Propane Bottles

Propane Bottles

Postby VickieP » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:57 am

I heard or read years ago not to put your propane bottles on their sides, to always keep them in an upright position and fearing some type of explosion :shock: I always tried to do this. When on the rv of course they are upright, but when transporting them to be filled in the bed of the truck I have tried putting them in different things to keep them secure from those plastic milk crates to whatever, now I just bungee it to the corner, but it's really awkward to do and wondered how others accomplished this. And is there any truth to the "keep upright" thing, what about when I'm taking them out of the truck bed, they're heavy and with their height and the height of the tailgate it's very difficult to do that and keep them straight, so if I lay them on their side to roll them out am I going to end up a crispy critter?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Re: Propane Bottles

Postby JanetA » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:25 am

Vickie....

I never heard that about keeping pp bottles upright ONLY,,, and we used to run a camper manufacturer. I will say we had the type of propane containers that were cylindrical and were fashioned lengthwise ,, not upright as the ones you are talking about. I would think , since they come in several configurations,,,but,, hey,, check w/ a propane dealer to be sure. I THINK I woulda heard that warning, tho.

luck to ya
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:28 am

Yup, sounds like upright is good.
I never knew that!
Thank you for saving my life and/or the lives of others around me.

http://www.griffinspropane.com/?page_id=4

http://www.superiorpropane.com/external/bins/content_page.asp?cid=3-101-156

mitch5252

Postby JanetA » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:31 am

Thanks, Mitch!

learning every day! ;)
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby VickieP » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:39 am

But will it mess up something inside if I have to lay it down to get it out easier?
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby JanetA » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:09 pm

call a dealer and ask them, darrrrrrrrlinnnnnnnnnnn! ! ! ;)
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby Paulette » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 pm

I agree...call someone. But, I think if it is empty that it isn't as big a deal as if it is full because they build up pressure.
"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson
Paulette

Postby OutandAbout » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:03 pm

I did not know this, My propane bottles are kept on their side mounted in the TC. Maybe they are a different kind? They are probably mounted sideways because of lack any kind of outside storage space (no trailer tongue or equivalent space) and are allowed a small cubbyhole? Most TC's would have this set up I suppose. Now I need to know the the reason. Linda
OutandAbout

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:25 am

All propane cylinders are not alike
CAUTION: USE PROPANE CYLINDERS AND TANKS IN PROPER POSITION

There are two basic types of portable propane cylinders – the vertical (upright) standard cylinder and the horizontal cylinder that comes with a special mounting bracket and which can be installed either vertically or horizontally. Both cylinders are manufactured in accordance with U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) specifications.

When you purchase a new cylinder, be sure it fits the bracket you have. And if you use a cylinder exchange service, be sure the cylinder you receive is the same type as you turned in. Vertical cylinders are NOT designed for service while lying on their sides.

Propane appliances for cooking, heating, lighting, water heating and refrigeration are designed to operate on gas vapor only. Therefore cylinders and tanks designed for vapor service must be transported, installed and used in the proper position. Do not transport, install or use a vertical cylinder in a horizontal or upside down position. Proper care must be taken to position a horizontal container in the correct position for vapor withdrawal. Liquid propane could enter the system designed for vapor only, possibly creating a hazardous condition.
-copied from-
http://www.coxontool.com/index.php/Airstream/Propane
AlmostThere

Postby JanetA » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:47 am

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHhhhhh!!

thanks for THAT info!
ImageImageImage
JanetA

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 pm

:D You are very welcome!