Newly Found iPad App

Newly Found iPad App

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:29 am

I just now happened across this new app - The Ultimate Campground Project. Here is an excerpt from their "about" section:
I bought it, at $3.99, and I have just poked around a little bit, but so far, so good.

------–----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Ultimate Public Campgrounds app is dedicated to presenting information about publicly-owned, non-commercial campgrounds across the Lower 48 United States. In this app you will find over 20,000 facilities, ranging from full-service campgrounds at state parks and Corps of Engineers parks to remote boondocking and back-packing locations with no facilities or services. It is based on data from the web-based Ultimate US Public Campground Project. Included are US Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, Fish & Wildlife Service, Bureau of Reclamation, Corps of Engineers, state parks and other state facilities, county and regional parks, municipal parks, utility company facilities, Indian reservations, military, Tennessee Valley Authority, non-profit (museums and conservation groups) and a handful of miscellaneous locations.

This app is intended for everyone regardless of their camping interests - it can be filtered by the facility owner, such as Forest Service or county.

Tapping on a campground location on the map shows available information about each location such as total number of camp sites, number of RV sites, number of electric hookups, whether there are showers and/or an RV dump station, fees, nearest town, phone number, elevation and web site. Of course the app can only show what information that can be discovered for each location.

Note that this app does NOT contain information on commercial campgrounds. Also note that military campgrounds are included because they are government-owned, but in most cases their use is limited to active-duty and retired military personnel.

Also note that the locations depicted are, as much as possible, the actual location of the campground itself, not the park office or entrance gate. That is done so we can show the multiple campgrounds that many parks have.

Ultimate Campgrounds cannot be responsible for routing issues; users should always verify that the presented route is appropriate.

We urge users to verify that a campground is open and is appropriate for their vehicle. Campgrounds are sometimes closed unexpectedly due to floods, fires, tree diseases, etc.

In an effort to continually improve the accuracy of the data, users are encouraged to use the feedback function to submit corrections, additions and suggestions.
mitch5252

Re: Newly Found iPad App

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:37 am

A little bit more looking around found all the same (I think) information for free. Glad it was only $3.99!
The app seems to be a little "prettier" and in a better format.

http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com
mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:46 pm

Looks interesting. I am downloading his free military campgrounds version to see for my iPhone. If I find it useful I may checkout the other one.
You have been quiet Mitch, so what have you been up to?
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:17 pm

I've been on the road, with limited internet. Back home in a week.

I'll be anxious to hear how u,like the app.
mitch5252

Postby BarbaraRose » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Mitch, did you go on that trip up around the Great Lakes? How do you like your new TT?
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby MandysMom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:04 am

Mitch, I did some looking but it will be using it on a trip to tell really whether it has anything that AllStays does not have, which I already upgraded in past. I will let you know when we finally get to travel again.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:03 am

I love AllStays, too. I like this new app because you can filter out things you don't necessarily need to see.

And do I remember correctly that AllStays will no longer be updated? I know that's true for Streets & Trips, sadly. Seems the good ones always go away - husbands, friends, great apps... :mrgreen:

Barbie, I made the decision to go northwest for next Spring's big trip. It's really where my "heart" is. Although, someday I'd like to go north and then through eastern Canada.

All of this assumes, of course, that I don't put a shotgun blast through the side of this new trailer... :twisted:
mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:34 pm

I had not heard that about Allstays so guess I better check on that.
So you mad at the trailer (?shotgun) Mitch?
Velda
MandysMom

Postby snowball » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Shot gun shells might ricochet so be careful if you use that as a stress reliever
sheila
snowball

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues