Refrig Not Working on Propane - OK Electric

Refrig Not Working on Propane - OK Electric

Postby JudyJB » Thu May 28, 2015 2:54 pm

I have a full tank of propane, but I discovered the other day when I was driving all day that my refrigerator was not cooling on propane. It works fine on electric, but I have a couple of long drives ahead. It is only three years old and never had this problem before. I am getting propane to stove and hot water heater, so that is not the problem. Also, since it is working on electric, it is not a fuse. And the little battery light is on, so it is getting power under propane.

I called two RV repair places and both are backed up, so can't look at it for at least 2-3 weeks, by which time I will be taking my California son and two grandkids up to upper Michigan. I can't delay that trip, so I don't know what to do. I am going to take the cover off on the outside later today and see if there is anything obvious looking.

Any suggestions?
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Re: Refrig Not Working on Propane - OK Electric

Postby sharon » Thu May 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Do you have the control set for Auto? Try taking off of Auto and setting on gas....Sounds like a problem in the board. Does it try to light? If so, could be the igniter.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby MelissaD » Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Since other gas systems are working it's in the fridge. You can pop the cover and see if you find a loose wire to the igniter or a dirty igniter. The burner tip may be dirt and not lighting correctly. There is a thermal couple in there that senses the fire is light. If it goes bad it will turn off the gas. That's all I can think of.
MelissaD

Postby Liz » Thu May 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Check for insects, lizards, and even rodents nest. Don't ask how I know.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby JudyJB » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm

It is on auto, but when I press the "gas" button, it does not light up, Sharon.

I am going for a quick bike ride while the weather is good and then I have a student presentation event online at 7:00 pm tonight, so I will probably not be able to tackle opening the outside cover until tomorrow. Thanks for suggesting things to look for. Hope it is not rodents, lizards, bugs, and such. :o
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby gingerK » Thu May 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Control board I bet.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby JudyJB » Thu May 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Is the control panel inside or outside? And how do you get access to it?
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby mtngal » Thu May 28, 2015 9:58 pm

Judy, recently I had to get new ignitor, it was a 30 minute job. Maybe a mobile tech?
Diana
mtngal

Postby Acadianmom » Thu May 28, 2015 10:27 pm

You can run your generator while you are on the road until you can get the refrigerator repaired.

My refrigerator only runs on electric. I keep 4 of the larger blue ice things in the freezer. When I'm on the road I put the blue ice in the refrigerator part. If I don't open the door the temperature only rises a few degrees. If I have any food I am worried about getting too warm I just put it in the freezer while I'm on the road.

I have an inverter around here somewhere. I need to see if it would run the refrigerator while I'm on the road.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby Bethers » Fri May 29, 2015 12:16 am

When mine did that in my old rig it was the thermocoupler. Easy and not expensive fix. But could be other things. Access is from the outside panel. That's also where you want to check for insects, wasps, etc.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:05 pm

Last weekend I found mine blinking red on gas. It was set to auto, but since no hookups, it was on gas. When I turned it completely off then back on, it worked fine. I don't know what caused it to do that, but it worked fine from then on.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby IrishIroamed » Fri May 29, 2015 12:36 pm

Sorry for dropping a dumb newbie question here, but I was told all RV fridges run on propane only. Or is it specific to TT's? I know JudyJB & Sandi have C's, so I'm curious that theirs may run on electric only (?)
Cheryl
Today me will live in the moment unless it's unpleasant in which case me will eat a cookie ~~~Cookie Monster

IrishIroamed

Postby MelissaD » Fri May 29, 2015 12:52 pm

IrishIroamed wrote:Sorry for dropping a dumb newbie question here, but I was told all RV fridges run on propane only. Or is it specific to TT's? I know JudyJB & Sandi have C's, so I'm curious that theirs may run on electric only (?)

Depends on the unit. Many fridges and water heaters now have a "gas or electric function". They add electric heater elements to "replace" the heat from the gas fire. May also be a "price point" of the RV or a function of age. Some of the smaller TT's like the 20' and under seem to run on gas only. Something else to put on your wish list :lol:
Last edited by MelissaD on Fri May 29, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MelissaD

Postby MandysMom » Fri May 29, 2015 12:54 pm

RV fridges may be electric only ( many new Class A have this option), or Propane/ electric which allows you to choose between and usually there is an auto selection where if you are plugged in it will use electric and automatically switch to gas if you unplug. To further muddle things, there are two way and 3 way fridges. 3 way can choose propane or 12 volt (battery) or 110 ( house type plug in power), just depends,on what the manufacturer chose for the rig and not exclusive to trailers or motorhomes. I have not recently heard of RV with a propane only feature because propane fridges have a control panel which requires electricity. We even have a small chest type that can run on 110 AC current or 12 volt DC current and can be in either fridge or freezer mode, which gives us extra freezer space when we travel in our bus conversion and is portable.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby MelissaD » Fri May 29, 2015 1:03 pm

Since you are some what in the area this place is in Shipshewana on IN-5 just south of IN-120 (by the Shipshewana Campground North). Not much to look at but I know full timers that swear by them. See everything from Class A DP to TT in the lot. Looks like its about 125 miles from you.

http://www.fixyourfridge.com/index.php
MelissaD

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues