Excessive Condensation?

Excessive Condensation?

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:40 am

I don't know if this is a problem for anyone else, but RVn this month I have a terrible problem with condensation on the windows. So bad in fact that it runs down the walls. There is a window over the bed in the back & I have to pull the mattress out from the wall every day to dry it out. I asked the guy at Camping World about it, & bought a little canister called DriZair. It doesn't help at all. Do any of you use dehumidifiers? If so, where could I get a reasonably priced small one? Or do you have any other suggestions?
NakedPupsAndMe

Re: Excessive Condensation?

Postby Cedar518 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Are you keeping your windows cracked a bit? And try not to boil water,... condensation is a fact of life in a camper even your breath will create it.
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Depending on the weather - in cool weather - yep, best thing to do is crack a window or possibly open a top vent and make sure the sun is able to get to those windows without anything blocking it - I've been lucky and not had a problem in the cool/cold weather. When it's hot I do have a problem occasionally - and running the air and keeping windows closed helps.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 pm

There's not been any water boiling going on, not even any cooking if I can help it! :lol: It has been very cold, & I have not left any windows cracked. I have been looking on line for dehumidifiers. I am getting one before we hit the road. When it's not so bitter cold, I'll crack the vents of windows too.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:30 am

Aren't you located in the south? you've had bitter cold weather? wow,.... But even in cold weather to have a couple windows just cracked a bit is healthy. It's the best remedy. good luck!
Cedar518

Postby islandmomma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:46 pm

We got a wonderfully efficient little de-humidifier (and where I live it is a necessity!!) several years ago from an RV supply place that has since folded...:(. I would like to tell you the name but we have renters in at our trailer at the beach and I do not want to disturb them to check. It stands about 2 feet tall and maybe 8" in diameter and takes up to 3 cups out the air daily if necessary.... It turns itself off when it is full. Takes about the same electricity as a lamp. No special care at all is required. I had never before seen one that size and most that are sold around here, even now, are huge and for whole houses!! Anyway, wish I could tell you the brand name but did want to tell you they exist. I bet Camping World or some of the larger US places would have something comparable... Good luck!

jan

PS Should warn you that it was not cheap...I think 75 or 80 bucks as I recall but everything here is expensive LOL! Then again, my super little 1500 watt space heater (that is an amazing propane saver!!) cost only 35 a few weeks back!!
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:58 pm

Jan,
Thanks for reminding me - I have one! LOL - got it this past spring to help with the humidity in here when I didn't want to run the air! Used it most of spring into June - then was running the air enough in July, etc that I put it away. Don't remember where I bought it - but here's a link to it on Amazon:
Petite Dehumidifier

Yes, it's small as stated by Jan, but did the trick for me - and uses very little wattage which is important in the rv.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby islandmomma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:03 pm

Yes Beth!! That sure looks like an updated version of what we have!! As I said it runs pretty much year round at our seaside place (humidity ranges from maybe 65 to 95% year round) and, now I think of it, we bought it in 2005 so it is more than 3 years old now. It has been a great little machine for us in a 31' TT with large slide and we have never had a fogged up window again or dampness anywhere!! In fact about a year and a half ago when we had a major flooding issue in the bathroom, this little sucker (literally) took quarts of water out of the whole unit over a several day period!! Ours sits in a corner next to the TV and takes almost no space.

jan
islandmomma

Location: Vancouver Island, BC is my home base but have been 'on the road' since April 18, 2009

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Thank you!! That looks perfect. I'm ordering one for our next time out. You all are very helpful! :D Thanks again!
NakedPupsAndMe

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues