What to wash it with

Re: What to wash it with

Postby rvgrammy1953 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:09 am

Depends on how dirty it is.... :lol: If lots of black marks & bugs, it's Clorox Outdoors, deluted, but gets them off... ;) dish soap and Zip wax if it isn't too bad....but everyone has their special combo on what works..... :D
ImageImage
Lori, Ernie & Spinner
2012 Open Range Roamer 5er
2008 Toyota Tundra
http://grammyandpapaswildadventure.blogspot.com
rvgrammy1953

Postby Cedar518 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:10 am

Dawn dish liquid. cuts the grease and grime.
Cedar518

Postby avalen » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 am

Dawn dish liquid here too, and at work we use Dawn dish liquid (commerical grade)
to wash our buses too.
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Postby dpf » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:17 pm

Last Spring I washed our old '87 TT with Blue Coral Car and RV Wash and Wax...bought it at Wally World. The results were amazing. The finish had developed kind of a hazy milk appearance and it took it right off. I used a soft brush with a long handle...washed it in sections and then hosed off each section as I finished.
My mind works like lightning...one brilliant flash and it's gone.
dpf

Postby Liz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:11 pm

I use the Blue Coral Wash & Wax too, but twice a year I apply a good marine quality wax that helps prevent sun oxidation problems.
Liz
https://wheresliz2018.blogspot.com
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby dcricket » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:31 am

Ya know I recently washed my rig too and it left a milky sheen to it. I thought it was because I used Dawn to get the grunge off and it took off the coating I had put on it when I bought it, but obviously if you all use it safely, it's most likely due to the weathering from sitting exposed to the CA elements (sun). Will have to try your recommendations. Thought about having someone from Dura-Shine come out and redetail it with the coating, but wallet is saying -- nope... :cry:
Live, Laugh, Love, Aloha
Donna & Willie
2020 Forrest River Rockwood Mini 2104S Travel Trailer
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ 1LZ
dcricket

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Thank you Bumpjumper for reminding me it was time to wash and wax the RV.

I washed with Coral Blue wash&wax, but because it was so bad, and I knew I was going to put on a nice coat of marine grade wax (used on fiberglass boats), I threw in a little bleach with the wash water.

Yep, coming off nicely…can you tell where I washed?

As I was washing, and then waxing, you know what I was thinking, mountaingal? I was thinking this motorhome is plenty big and wide and as much rv as I care to wash! Maybe I don’t really want a bigger one. And after it was all done it looks new again…think I’ll keep it.

Liz
"Life in the presence of God...is a life to be enjoyed every moment of every day." A. W. Tozer
Liz

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:06 pm

Liz, do you suppose you got all that gunky mildew stuff on the roof of your camper while camping with me under those pine trees at Macomb SP over Labor Day? Wanna have a do-over this year? That was such a good weekend.
Cedar518

Postby NakedPupsAndMe » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Where can I get the marine wax?
NakedPupsAndMe

Postby Liz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:41 am

Naw, Cedar....it's just an accumulation 'cause I've been neglecting the poor baby. Usually do a good waxing twice a year, but it's been at least a year. You can get the wax at Walmart. This particular brand was "3M Fiberglass Restorer and Wax" for heavily oxidized marine surfaces. It works well, but other similar brands do just as well.

Cedar...I sure hope we can get together again...don't know when I'll get to NE...depends upon Alaska. :lol:
Liz
Liz

Postby mtngal » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:56 am

Liz, the perk of cleaning a smaller rig DID cross my mind, especially when I remembered about cleaning the outside AND INSIDE of my horse trailer! YOUR
rig looks absolutely fabulous and brand new!
Diana
mtngal

Postby Bethers » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:06 am

When I'm on the road and my rig gets dirty- I drive through a Blue Beacon truck wash - for getting the grime off - do NOT use the wax - as you don't want it on the rubber roof. But they do it by hand, so maybe one day I'll ask them if they would not put it on the roof. At least once a year I pay someone to wash and waxy my rv as they include maintaining the roof and checking my seals on windows, etc - at least the ones I've had do it so far. Will do it again in the spring before I head out - ah, best be saving my pennies - but yep, this takes more work than the B vans.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby sunshinecruiserTN » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:51 am

Liz, your B look so good. I like the way you gave us pix in stages. That "stuff" really works well. Gosh, I can just see me doing Somewhere. Last time I had her done, I paid. When I retire I will have to do it myself, $$ you know will be less. Great Job!! :P
Live, Laugh, Love
TN/FL
sunshinecruiserTN

Postby Paulette » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 pm

I can not even imagine trying to wash, let alone wax, my RV! I'm gonna be doing the Blue Beacon, as there is one just a little north of where I live.

But Liz, Imust say you did an excellent job on yours...it looks gooder than new!
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues