Refrig Not Working on Propane - OK Electric

Re: Refrig Not Working on Propane - OK Electric

Postby JudyJB » Fri May 29, 2015 3:52 pm

No dumb questions here. Mine runs on either propane or electric (120 volt when plugged in to campground source) and switches automatically. I am very glad for the automatic switch, as I know I would never remember to do it manually.

Even when it runs on propane, it does require a tiny bit of 12v power, which is supplied by the house batteries.

And, by the way, it took me 6 months to figure out how the 12v batteries got charged by the 120v outside hookup through the converter, and then ran all the lights. I kept thinking the lights in my motorhome also switched over to 120v, which is impossible!! My inverter is under my bed in a wooden box, and I flipped the breaker to turn it off once because I couldn't figure out what the noise was coming from. Then when my batteries ran down and my lights got dim, someone helped me figure it out. :oops:
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Location: In various COE and state parks in Florida for winter.

Postby linann » Sun May 31, 2015 3:40 pm

Judy,

As long as you have electric when parked, you should be OK driving without propane. I never drive with propane on. After reading a safety article in one of the RV magazines that advised against driving with propane on, I decided it isn't worth it. Plus, it is illegal in some states.

The refrigerator stays cold even on long driving days because it is set cold the night before, the door is not being opened during the day while driving, and it is plugged in immediately on arrival at the new location.

Most RV parks know of a mobile tech that services their area and may even have someone at their campground who does this.
Linann
Live boldly one day at a time
linann

Postby Bethers » Sun May 31, 2015 6:18 pm

It is NOT illegal to drive with the propane on in ANY state. It is illegal in some tunnels and on some ferries.

It's a personal choice and in my opinion there are a lot more dangerous items in the RV. Every time there is an rv fire, every rver I know immediately blames the fridge. Yet most are not caused by the fridge.

Btw, the same tunnels that have restrictions on turning off propane have laws against carrying gas containers through them. I've never yet heard of an rver carrying gas containers obeying that law. But I turn off my propane for them. And otherwise I travel with my propane on and fridge on.

How many of you check your battery connections regularly? The latest rv fire a friend of mine had was caused by bad connections to the auxiliary batteries. And just like in homes, faulty wiring causes fires.

I'm not going to say there haven't been RV fires caused by the fridges, but they have been blamed for way more fires than they cause.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby JudyJB » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:15 pm

Had about given up on getting my refrigerator fixed after calling multiple dealers in Ohio and Michigan. Finally, one place that could not get me in to service until mid-July, sent me to one of their repairmen who runs a mobile repair service after hours. He came and cleaned out some dirt from several places and got the gas to fire up, so for $75, I now have a refrigerator that will keep food cold even when not hooked up to electric!

Yea!!
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:31 pm

Good news and probably way lower cost than most of those places would have charged.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby gingerK » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 am

Would be good to list his contact info here for any of us who might need him if we are in that area, Judy. Glad you got your fridge problem sorted out.
Any day spent in the company of my animals is a good day.
gingerK

Postby JudyJB » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:59 pm

Well, except that it was not working on propane again today. :cry:

So, I guess I will have to call him when I get back to the Detroit area. Darn.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby Bettyboop » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Since you posted in May and it is now November. I suspect you have solved the problem. Mine was mud daubers. Little wasp that is attracted by the propane builds a muddy little nest for its eggs filling up the gas jet next to the igniter. My solution once cleaned out were screens that fit into the refrigerator vets on the side of the unit. No more access for the critters. I have these on the fridge, furnace and water heater vents now. I am a newbie to your site and just doing a little exploring. Thought I would contribute.
Bettyboop

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues