Possible Streets & Trips Substitute - Garmin Base Camp

Possible Streets & Trips Substitute - Garmin Base Camp

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:44 pm

I think there may be several of us who are very fond of Microsoft Streets & Trips as a tool in trip planning, especially when there is no internet available. I was really, really sad to learn that the program will be discontinued and that the 2013 version is the last version that will be supported. When I heard this several months ago, I started a quest to find a replacement OFFLINE mapping program, frustratingly, with no success.

Well, this morning, I believe I have come across something that may fit the bill in many ways, although it's not as User Friendly and "attractive" as S&T.

It's Garmin's replacement for its former MapSource software (which I never could warm up to) - Garmin Base Camp (free download from garmin.com). I've been playing with it most of the morning (while trying to remember how to download POIs from the POI Factory - BC Campgrounds...as they say, use it or lose it!).

Anyway, I think once I play with it more, I could like it. I am hoping that these POI files from the Factory can be utilized for Campgrounds along a given route (or any of the POI files, actually). As it looks now, there is an extensive campground database already included (I don't know yet where the program is getting its data). I will need to research how up-to-date the data is.

So, I thought some of you might also be looking for a S&T replacement. Gotta have a Garmin, though. I haven't looked yet to see if other GPS brands are able to use the program.

And that is the extent of my knowledge for this rainy Sunday afternoon.
mitch5252

Re: Possible Streets & Trips Substitute - Garmin Base Camp

Postby MandysMom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Just when I thought I would give MS S&T a try, I had heard it is going away too. Glad to hear your review of a possible option. I have Allstays and Copilot on my phone and iPad but not fond of either. I will also be watching to see what Geeks on Tour suggest as they have long been S and T fans and instructors. I will be watching for updates as you play with the new software. We don't have a Garmin, we have a old Magellan but will likely upgrade before a trip unless we decide to use our phones. Thanks for you review.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby mitch5252 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I loaded some public land POIs from POI Factory (free) and then loaded them to my Garmin. They import in to Garmin Base Camp and show you the GPS coordinates, which you then load back to your GPS as your destination. Pretty cool. What I haven't figured out yet is how "big" the search area is when you right click on a point (because I downloaded a ton of public campgrounds in the NW and these are the ones that showed up with my right click). I don't know if that search area is adjustable.

mitch5252

Postby MandysMom » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Looks very interesting so far. Thanks Mitch. Planning future trips helps me "get away" vicariously for now and for future hoped for trips.
Velda
MandysMom

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:50 am

Will have Ernie check it out....thanks, Mitch.. ;)
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby mitch5252 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:40 pm

I am starting to really really like the Garmin MapSource replacement (BaseCamp). I think I could eventually like it as well as, if not better, than S&T.

The pic below shows YELLOW=My House PURPLE=the location of a custom POI (Hawn State Park, MO)(the list on the right is a bunch of public campgrounds that I got from POI-factor dot com), and GREEN=the number of search results shown on the map. The more you click it, the more results show up (1st click = 50, 2nd click = 100, etc.). It's really pretty cool. There are tons of POIs "built-in" (without having to find and download custom POIs), in many different categories, including private campgrounds.

I am still exploring the program's options. But so far, so good!! (I plan to see if this program will work with other brands of GPS, but I'm thinking not?)

Not ALL Garmin GPS units have the ability to download custom POIs (CSV files), but I believe all the built-in POIs are available to any Garmin GPS. I want to try it on my Geocache Garmin, but it's in the trailer and the trailer is STILL in the shop! That is so sad. (The brand new replacement fridge is also not functioning, just like the old one. Obviously, an Atwood design flaw.)
mitch5252

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues