Roof leaking. Do I go home?

Roof leaking. Do I go home?

Postby Olive6001 » Sat May 24, 2014 1:34 pm

This is a leak I thought was fixed. So not a new leak. If I go home my guy there will try again for free. If I go to a shop in Albuquerque I pay. I'm three days hard driving from home. Some of you know that the roof leaking has been an ongoing problem. I don't want to go home but worried about cost of repairs and damage to rig. LOL. I've invested thousands in water damage repair. Any thoughts? I can't seem to make a decision. Have been in heavy rain for three nights and it just started raining again. I'm typing on my phone. Got mifi and charging it now
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Re: Roof leaking. Do I go home?

Postby Irmi » Sat May 24, 2014 2:24 pm

Oh my, I am at a loss! Will the original repairman compensate you if you have the roof repaired locally? If not, could you cover your personal belongings, wherever the leak is or move them until you get home? It seems such a shame to pay someone else to do the job, but will the original repairman, who says he will "try" to fix it, really fix it? I feel so badly for you! Please report back and let us know your decision.
Irmi

Postby cnq50b » Sat May 24, 2014 3:43 pm

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you. What a bummer!
I carry a tarp with me although I'm not sure I'd be able to get it in place if I ever really needed it.
Is there anyway you can put something in place to help slow whatever amount of wetness getting in? A towel or blanket? even if you have to wring them out occassionally? Can you take a pic of where the leak is from inside & maybe one of the others will have some ideas.
I'll be praying for the rain to let up.
Keep us informed & take care,
Catherine
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby BirdbyBird » Sat May 24, 2014 4:53 pm

Sort of following up on Catherine's comments. By this time and from experience, do you at east have an idea of where the water is coming in from...for example around a particular seam or window? I know that money is always a factor but if the other guy has not managed to fix it after several attempts I might be tempted to at least get an estimate of what it would cost. You would then have a better idea if the cost is doable at this time or not. Trips can not always be done over.....time is precious.
Tina and the furry companions...Lark, Audrey and Jane
BirdbyBird

Postby Olive6001 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Wow what a difference a few hours make. Short version: going to get propane, see RV dealer, pull in, tell sad story, they look, say no problem, take off roof seam cap, follow water that's pooled, fix leak. A few hours ago I was praying for dry weather. Now I want it to rain like a . . . :lol: I'll keep you posted. Oh yeah, less than an hour's labor so not pricey. Would cost lots more to go home. Yay!
Nikki and Olive
2005 B Touring Cruiser
Olive6001

Postby VickieP » Sat May 24, 2014 5:19 pm

YAY! Hopefully it's all fixed and you can be on your way with no worries!
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby Deeann » Sat May 24, 2014 5:48 pm

I was going to say that it would be cheaper to get it fixed locally than to buy the gas to get home. Plus, if it still leaks after a local repair, you can take it back to the local shop. But I see that you got it fixed. Good deal.
Deeann

Postby mitch5252 » Sat May 24, 2014 6:23 pm

Yay, Nikki!! I'm really glad it worked out for you and Olive.
mitch5252

Postby retiredhappy » Sat May 24, 2014 6:33 pm

Just goes to show that sometimes its better to get someone different to "fix" a problem. Looks like you managed to get right in the middle of the storms.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby cnq50b » Sat May 24, 2014 7:51 pm

Just goes to show God answers our prayers even if I was asking for the wrong thing. So happy for you! :D :D :D :D :D :D
Catherine & Sadie
California

cnq50b

Postby Bethers » Sun May 25, 2014 1:37 am

Nikki,
It sounds like you found a good place to stop. Great news. And hopefully, leak is fixed. Good deal.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby bluepinecones » Sun May 25, 2014 7:15 am

Really hope you get to relax and enjoy the rest of your trip - dry and cozy.
The only major handicap in life is a bad attitude!
bluepinecones

Postby SoCalGalcas » Wed May 28, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Nikki, that was good news! Hope that problem is now solved for good? Where are you heading from Abq? Lyn

Limits exist only in the souls of those who do not dream./Desktop/IMG_0228.jpg
SoCalGalcas

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues