Portable waste holding tanks

Portable waste holding tanks

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:11 pm

What kind of waste water tanks do you have for portability when no sewer hook-up is available? I've been reading a great deal about them and Thetford seems to have a nice one...sewer hose is internal and makes the job less messy, wheel swivels on all terrains, but reviews weren't too good for what remains after you've dumped it, and the location of the drain itself. Another brand is Barker, but the thing comes with lots of pieces and is a bit more expensive. It doesn't drain exactly all the way either...

Since I will be mostly be doing the job by myself, I want something no bigger than 15-18 gallons with a handle for my trailer hitch and easy maneuverability.

HELP!! I'd like to make this purchase soon.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Re: Portable waste holding tanks

Postby Bethers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:27 pm

I think Lori (with Ernie's help) will be a good one to answer this.

That said, I have a friend who will not use those for the black tank- but unhooks and goes to a dump station. Thing is, according to him, you heard right- you'll never get it completely clean. So, again according to him, if you're going to use one for black tank wastes, make sure you always keep it sealed really good - because it will never completely empty and will smell. He tossed his when he used it for that awhile and now unhooks and goes to dump stations, but keeps one for the grey tank.

I believe Ernie used one at the park they workamped at - for the black tank - so maybe he'll have some more/better info on what he did to keep it from getting smelly to travel with.

Being very careful, I can boondock for a week without worrying about my tanks. And I make sure I get somewhere in that length of time where I can dump.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:43 pm

Here's the one I like.... it stands upright on the wheels with the drain being just
where it should be.
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-t ... /25608.htm
I'm hooked up all the time but I keep my black tank closed, I usually don't have
to empty it for two weeks.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby retiredhappy » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:40 pm

I like that one that stand upright. Also looks like there is a hose connection at the top so you could rinse it out after dumping. I don't have anywhere to store one and wouldn't want to put it in the car as I'm sure there is going to be some smell.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Sunseeker » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:49 pm

We're not exactly sure, but BF thinks it will be low enough profile to store on the luggage rack atop the MH. We would only need it for State parks...not that often. Yes, that one looks nice..thanks for the link, Avalen.
Sunseeker Jill
also Tommy and furkids Sami and Molly
Image,Image
Sunseeker

Postby avalen » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:59 pm

others have said they do indeed bungie them to the top luggage rack.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues