Electrical Gremlins

Electrical Gremlins

Postby Paulette » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:04 pm

I guess I told you all that I had been experiencing electrical gremlins in my motorhome after my trip to FL and back this summer. Well, I have taken the MH to Freightliner twice. (That in itself is a true adventure! Driving around Baltimore on the beltway because you can't go through the tunnel in an RV.) I picked it up again on Monday and they are now telling me that it isn't a freightliner problem, that the problem belongs to the body manufacturer! OK. So, I drive the thing home, get it parked in the driveway and go to level it out...Auto leveler isn't working. Use the potty, hit the switch for the water pump so I can flush, water pump doesn't come on. Hit the light switch, no lights in bathroom. Hit the light switches in the bedroom and hall...no lights at all! ARRRGGGGGGHHHHHH. So, I called the dealer that I bought the RV from and am to take it to them first of next week. Of course, I was going to winterize it this weekend, but thinking about it now, how am I going to winterize it if I don't have a working water pump???? :roll: I did tell the dealer that I am not a happy person right now. I did not spend this kind of money on a top end RV to be having this kind of aggrivation and these kinds of problems. And it worries me too, because a lot of electrical fires are caused by these sorts of gremlins.

So, it is another lesson learned. Doesn't matter how much you spend and how quality you think it is.

We'll see how the dealer handles the problems. And if he can get the gremlins to move out.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Re: Electrical Gremlins

Postby Bethers » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:44 pm

Oh, Paulette, I'm so sorry for your problems. Reminds me of when my brother was having a house built - and all the problems that happened - and, like your motorhome, this was top of the line contruction - a home that would never be in my budget. He was fighting everyone and they even took one person to small claims court. I then asked him if he'd ever build again and he said no - but he did several years later without the same problems - but he was in and out of the house daily with the builder the second time. I'm sure they hated him.

That made me decide to buy gently worn houses, cars, and motorhomes - and hopefully if there were problems the first owner took care of them. Of course, I could always buy the lemon - but if so, the previous owner would be in trouble, cuz I ask about everything under the sun LOL

I'm praying for you that you get the gremlins out - and that they STAY OUT (yep, I'm yelling at your gremlins).
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby asirimarco » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:45 pm

Just wondering do you have a master switch that turns off your house batteries? Did this get switched off accidently? Have you checked your fuses, breakers and GFC switches. I imagine you probably have -so don't get upset - just running things through our head. I got upset yesterday cause I couldn't get the slides to go out - dah - the house batteries switch was off - must have bumped it. Sure hope they can help you - its scarey not knowing what might be wrong with the electricity. Keep us up to date.
asirimarco

Postby Getupngo » Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:12 pm

I agree with Beth ... I'd rather let someone else go through the working out of bugs in motor homes. That said, I could never afford a new, high-end unit. But it has to be beyond aggravating to run into so many problems.

Having said that, a large number of problems (especially electrical) often lead to the same source. Good luck and I hope they find your electrical squiggle and straighten it out.
Janice traveling solo in a 2008 Four Winds Windsport
Navigator: Annie the miniature poodle
2011 Honda CRV toad

Getupngo

Postby Paulette » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:45 pm

Carol, I did check this morning and the 12v switch was off. :oops: my bad. But, that shouldn't interfere with the Auto Leveler working. Seems that the gremlins have moved across the dash...from left to right. And, the turn signal indicator light still stays on when the lights are on. It doesn't "blink", even when the right turn signal is turned on.

Well, I hope the dealer can get this straightened out cause I just don't have the energy to deal with this kinds of stuff. And now I guess I'll be able to winterize the water lines this weekend (weather permitting), so that's a good thing.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby asirimarco » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Sure hope they can get everything figured out for you. Know how upsetting that can be. We are still having problems with our refrig. So will take it to the dealer here in Vegas to see if he can get it fixed. Works fine when plugged in but is iffy when traveling. At least it has been cold enough it didn't make any difference. Also need an oil and transmission change and new filter(s) ugh - seems like pouring money down the toilet but not getting to watch the whirlpool.
Good luck will keep my fingers crossed for you.
asirimarco

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues