Which GPS?

Re: Which GPS?

Postby Forestgal » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Karen, which app do you use on your Droid? Or is it the software that came with it? I've got a Droid X and would like to try it out, just because. I've got a GPS in both cars but they're both older. If the Droid will do the same thing but more currently I'll give it whirl.

Thanks!

Laura
Forestgal

Postby sharon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:41 pm

One of the guys over on ORS uses the navi on his Droid all the time....haven't tried mine out yet, either. He swears by it.
Figures, I just bought a new Garmin last August.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass all four essential food groups: alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

- Alex Levine

<><>
sharon

Postby BarbaraRose » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:39 pm

OK, I just ordered a Magellan Roadmate 1440 from Walmart. It got 4.5 stars out of 5 from 39 reviews, so that is good! It sounds like it is pretty user-friendly without too many bells and whistles that I would never use anyways. Only costs $64, so affordable, and I can get a map update for it as soon as I get it. Should be much better than my handwritten maps and instructions I have been using!
Barbie, Romeow, and Sophie, missing Lola! (and lots of ferrets running around in my heart!)

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"
-Anatole France
BarbaraRose

Postby Birdie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:00 pm

I have friends, a couple, in las Cruces that have smart phones with GPS and she swears by it. She drove to and back Savannah, GA last year. then flew to Tri-Cities and drove to Savannah and then to Cruces. Said it was no problem at all finding roads, restaurants and motels using it.

So Karen, you might take a look at a Droid and see if that with the phone would work for you :D . Yes, I am being a smart Patootie! Probably would be nice but you already switched out and turned off your phone and you don't need 3 hanging around. The dogs would think you had gotten one for each of them.
2012 Class A Winnebago 30T (is for sale)
Coach House Platnium (my now rig)
Chevy HHR
Birdie

Location: After 10 years full-time, I am off the road in North FL!

Postby Bethers » Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:32 am

sharon wrote:One of the guys over on ORS uses the navi on his Droid all the time....haven't tried mine out yet, either. He swears by it.
Figures, I just bought a new Garmin last August.

Pete really knows how to use it also. He speaks into his Droid - says where he wants to go - it shows and tells him how to get there. Great function - makes me think I might go back to a smartphone one day. Loved how well that works for him.
Beth
“Dare to live the life you have dreamed for yourself. Go forward and make your dreams come true.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~
"He who treasures the small things in life has found the path to true happiness"
Bethers

Postby OregonLuvr » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Laura, I use the Navigation that came with the DroidX. I just push the navigation and choose the SPEAK function and tell it to "Navigate to xxx" and it does LOL It needs to be really easy for me and this doesnt get much easier. I plugged in a destination in my Garmin AND my Droid just to check and the Droid got me there on the better route I thought.

k
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Forestgal » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 pm

Thanks, Karen. I actually played with it a bit yesterday. It was pretty impressive! I might have to get one of the suction mounts for my Explorer & give it try when I go camping in a couple of weeks. For as big and heavy as that Droid is, I kinda like it! :)
Forestgal

Postby dayspring39 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 pm

My first GPS was a Michelin not the tire the gps! Now I have a TomTom it got me to Fl from Il but must confess I use a map also... like to see it... mine has a nice sized screen that helps and I can change the voices have a male voice on now as after a while the female voice irritated me! For a while I had the thing bong when going past a school or church then forgot how to shut the thing off figured it out on my way to FL!!!
I truly think most are good but you need to spend some time messing with them... make sure they do short distances then you know they can do long distances... most have very good features like gas stations, restaurants etc...
Last year Liz asked me if I was using my GPS... sheepishly I said it is not charged up... ha ha ha she said plug it in!!! I guess I thought it would work on the seat beside me...
Kathleen
Kathleen or Kathy

Use today wisely it's all you have; yesterday is a memory; tomorrow a dream... KLW[/b][/color]
dayspring39

Postby AlmostThere » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:18 pm

So when you speak into your phone, do you use addresses or city or what. Does it give audio directions or just the map? I can use the speak function on my Google app on my iPhone but it will only bring up a map. Perhaps I need to look at it more closely. ;)
AlmostThere

Postby OregonLuvr » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:49 pm

Lenora, I can speak an address or a city or a location. The screen that comes up is just like my Garmin with the map and then the directions at the top with an arrow of which way to turn and street name telling me where to turn. It speaks just like the Garmin. Turn left at XX street, also shows on the map.

I thought the DroidX was a big phone too but I love it now and it doesnt seem so big. I am soooooo sold on this phone.

K
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Postby Forestgal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

They are a bit addicting, aren't they? I was just at an RV repair shop picking up a few things & got to talking about geocaching with one of the guys in the shop. Whipped out my Droid X, fired up the app for geocaching, and showed him that there was a cache a mere 386 feet from where we were standing! (I think it was at the Starbucks across the street.)
:)

There are a ton of things you can do with it. I've got a bubble level installed & actually use that when I'm getting my trailer set up. Works like a charm! And the flashlight app has come in handy on more than one occasion, too.

It's fun to see what kinds of things are created for these smartphones. We were talking in class today about the internet & the kids were agog to learn that as recently ago as the late 80s/early 90s the internet wasn't really in use. And here we are, living in a world that would seem so very limited without it. Times sure do change!

Laura
Forestgal

Postby AlmostThere » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:18 pm

I don't think the app with Google does anything but show the map and a blue dot moves as you drive to show your location on the map.

Laura, I have the level and flashlight app, also a compass (not sure if I will ever use a compass, but it was free and I wanted to try it. ) :D
AlmostThere

Postby OutandAbout » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm

All this talking to the Droid got me thinking what happens if it doesn't understand you. Think Ozzy Osbourne. Droid: Say again? Do you mean ??? If you mean ??? please rephrase, etc., etc. He had an episode on his show about his getting a new car and his ability or non-ability to communicate with it. In true Ozzy fashion, he ended up telling the computer to FO. It was quite amusing. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby OregonLuvr » Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:52 pm

HA HA I think I "may" have said a word or two to my Garmin a few times myself. So far the Droid has understood me LOL

karen
Karen

Emma Tibetan Spaniel
OregonLuvr

Previous

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues