washing blinds...

washing blinds...

Postby islandmomma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:56 pm

I do not know if this has ever been covered before...? I have seen ppl and sites that deal with repair of these so-called day/night shades that so many coaches have and I have actually managed to repair some of the issues with these 'shades' in my used MH in terms of strings or tension so they now go up and down again and stay where I put them. Now that we have some sunshine LOL, 'though', I see that some are quite soiled and/or at least spattered with stuff (like? coffee at the one next to the dinette table). I had thought of trying to steam clean them with a hand steamer but I do not think that would work well with the pleats or would get them very clean... I know to spray starch them and tightly open them until they are dry (to restore the pleats that are pretty bunged up) but how best to get them cleaner to start? Has anyone taken them down and handwashed them in the tub or anything? That is what I did with the front cab draw curtains and they came out fairly well... Any ideas re soap to use or is it best not to try to take them down at all? I like them and they seem in reasonable shape for over 12 years old but I need them to be clean LOL!

Thanks for any ideas in advance...

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Re: washing blinds...

Postby avalen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:49 pm

I have regular pleated shades and I took them down made a tub of soapy water using
laundry soap and swished them up and down and then rinsed. Hung them out in the
sunshine to dry then put them back up. They were white like new :D
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues