Batteries - Oh No!!

Batteries - Oh No!!

Postby retiredhappy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm

We had a huge storm the other night and out power kept going off and right back on. After the 4th time I got concerned that my serge protector was having to work overtime so since I have three coach batteries - I unplugged and went right to bed about 9:30. Got up at 5am to let the dogs out and noticed my lights were REALLY dim. Checked the readout and my batteries were down by 3/4 and this was after nothing had been running. Plugged back in and went back to bed. By 9am they were (according to the readout) fully charged again. After I got off work I really took a good look at the batteries and one of them appeared to have leaked on the top. Checked my paperwork and found one battery was two years old (the one I had replaced) and the other two were dated 2003. YIKES!!! Now I knew that even with my battery minder I had let them get low on water a couple of times. You have to remember that if you're plugged in to electric they're recharging and can overcharge which causes them to "leak". I decided to go hog wild and get the sealed batteries. Found a place here in Silver City who cut me a deal on 3 by chopping $20 off each battery and would come out and install them for free and haul away the old batteries. When we pulled all the old batteries out and you could get a good look at the sides of them, two of them were bulging. BAD, BAD, BAD. A bulging battery can explode. So, now I'm poor but happy. I can boondock and no explosions. For me, the extra cost for the sealed batteries is one less thing I have to worry about and deal with. Sometimes you can get a "deal" in a small town cause they need the business more than a big store in a bigger town. Now all I have to worry about is whether he wired all three of them together right. Think I'll unplug tonight and test them out before I leave town. Anyone interested in buying my battery minders (I have three)?
Karen West
Baxter, Sophie, & Bailey

retiredhappy

Re: Batteries - Oh No!!

Postby mitch5252 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:22 pm

Holy Smokes - you got lucky! I'm glad you caught it before trouble.
Three big batteries set you back a couple of pennies, I'd guess! OUCH!

mitch5252

Postby Cedar518 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:24 pm

Sorry,.... no sale here,.. I've got sealed, too. All kidding aside, I'm so glad you got rid of the oldies.... bulging is scary. Stay safe!
Cedar518

Postby VickieP » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:31 pm

I'm so glad you caught this before hitting the road!
VickieP
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3911

VickieP

Postby avalen » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 pm

holy moly, bulging batteries is not good, I better put that chore on my list
for saturday to go out and check mine. (course, at this point I don't think
I really want to know :roll: )
Somewhere with Ava and Maggie
avalen

Return to Maintenance/Tech Issues