Motorhome Generators

Motorhome Generators

Postby Azusateach » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:17 am

I didn't know what to title this, so I hope this gets some action ...

We have a generator in our Class A motorhome. There have been rare occasions where we'd like to run it while traveling to help keep the dogs cool behind the cab area. Can we start the genny while still moving down the road, or do we have to pull over somewhere, stop, and then fire it up?

And is there REALLY a big cost differential between running the house AC (using the generator) and running the dash AC? With my hot flashes the house AC isn't strong enough to blow on me as I'm driving -- or even if I'm riding shotgun.

Thanks!

Laura
Azusateach

Re: Motorhome Generators

Postby MelissaD » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:34 am

Running the generator while driving is the only way to keep a class A cool while driving. Just turn generator on as needed.

As for fuel consumption, it depends on your generator, the generator will probably burn around 0.5 gph or less. In the grand scheme of things that's less than $2.00 an hour.

Per the manual a 7.5 KV Onan diesel generator
no load 0.13 gph
1/2 load 0.49 gph
Full load 0.96 gph

I believe you have a Onan's 4KW gas-powered RV generator:

Average Fuel Consumption:
No Load (Gal/h) = 0.3
Half Load - 50% (Gal/h) = 0.5
Full Load (Gal/h) = 0.7
MelissaD

Postby BirdbyBird » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:16 am

I know folks that run theirs all the time while driving especially in the mountains or in the hot weather because it is easier on the engine, and the generator and AC keep the house so much cooler. Now the Q about whether or not you can just push that button on the dash as you are already driving down the road, I don't know but if you haven't already called Thor's help line, try it. They have been wonderful about telling me where to find specific fuses and problem solving small issues, like the first time I needed to find that little red switch for the antenna (for cable to work...)
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Acadianmom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:44 am

I don't know why you couldn't start the generator going down the road. Most of the time my engine needs to be running to give the house battery a little extra power to start the generator anyway. The roof air doesn't really cool the cab part of my motorhome. If there was some reason I couldn't run the dash air I would try putting a fan to blow the cool air to the front. I have alway felt if I was going to have one of these big gas guzzlers I wasn't going to worry about how many miles to the gallon it got.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby OregonLuvr » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 pm

I can start mine while driving down the road But I usually start it while I am stopped then when it is ready I turn my AC on then I am good to go. Was told to take the load off before shutting down the genny.

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby MandysMom » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:31 pm

Our old bus had no dash air, but was built with a alternator that bus people fondly say is powerful enough to power a small city! So Mel and Wrico generator of Oregon installed our huge 4kw inverter so we could power it and thus the 3 roof airs off the engine alternator as we ran down the road. Did not affect amount of diesel the engine consumed as it was running anyhow. That was real helpful summer of 08 as we traveled across the US. Our Sprinter is so small the dash air is enough on the road.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby Birdie » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:04 pm

When it is hot I run the genny and house a/c. The A/c vents in the front I turn to the drivers position. The vents in the bathroom and bedroom and kitchen I close. That gives me more air in the front. In theory the gas used for the genny is less than the gas used for the dash a/c which doesn't help me much. Just go for it Laura! You are surely worth a couple gallons of gas!!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Azusateach » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:16 pm

BirdbyBird wrote: Now the Q about whether or not you can just push that button on the dash as you are already driving down the road, I don't know but if you haven't already called Thor's help line, try it.

I've called Thor several times, Tina, and they've been a great help. I'll give that a try before school some morning when I remember.

And Birdie, since we're already using a gallon of gas per foot, I rarely think about how much we're using anymore. :cry: 30' Class A motorhomes are NOT gas misers!

Laura
Azusateach

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues