them to your trailer. Example many TT's fill their FW tanks through a separate gravity fill rather than turning a diverter valve. Think of them more a guides and not gospel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEepug8N-aE
MelissaD

Re: cleaning after de-winterizing

Postby JudyJB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:55 pm

Because I lived in a cold climate and picked it up in early April, my motorhome came winterized with the pink stuff in everything.

All I did was select a full-service campground (in May after everything around there thawed out). I hooked up sewer and city water and kept running city water through the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower, plus toilet, until I could tell by peeking at the sewer connection and running a few glasses of water from the kitchen that it was coming out clear. Then I shut off the city water and did the same for my fresh water tank, until that was clear water, also.

Luckily I had arrived there early in the day and had a ton of unpacking to do. Finally, I turned on the water heater, after switching the bypass switch. You do not want to run all that antifreeze through your water heater. And eventually, I was able to heat up water and do dishes and even take shower. (I did not drink the water for a couple of days.) The next morning I dumped a cup of Clorox into the fresh water tank and followed instructions to let it run through all pipes.

I am sure I used a lot of water that day, but afterwards I had no taste from the antifreeze and felt secure that everything was clean. I spent three nights that time at a state park figuring how to work everything. And I do drink the water from my freshwater tank, except in Florida which has the worst tasting water in the country!!
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues