the roof problem :-( ---finished :-)

the roof problem :-( ---finished :-)

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:45 am

well, no wonder we had lots and lots of water come in during the last two storms...

did a quick research on the dicor vs eternabond, I could use either but thinking about the work involved...
anybody think I need to scrape out the old stuff ?? OR... just fill in the gap with dicor and let it dry, THEN
cover it all with a good strip of eternabond tape. That one edge where the picture shows is a good inch where
the rubber roof has shrunk away from the end cap, exposing the wood. :( and that gap is about 6" long.
Guess first I need to scrub off all the dirt cause we certainly want it to stick. ;)
Last edited by avalen on Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: the roof problem :-(

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:37 am

here's the plan, as I just got down from the roof again...
I took a bucket of dishsoap water and a scrub brush, this envolved hooking up a long rope to the bucket handle and
dragging it up there after I climbed up, scrubbed out all the dirt and now its drying. I will scrape out all the old
stuff as cleaning away the dirt has shown more of the roof that has shrunk away from the end. I will seal with dicor,
after thats dry I will then cover it all with eternabond tape to make sure the edge of the roof is sealed. The dicor
is self leveling and will seek out and work its way down into the gaps. If anyone sees any flaws in this plan, let me
hear it cause I'm always up for re-evaluating a situation.
Of course, in a perfect world I'd just replace the roof but we all know thats expensive and really not in my budget.
Last of course I'll get a gallon or two of the roof coating and do the whole roof. That project is on the list for fall
break.
avalen

Postby chalet05 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 am

Ava, I just spoke with my engineer/handy man.....

He suggests a piece of corrugated fiberglass over the whole thing. Adhere it with Dicor on one side, let dry. Adhere the ends. Adhere the other side. Clean off any Dicor that oozes out. Cover all edges with Eternabond.

I'm typing in a hurry as we are ready to hit the road so hope that makes sense. If not, I'll check back later!
Anita
chalet05

Postby bluepinecones » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:44 am

No advise but wishing you good luck with the fix.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:51 pm

chalet05 wrote:Ava, I just spoke with my engineer/handy man.....

He suggests a piece of corrugated fiberglass over the whole thing. Adhere it with Dicor on one side, let dry. Adhere the ends. Adhere the other side. Clean off any Dicor that oozes out. Cover all edges with Eternabond.

I'm typing in a hurry as we are ready to hit the road so hope that makes sense. If not, I'll check back later!

yes, it makes sense, I understand it. Tell him thank you ;)
avalen

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:57 pm

surprise surprise, Camping World is closed for...they think a good 3 more weeks as they got flooded out in the last storm.
Didn't hear that on the news. I went across the street to Robert Christ RV, got what I needed and talked to their service
guy. My plan is a good one and also what he recommends too. But added that after the step of doing the eternabond tape
he would also do a small bead of the caulking along the edges of the tape. Then of course fall break I'll scrub the whole
roof and do the paint on stuff thats made for the epdm roof. :D
avalen

Postby chalet05 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:29 pm

I forgot about sealing edges of Eternabond! Glad he was on the ball
Anita
chalet05

Postby WickedLady » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:37 pm

Sounds like a plan! Good luck.
WickedLady

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:46 pm

its all scraped out, and ready for the caulking
that gap is only in that one area, the rest is still under the molding strip but I scraped all the way across and will
seal it all the way.
But...I'm about spent up on the roof now cause its hot. Will try and get the caulking done this evening before it
gets dark.
avalen

Postby longdog2 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:05 pm

Good idea to scrape it all out as you did so you could really see what you were dealing with; otherwise, you might have missed getting the dicor everywhere it needed to go. An overlay of Eternabond as you planned should do the trick. Best to do a good check of other seams for leak possibilities once you get that one taken care of. You've got lots of nerve getting up on that roof and you are pretty handy too so I think you have this one handled. Good for you!
Traveling with the Longdogs
Colleen (Willy,Gretchen,Harley)

http://travelinglongdogs.blogspot.com/
2009 299RLS Jayco 5vr
F250 SuperDuty Diesel Truck
longdog2

Postby Bethers » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:51 pm

Great plan. And a resounding yes to sealing the edges of the Eternabond, also.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby MelissaD » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:16 pm

Sounds like a good plan for sealing up the gap but I'd be curious as to what shifted or shrank up to open the seam that much. Did the end cap move?
MelissaD

Postby avalen » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:07 pm

MelissaD wrote:Sounds like a good plan for sealing up the gap but I'd be curious as to what shifted or shrank up to open the seam that much. Did the end cap move?

I don't think it did but the way the edge looks like it was cut makes me wonder if it was never manufactured correctly to
begin with and as it sat out in the hot sun for so long the weather probably made it worse. I remember when I sealed it
years ago it seemed like it was just a little shy of the molding and I thought I had it covered. I still think I did but this dry
desert heat can do alot of damage over time. If I had known last time that a good strip of eternabond would have been a
good idea, I wouldn't be doing this now. You know that old saying....if I knew then what I know now. ;) :D
avalen

Postby Bethers » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:40 am

All seams should be checked annually at the least. Even with what you're doing, make that part of your checklist now for the future.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: the roof problem :-( ---finished :-)

Postby avalen » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:10 pm

all done, and now they predict rain on Tuesday but I say not gonna happen, but if it does... :D
took me forever with the nail polish remover to get the gooey stuff off my fingers.
avalen

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues