RV Internet

RV Internet

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:34 pm

Here's a wonderful explanation of a way to have your own wifi in your rv - using your cell phone or air card.

WiFi in Motion

I'll definitely be looking more into this - price is so much less than the satellite I've looked at in the past. But I don't need it while I'm sitting still this winter. Maybe prices will go down before next summer - hopefully they won't go up.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Re: RV Internet

Postby retiredhappy » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:07 pm

Beth, if I understand correctly the ONLY difference between this and an aircard is that you can run more than one computer on the "Wifi" system? So for me, with only one computer, there would be no advantage. Right?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Postby Bethers » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:20 pm

Well, I only use one computer, also - but am still going to keep my eye on this - as the signal will actually be boosted - so the aircard or cell phone service will reach into a few more areas (up to 60 miles further) - If that would work in some areas - it would make some rv parks where I haven't been able to get cell service - get wifi LOL - like possibly the place I workamped in the White Mountains in NH a few summers ago - I had to use dial up from their office - how great would it have been to have (even though still slow) a connection from my rv!

But, yes, if the card has been working good for you, you probably wouldn't want to do this.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby retiredhappy » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

Beth, I have Verizon and my aircard has a hole to plug an antenna into so I can boost my signal. I do have an antenna but haven't bought the adapter yet to plug it into my aircard. You can get antennas at Wilson antenna.
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues