Generator or switch problem?? UPDATE, more ??

Generator or switch problem?? UPDATE, more ??

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:29 pm

Tried to exercise generator last week; no history of any problems with it. However when I tried to start it from the inside control panel nothing happened. It was as if the switch wasn't connected to anything. Checked breakers and house batteries, including water levels; all seemed okay. Tried starting it from the outside. It tried to fire but would not catch. Not sure if I have a problem with the generator or the switch or both.

Is there anything else I should check/try?
Last edited by bluepinecones on Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Re: Generator or switch problem??

Postby monik7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:42 pm

When something similar happened to me I found there was some sort of breaker switch on the generator itself. Once I switched that back on, it worked.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:55 pm

I also had the experience Sandi spoke of. There is a breaker switch on the generator, like the ones in a house, you have to switch it off and back on.....hope that is all it is....
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby JudyJB » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:39 pm

Do you have enough gas or diesel in your vehicle tank? Mine says it will not work unless I have at least 1/4 tank.
JudyJB
http://grandmajjb.blogspot.com/
https://2022humongousukadventure.blogspot.com/
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." Mark Twain.
JudyJB

Postby bluepinecones » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks, ladies. yes, I have nearly a full tank of gas.
Don't remember seeing anything that looked like a breaker on the generator itself but if the rain ever stops again, I'll go back and look for it. I did check the breakers inside the cabin and none of them appeared to be tripped. Really don't want to leave here in couple of weeks without generator working. Any idea what might cause that breaker to trip?
bluepinecones

Postby BirdbyBird » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:45 pm

question? You do unplug the rig from the pole before you try to turn the generator on, right?

And I don't remember what caused my breaker to flip but it wasn't connected to an ongoing problem. ....think it was just a blip in something at the time.... The breaker switch was on the actual generator. I was a newbie and was at a Life on Wheels Conference. The guy in the rig next to mine showed me the switch.....
BirdbyBird

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 am

I had same problem with generator breakermine is located right on the generator alsoI would have to go out and look to remember where it is thoughif you don't find it I will go out and check and see take a picture of it
grammynmaggie

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:44 am

Tina, I did not unplug but did turn the power off at pole before attempting to start generator.

Donna, thanks - will let you know if I cannot locate the outside breaker.
bluepinecones

Postby monik7 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:03 pm

BirdbyBird wrote:question? You do unplug the rig from the pole before you try to turn the generator on, right?

And I don't remember what caused my breaker to flip but it wasn't connected to an ongoing problem. ....think it was just a blip in something at the time.... The breaker switch was on the actual generator. I was a newbie and was at a Life on Wheels Conference. The guy in the rig next to mine showed me the switch.....

Tina, so is it a rule to not turn the generator on if you're connected to electric? I don't know if I've ever turned it on while connected, but didn't know you should disconnect.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:09 pm

My last rig was designed that it was impossible to get juice from the generator without unplugging from the pole and taking the plug and connecting it to the socket for the generator on the rig. I had read about the issue in the past but didn't need to think about it back then. On this rig, it was one of the issues that the tech warned me about when he went over all the buttons, etc. He said it is the easiest way to buy yourself a boat load of electrical system expenses as apparently you can fry things. The generator start on the front dash makes me nervous now....it is right next to the identical button that raises and lowers the front curtain. :shock: :? I have to think and check ever time I reach for the curtain button... :)
BirdbyBird

Postby grammynmaggie » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:44 pm

I run my generator not connected to power because I want to give the generator a workout so it needs to be plugged into the rv socket I would never run it while it was still plugged to a point...
grammynmaggie

Postby Bethers » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 pm

On my last rig I could turn the generator on while plugged in, but it wouldn't generate power. It wouldn't switch over to be used by the generator unless power was unplugged. Therefore, was not something to do. On my current rig the electric has to be plugged into the generator circuit, thus whenever I unplug from electric I automatically plug into the generator source in case I want to use it before I have hook ups again.

Sarah, since it's not powering up from the switch inside or the one on the generator, I can't imagine the switch having anything to do with it. But I could be wrong. And you did prime it, right?
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:06 am

If my batteries are low the generator won't start BUT if I start my engine then I can start the generator. If plugged in the batteries shouldn't get low. Make sure your battery disconnect is not off.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby bluepinecones » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks for the tips.
I went back to campground today. Finally found the breaker on generator; reset it. That got the switch inside the rig working again. Tried several times to start generator , with the inside switch and the external one - with no luck. It did try to turn over but never started. Didn't think about it until I was almost back home - - maybe I flooded it when trying to prime??? Do generators flood like a car engine??
Any other suggestions welcome.
bluepinecones

Postby Bethers » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:56 pm

bluepinecones wrote:Thanks for the tips.
I went back to campground today. Finally found the breaker on generator; reset it. That got the switch inside the rig working again. Tried several times to start generator , with the inside switch and the external one - with no luck. It did try to turn over but never started. Didn't think about it until I was almost back home - - maybe I flooded it when trying to prime??? Do generators flood like a car engine??
Any other suggestions welcome.

Yes, you can flood it. And if the battery doesn't have enough ooomph, it'll do what you said. Try what Karen said and start the rigs engine, then try. If it starts easily then, the battery might need replacing if you think it should have been fully charged.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues