propane regulater

propane regulater

Postby avalen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:45 pm

NUTS!!!
my propane regulater took a dump today, thats gonna cost me big time.
When I went to work today, I got a slight odor of propane but thought it was just
the furnace kicking on as I went out the door. I didn't think anything of it until I
got home and the patio just wreeked of propane and I could hear it hissing. Turned
the valve off on the tank, opened the door to the propane cabinet and sure enough,
it was coming out the regulater. Called my propane company to ask them about
fixing it, well, its $87 for the regulater, $95 for labor, $5 for the trip, and tax.
I just spent 88 to fill the tank about a week ago, and it leaked almost all of it. The
bottom of the tank is all frosted on the outside so I can see the level of the propane.
I am not a happy camper right now, but shit happens so I guess I'm gonna have to
have them come out and put on a new regulater. I am handy enough to do it myself,
but I just don't have the strength to tighten a gas connection, not to mention undoing it.
When I got the front door open to let the dogs out, the house smelled of propane too.
I had to open an upstair window and turn on the fantastic fan to suck out all the bad
air. I'm so glad I have my electric radiator to keep me warm tonight. Anybody know
how often these things go out? :evil: :evil: :evil:
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Re: propane regulater

Postby Cedar518 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Ava,.... the MOST important thing is that you and your pets are safe. That could have been tragic.
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:29 pm

So so sorry about the expense - but yep, you're very lucky that nothing happened with that leaking propane -
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:10 pm

yep, pretty scarry when it could have happened at night and I would have been asleep
and never known. Just goes to show how NOT airtight these things are, the propane
cabinet is under my bedroom. :o
I will talk to my mentors Micky and Ginny tomorrow at work and get some added
advice, I can hear them now.........."oh, you can do that yourself"
avalen

Postby Marslet » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:33 pm

Avalen,
First glad you and the dogs are ok. Now, Are you sure they correctly reinstalled your propane regulator when they filled it last week? Have never had one go bad, could it have been cross threaded and the pressure from the propane pushed it out enough so that it leaked? Just thought I would bring that up since it is so close in time to when they put the propane in.

Marslet

Marslet

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:26 am

Marslet, excellent point. Paulette, so glad you and your fur babies are okay. As the others have said, it could have been worse.
Thank God it wasn't. Sure hope its as easy a fix as what Marslet said, and if so, I'd be talking with the people that filled and possibly cross threaded and ask for some sort of reimbursement for the loss of fuel. Good Luck.
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:52 am

So glad you & the furkids are okay. Propane makes me nervous, & I would totally freak out if that happened. :shock: I never use the stove top in my RV b/c I don't think an open flame inside this little box is a good idea. :lol: Seriously, messing with the propane is not something I'm comfortable with.

Marslet brought up a good point. Since you did have it filled recently, makes me wonder if that could have something to do with it. Sorry for all you are going thru financially to get it fixed, but it could have been sooo much worse. Hope you can get it taken care of soon.
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby retiredhappy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:30 am

First, glad you and your firkids are okay. Do you have an RV repair person you use? Ask him if he can fix it and how much. Might be cheaper than the propane company.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Paulette » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Ava, I have to tell you that when I first read your post I was so afraid that you were going to say that when you opened the door your fur babies were harmed! :( I am soooo glad that they were okay! I trust you will get this taken care of in no time at all. And I agree, I'd have someone check tomake sure that when they reattached the regulator that they did it correctly!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby Nasoosie » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:33 pm

Ava----so happy you and fur babies are OK! Like Paulette, I was afraid to read what you found when you opened the front door. Thank heavens you all were ok.

And, I would have to agree that the company that filled your tank may have messed up your regulator, or, as has been suggested, cross-threaded it.

Keep us posted!
Life is about learning to dance in the rain
Happy travels!
ImageImage
Nasoosie

Postby avalen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:41 pm

well I was absolutely right, when I got to work to day and spoke with my friends
Micky and Ginny, they said "you can do that yourself"
anyway, as I left I took my camera with me and took a picture so I could show them.
Micky said they do occassionally go out, and had just replaced theirs last year.
Anyway, the tank is 10' away from the regulater and when they refil the tank they
unhook the hose at the tank not at the regulater, so I'm confident they are not at
fault. They always spray it down to look for leaks and I watched the guy do it, he
also sprayed the regulater at that point too.
Micky and Ginny said to check camping world so I got on the computer and work,
(its such a fast computer :D ) and the dual regulater was only $59, AND Micky and
Ginny are coming over saturday to swap it out and he will show me how its done so
if I ever have to do it again or do it for someone else its a piece of cake. NO SWEAT.
I did swing by CW on the way home, picked up the regulater and of course a few
other things, who can help it, you go in there for ONE thing and come out with six.
But they were things I needed and Walmart stopped carrying those items. The funny
part is ........... they had so many cool things in there that I really had a hard time
remembering what I went in there for!!! I kept having to stop and THINK! You all
would have laughed at me to see me do that.
Micky and Ginny are my best friends at work, my mentors, a married couple that
works together and live the life we all want to RIGHT NOW! They live in their 5th
and travel the country in the summer. However they are retireing March 19 and I
will truley miss them at work but they will still be around here, at least until summer
when they go back to Maine and other places.
Oh gosh, I've really rambled on, but I just wanted to update you all.
avalen

Postby Bethers » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:47 pm

Ava,
I'm so glad you talked to your friends and are able to do this for the cost of the regulator. Good for you. And, yes, I'm sure you'll miss them at work - but I hope that they'll still be there winters but whatever, just like on this forum - we're not more than a keyboard or phone call away from the people we need and love.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby avalen » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:04 pm

update.................
I did not wait till saturday, I had some time off today so I tackled the job myself
while the afternoon was warm and sunny. It was easy, although wrenching the
fittings was the hard part cause I'm not as strong as I used to be. I tested all the
connections with soapy water to make sure there were no leaks and WALA, I have
heat again. :D
I still have a little bit of propane in the bottom of the tank, so I'll go fill one of my
small tanks tomorrow just to make sure I don't run out until next payday rolls around.
I feel good ;)
avalen

Postby Cedar518 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Ava.... you ROCK!
Cedar518

Postby Bethers » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:58 pm

Wooooohooooooooooooo, you go!
Beth
Bethers

Next

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues