Protecting tires??

Protecting tires??

Postby Othersharon » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:14 am

I know I saw this at one point but can't find it now. I want to get the tires on Lola up off the blacktop on my driveway but can't remember the best way to do it. Something about wood? Would appreciate your ideas and how tos to do this. Thanks!
Othersharon

Re: Protecting tires??

Postby monik7 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:48 am

I just drive mine up on one layer of my leveling blocks. Very easy.
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby MelissaD » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:26 pm

BF Goodrich: Frequently Asked Questions http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/faq.page ... aintenance

As long as the tires don't sit in water, grease or oil your ok. Some people claim that the oil in the asphalt is bad for your tires but tires are designed to run on asphalt. Some claim the wood wicks up moisture which is also bad.

Just a thought. How much care do people put into the tires on their car, yet they last just fine. Most age out in 8-10 years anyways. I don't understand why people care more about the tires on their RV then they do on their car. They'll go crazy about the RV tires but ignore the truck tires parked next to it, which is also sitting till next season.

I guess I'm saying do what makes you feel comfortable but don't over think it and drive yourself nuts :lol:
MelissaD

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I learned the hard way - that our tires don't like "just sitting" (which in my case is on my workamping jobs). They'll form a flat spot in some cases - which will then cause a blow out. My tire guy told me to move my rv monthly - even if it's just several inches - so that the tires aren't always having all the weight in once place. On my last rig, my last purchased set of tires were rated for commercial trucks - and for the weight we carry. Most of the tires rver's use are not rated as well - and thus the life of them is not as long as for cars, etc - especially if they just sit. I agree to not overthink it, but I also agree that it doesn't take much to do things to hopefully prevent future problems.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby monik7 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:26 pm

Often RVs are parked on cement as mine is in storage. I don't really know whether the chemicals in cement such as lime and gypsum would harm my tires, but it's so easy to just drive up on the leveling blocks, why take a chance?
Sandi
Bindi (Maltipoo) and Abby (Shih Tzu/Poodle)

"Without the animals men would die of a great loneliness of the spirit." ~ Chief Seattle
“A dog can change the way you see the world.” ~ Anyone who has a dog
monik7

Postby Bethers » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:10 pm

MelissaD wrote:BF Goodrich: Frequently Asked Questions http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/faq.page ... aintenance

And that says "If you have other questions or comments about tires for your Automobile, Van, Pick-up or SUV" - none of which are us.

Goodyear has pages devoted specifically to rv's: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/default.aspx

And on one of those pages:

Ideally, a vehicle in storage should be placed on blocks to remove all weight from the tires. If the vehicle cannot be put on blocks, follow these steps for tire protection:

Completely unload the vehicle so that minimum weight will be placed on the tires
Inflate tires to recommended operating pressure plus 25%. Ensure that the rim manufacturer’s inflation capacity is not exceeded
Be sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well drained and reasonably level
Avoid moving the vehicle during extremely cold weather
Move the vehicle at least every three months to prevent ozone cracking in the tire bulge area, as well as "flat-spotting" from the prolonged strain of sidewall and tread deflection
Adjust inflation before putting the vehicle back into service

Bridgestone also has a page devoted to rv's - and a pdf you can download on tire care, etc: http://www.bridgestonetrucktires.com/us ... /index.asp

Sandi, I totally agree with you.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby Othersharon » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:05 am

Thanks, Ladies, for your input on the tire question. Definately given me food for thought! I think before I take off today for a sightseeing trip, my friend and I will cover Lola and get her ready for her winter rest!! :cry: Sad time of year! But since she is willing to help me I think I will take advantage of it! Thanks again!
Othersharon

Postby MelissaD » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 pm

Bethers wrote:
MelissaD wrote:BF Goodrich: Frequently Asked Questions http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/faq.page ... aintenance

And that says "If you have other questions or comments about tires for your Automobile, Van, Pick-up or SUV" - none of which are us.

A tire is a tire, some have different tread patterns, the number of belts and thickness vary some and some have hard or softer rubber based on traction requirements but all tires are basically the same. It's the same guide line for storing a car or RV, it does not matter. There is nothing magical about RV tires.

Bottom line is it's better to use a tire than letting it sit but for the couple of months some of us have to store our RV's is really minor in the big picture. If I had a Class A,B or C I'd just drive it once a month for an hour and call it done. I'd be more worried about not running the engine etc than the tires not turning or if they are on blocks.

Anyways, safe travels and life's too short to over think things.
There's a joke about not sweating the petty things and not petting the sweaty things :lol:
MelissaD

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues