what gets those black spots the rv

what gets those black spots the rv

Postby JRKERMIT » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:29 pm

I have been spring cleaning my rv and have it all shiny and clean on the inside. So now to the outside. What do you use to wash the outside and what gets those ugly black spots off and the rubber or vinyl areas on the outside on the rubber or vinyl areas.

Also I was thinking of trying to find a truck wash around here and take it there as I am not getting on the roof to wash that part. Are they worth to money or should I just use a tall ladder and long pole to wash the roof.
Don't worry if plan A fails there are 25 more letters in the alphabet.
JRKERMIT

Re: what gets those black spots the rv

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:51 pm

The truck places don't wash the roof - and you wouldn't want them to. I use them to get them occasionally to get the road dirt off the rv. I make sure they don't use high pressure - one reason I'll select Blue Beacon if I see one.

Wash the roof carefully - you do not want to cause damage to it.

There are specific cleaners that supposedly will get the black streaks off - most rv places carry them. Some swear by them, others say just use basic cleaners and elbow grease. My current rv has specific things to not use to clean the rv - so I pretty much use Dawn dish soap :) The black streaks are from the rubber roof. Most important on the roof is to regularly check all the seals and make sure they aren't cracking, etc. There are products you can put on the rubber roof - usually not necessary more than annually, to help protect it. As to getting on the roof - I do every month to check the cracking, etc. It's part of my monthly maintenance "program" and also why I'll always have an rv with a ladder built in :)

That said, don't mistake me for a person who does her own maintenance - some, yes, but most, no. I do my own preventive maintenance the best I can!
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MandysMom » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:13 pm

Blue Beacon has a app for smart phones. I got it but have not used it yet. Luckily roofs on both our RVs are metal.

Velda
MandysMom

Postby Bethers » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:36 pm

MandysMom wrote:Blue Beacon has a app for smart phones. I got it but have not used it yet. Luckily roofs on both our RVs are metal.

Velda

My new one is fiberglass.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:36 pm

Blue Beacon or "Streakin Beacon" as the trucker call them. They use high pressure wands to you need to be careful with what they wash. I would not want them washing my roof with those wands. I've seen them damage big trucks and a RV is more fragile. Roof wash is an additional price.

I use a little Dawn and a brush with an extension handle to wash mine. It's what the RV shop suggested. There are "you wash it" style truck washes and I'd do that cause I can control it then.

If you RV has a ladder built on it you should be able to walk gently on the roof to gently wash it off. As Beth said the streaks come from dirt running off the roof.
MelissaD

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues