It's the fuse, Dummy

It's the fuse, Dummy

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:09 pm

As I posted this morning, my tv swing arm was not working. Plug came out while I was dusting. Asked camp host to try to help me plug it in, but it still would not work. Camping World has no service today so I set up at Disney. Then I noticed red light on circuit panel. DUh. Burned out fuse and had no replacement so back to CW before they closed and bought multiple fuses.

I've been on the road for three years and never thought to get fuses---really dumb! So put new fuse in and it works.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Re: It's the fuse, Dummy

Postby avalen » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:17 pm

ahh good, lesson learned
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:52 pm

I was lucky I was only 10 miles from CW instead of 100.

Worst part was TV was blocking bed my niece and her husband were going to sleep in tomorrow night.
JudyJB
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby Bethers » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 pm

Glad you caught it. I'm knocking on wood. I had extra fuses (came with my last rig) and never needed one. Don't have any now. I should get a few, eh? I can't imagine another 10 years so lucky.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 pm

Good catch, Judy. So far I have not had to replace a fuse, nor do I have any. My box is awkwardly placed under the dining table in one of the bench seats. Who designs these things?
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby JudyJB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:15 pm

Luckily mine is on the side of the platform that my bed sits on, but right at the end of my hallway, and it had a red light on it instead of the usual green light so it was staring me in the face. If it had been hidden under something, I would never (duh) have thought to check it.

It took me a few seconds even after I saw the red light to have it register as something strange. Funny how once we decide on the cause of the problem, we stick to it. I knew the plug had fallen out, but I also knew that the camp host thought he had gotten it in good, and in fact it even made a clicking noise when he plugged it in. Apparently, when he plugged it in, it must have blown the fuse, but I was still thinking it had not been plugged in right. So this week, I passed toilets and flunked fuses!

So now I have extra fuses, and I strongly suggest all of us carry these. The bad thing about my TV being on a movable arm is that you really are not supposed to drive with it that way because it is not very well supported. I stuffed the memory foam mattress topper I had gotten out to put on the bed under it to give it some support as I drove to CW. I could have been in the middle of Nevada with company who needed to sleep in that bed, so I was lucky.
JudyJB
JudyJB

Postby judi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:20 am

Looks like I will be stopping at CW the next time I see one - smart idea to carry fuses. Thanks for the post!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby cnq50b » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:52 am

I don't consider you a dummy - you figured it out!!! And have now warned the rest of us. :D
Good job!
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby longdog2 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:53 am

Judi.....you can pick up a mixed package of fuses anywhere like Walmart or autoparts. They are not specific to RVs.
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby judi » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:40 am

Thank you Longdog - I had no idea they were not specific to RVs!
Judi
Portland, Oregon
perpetualmotionrv.blogspot.com

'You have brains in your head,
you have feet in your shoes,
you can steer yourself
any direction you choose." Dr Seuss
judi

Postby Acadianmom » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:29 pm

You need to see what size you need because there are 2 different sizes. My coach electrics take the larger ones and my automotive fuses are smaller. The fuse box for the van is up under the steering wheel and I have to almost stand on my head to see them. The fuse for the cigarette lighter blows when I try to use the 12 volt air pump. I have ask several times to have it checked but that is not high on their things to work on. It took me several years to get them to actually fix the cruise control.

Martha
Martha
2010 Coach House
Acadianmom

Postby snowball » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:21 pm

so does the 5th wheel have fuses? if so where would I find them?
sheila
snowball

Postby MelissaD » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:35 pm

snowball wrote:so does the 5th wheel have fuses? if so where would I find them?
sheila

My fuse panel is a brown panel about 8 x 10" near the floor below the cabinet with all the gages in it. There is a tinted window in it and it held shut with a magnet. Mine shows a red light when I blow a fuse. I have a craft box and I have all the fuses sorted out by size. I also have spare light bulbs and a fuse puller in the box. If you raise the landing gear too high on my trailer it pops a 30 amp fuse in the landing gear line. I marked the one leg so I know how high I can retract the legs. There are fuses in-line on some components like the fridge, landing gear and a fuse in the main line from the battery.

In a 5th wheel they are normally on the wall or cabinet between the floors (near stair well to upstairs) since most of the electrical is accessible by removing the back wall of the "basement" storage bay.
MelissaD

Postby Birdie » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:56 am

My fuse box is under the fridge and has a brown door that flips down. It uses 5, 15 and a 30 amp fuse. I got a small box with 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and tester/puller at WalMart. It is easy to use tester and makes finding the blown one easier. I did write out which fuse works what and have that taped to that door which helps. That is also where my breakers for the systems are located, except for my inverter. Of course, the inverter is in a storage bay 'out of harms way', means you have to contort to reach it.

If you happen to experiment with the incorrect LED light type it will blow a fuse. If you happen to not get a plug placed in smoothly and it arcs/sparks it will blow a fuse. Been there, done those! I carry more 15 amp fuses because most of mine are 15 amp, 3 are 5 amp and 2 are 30 amp. The 10, 20, and 25 can save someone else, sometime, somewhere. I see spare fuses like a spare tire...never want to use it, always glad I have it when I must have it!
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby dpf » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:53 am

You're not a dummy! You figured it out. But I really doubt you have to wait to go to a Camping World to get the fuses. We've been able to pick fuses and light bulbs that we have needed for the 5er at the local service station, hardware stores and Wally World. We keep a variety on hand.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues